Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Ulcers, reflux and gall bladder

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Ulcers, reflux and gall bladder

Would like to know if there is anybody who has ulcers/reflux in their 20's.  I have had stomach problems for years, and was always told IBS. Over a year ago started getting what I can only describe as a lump in the throat feeling, and was diagnosed with reflux and tried several PPI's.  Was given an upper endoscopy and they found small, multiple duodenal ulcers and reflux.  Given antibiotics, and strong PPI, no better, and after second endoscopy told I have ulcers in the bottom of the oesophagus and the stomach.  Wondering what could have caused this?
Also had ultrasound and found a small polyp in the gallbladder, told gallbladder will need to be removed due to risk of cancer in later life - is this necessary?
Symptoms include: burning stomach pains, lump in throat feeling, dull ache in top back area, lots of gas, and rumbling hunger pains.
At 23,surely too young for all this?
......Based on what Ive read, Gallbladder troubles go hand in hand with GERD. Another thing Ive read extensively is that no one who has had his/her gallbladder removed has shown any relief/benefit or any significant change in their digestive troubles,on the contrary things have gotten worse. My advise to you is simply to exhaust any and all of your treatment options, do not let anyone (including your physician) make you believe that "it has to be done". Once you let ppl play with your tids and bits there is no reversal. I have over time deviated from using PPIs as much as possible because it seems to me they just hold "an avalanche" that will eventually has to be released. I am taking aloe vera 1 ounce in the morning 1 at night, it has completely relieved my GERD symptoms therefore minimizing the use of PPIs.

Good Luck.
>>>>Another thing Ive read extensively is that no one who has had his/her gallbladder removed has shown any relief/benefit or any significant change in their digestive troubles,on the contrary things have gotten worse.>>>>>

"No one" is a pretty strong term here. I know that some people do have a worsening of problems after GB surgery, but I was just the opposite.

GERD is gone, diarrhea is gone, swallowing problems, chest pains, horrible fatigue and dizzines etc etc.... all gone! I've been very sick for 3 years, but now that the GB is gone, I feel wonderful!!
...........Hate to burst your bubble, but I have indeed read that within the first 2-3 years pain may go away, then it all comes crushing down, same as a fundoplication, its just a temporary solution to what may be a permanent problem.

............Then again, the real essence of my comment was, not to jump the gun for there is a price to pay in the event one (anyone) misdiagnoses a patients condition.

Take care.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I'm still undecided whether to have the GB removed, as from what I have read there does seem to be complications after surgery.
Kat2u - its great that you are feeling better since the surgery!

INALOTOFPAIN - I am taking aloe vera juice daily and have tried homeopathy as alternatives to PPI's for the relief of GERD and ulcer pain but not noticing any relief with the reflux.  
I would love to know how this all started in the first place, nobody seems to be able to tell me that.  Does anyone know how a gallbladder polyp (small lump) might be connected to GERD and ulcers? is it because it is all connected in the the digestion process?
Will GERD ever go? is it necessary to be on PPI's indefinitely?
Does anyone get the globus sensation (lump in throat) associated with GERD?

Less than one out of 10 people have ANY problems at all after GB surgery!! And I personally know OVER 10 people who have had their GB's removed with NO problems, some of them well over the 10 year mark.

It's not fair to scare people off from GB surgery if they need it. I do know that some people do have a worsening of symptoms after removal, but the percentages run against that happening.

All I know is I felt horrible before the surgery.... I didnt exactly have a whole lot of lose by having it removed. Each case is individual, but once again, I hate reading these posts that scare the heck out of people about a procedure they truly may need.

Yes, I had that horrible lump in my throat, trouble swallowing and GERD before my GB surgery. It's gone now. So your GB *might* be causing it, or it may be it's own separate condition.
I agree with KAT2U. I know many people who have had their gall bladders removed and have no noticeable complications --- some of these surgeries were done over 20 years ago. It is fairly rare to have severe complications after gall bladder removal. But complications do sometimes occur, so you have to talk to your doctors, read about the surgery, ask about alternative treatments, etc. in order to make an informed decision.

As for me, I had my gall bladder out about three months ago, and I feel much, much better than I did.

2Young, it sounds like you need more information. Some of your symptoms could have other causes than a malfunctioning gall bladder. There is a radioactive scan, called a HIDA scan, which can check gall bladder function and can be a useful diagnostic if your doctors suspect that gall bladder dysfunction is causing your problems.
I might have to have my GB removed--I eat very healthily
including flax oil and extra virgin olive oil; since
GB implicated in digestion of fats, will my body still
utilize these desirable fats that aid in reducing
cholesterol and increasing HDL--anyone know?
I had my gallbladder removed when I was 24, now I'm 28.  I had to have mine removed because of a tremendous number of tiney stones that were trying to pass, and some did.  I was scared, but for me I had to think about the amount of pain I was in, and the fact that when your gallbladder begins to not function right it will continue.  You can put a band-aid on the problem, and by some time, but eventually- it most likely will have to be removed.
I did have some problems after surgery- They called it "Dumping syndrom (syndrome)"-Yes it sucked and I lost weight, and to this day there are some foods I have to stay away from- but that goes to with I have IBS and GERD also.  I can say this though- My weight stays great because I am more aware of what I eat, and my cholestrol went from 240 at 21 yr of age, to now 167.  No meds required, and I no longer deal with gallstones,and the excruciating pain, and the possibility of one getting stuck and causing a whole lot of other problems.  There is also a give and take in anything, even medical.  At leat for me removal of GB had more benefits, and my quality of life is wonderful now.  

Thanks for some of your postings.  I have to have my gallbladder out and have been really scared after reading some of the complications after sugery.  It is good to hear the cases where some of you feel better and not worse.  thanks