Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Trapped Air
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Trapped Air

For 8 years I have suffered from sleeplessness caused by "Trapped Air" in the length of my digestive system.  If I sit up or turn over I expel air.  Additionally, I have acid reflux which I am currently treating with Prilosec.  My stools cause a burning sensation externally.  A GI physician said this could not be from acid because I couldn't possibly have any acid in my system because I was taking 2 Nexium daily at that time.  I have had an endosocopy, colonoscopy, upper GI, that digestive test where the speed of digestion is scoped. All tests were nondefinative although I do have a small hiatal hernia. I have been tested for H. Pylori and am not lactose intolerant.  I do have Spinal Muscular Atropy but am ambulatory.  I am 59 yrs. old.  My physician thought perhaps the muscle disease was causing slowed Peristalic function.  My neurologist said "nope".  I can eat virtually nothing without having indigestion.  I was recently prescribed "Ambien" and at last I am getting some sleep.  The bloating still awakens me and a sudden, prolonged, explosive burp often follows.  I have an electric bed becaause of the GERD and have experimented with the elevation.  This situation is no joke and has a much more profound effect on me than the muscular dystrophy.  Basically I cannot sleep because of the "Trapped Air" and I cannot eat anything without suffering the consequences.  Despite my dietary limitations I am overweight at 5' 3"/160 lbs.  Frankly, I think the gas is produced because of all the acid in my system but all my antiacids should be blocking that.  Who knows?  Do you?