Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Twisted Colon

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Twisted Colon

For about 10 years now I have had cramps(which feel like menstrual cramps) and backaches. After seeing several Doctors, who pretty much always just gave me pain killers & never did any tests. (I assume since they have not been severe enough cramps, they all said it was normal.)Since my cramps have been becoming stronger & more frequent my current Gyno referred me to a GI. The GI had me have a cat scan on my abdomen & pelvic. Well that came back abnormal stating there is Free Fluid in my pelvic, so she suggested I go back to my Gyno. My Gyno said there is no concern for that right now not to worry and suggested I go back to the GI to have a colonoscopy done. So, I just had the colonoscopy done on Monday the doctor said everything looks clear although part of my colon is twisted. She said to take Fiber Con pills and prescribed Nortriptyline (once again pain killers)Then to come back & see her in 8-10 weeks. Does this sound right to you? I dont understand how that would untwist my colon. As far as the Fiber Con pills I have been pretty much been regular as it is. Also, since the colonoscopy I have had a major headache and stomachache, is that normal?  I sure would appreciate any information you could give me.
Thank you so much in advance,
Please take these questions back to your GI doc. Ask him these questions yourself. The folks on here can share their experiences with you but the ultimate advice should come form your physician. Take care...
                                        J.C.I.
What I really want to know is if anyone has heard of a twisted colon? I was just checking to make sure this wasnt just another easy answer the doctors gave me.
Thank You
My dad ~52 years old is experiencing some very strong stomach pains.  He has had 3 recent experiences of this pain approximately 10 days apart and the pain for some strange reason only occurs at night.  His pain is so excrutiating that he has to hold a pillow up to his stomach and stand up and press himself up against the wall to suppress some of the pain.  He consulted with his family physician and he believes that his intestines are twisted.  Probably something similar to what you are going through.  What I don't understand is how did this happen?  and how do we know for sure that this is the case?  Can you share with us some of your symptons?

Thanks.
Hi. I am new to the forum. I have your symptoms too. I only get cramps after eating certain food. I have hypersensitivity to certain food especially with preservative, also the milk. I try to avoid as much as I can any food with preservative.
I, like you, also went to my gyno and after checking everything  he asked me to check my colon. Visited the GI and I had an incomplete colonoscopy. He found a twist in my colon. I did also the Ba enema and everything is normal. I have not recomendation from my GI doctor about this condition. At least I know what is going on with me. I have looked for info  google.com about twisted colon. Could it be something that happens after the 10 weeks of gestation during pregancy so I was born with this? Could it be related to toxin in the colon? What About autointoxication? There is not much info from doctors about it. I am doing  my part. To help my body get rid of allergies/foo intolerance reaction I eat lots of natural pineapple(no canned) to get the enzyme. I am thinking calling back to the office and have another app. with doc to see if he can give more info. I think the only way to go with this: eat Extremely healthy and the only way to live happy. I almost live happy but sometimes I spoil it. Anybody else has more info about, Please post it here. I want to learn more about this.