Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Un-digested food or presence of blood in stool?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a female in mid-twenties having many difficulties with bowel movements.  Settling on irritable bowel syndrome I have become used to the constipation/loose stools inconsistancy.  I have had a stool sample taken two months ago resulting negative for occult blood, but I am still nervous and paranoid when it comes to the possibility of blood in my stool.  I have frequent abdominal pains but in inconsistant places.  Recently I have had occurances of diaherra (diarrhea)/loose stools with chunky tomatoe-like pieces in the stool.  The are pink/orange in color.  There are also black pieces (like black leaves or thin papers) and translucent strips (kind of like the outside skin of an onion).  How can one tell whether unusual colors or objects present in the stool may be dangerous or may be a result of blood?  I have never had obvious blood in my stool so I wouldn't know.  Could the chunky red pieces be a part of my insides or the skin-like strips a stripping of intenstine?
I'm looking for an answer to that same question.  I notice little reddish/orange spots in my stool.  I would think if it was blood that it wouldn't look like little pieces of debris.  But I don't know.  I'm hoping it's just food particles or something like that.  Does anyone know or have any insight?
Little red/orange spots are usually from high fiber intake - nothing to be worried about.  Sometimes they just happen.  As for debris, sometimes it comes from ruffage.  I had thin long greenish strips in my stool once and asked a doctor about it.  I had been eating salads pretty frequently - and he said that it was probably bits of lettuce that weren't digested properly.  He also said that this wasn't altogether unusual sometimes the cellulose walls of veggies are hard for your digestive system to break down.
The orange in the stool is most likely to be from undigested food.  I have eaten Papaya and it comes out orange and tomato comes out red.  To prove it drink some liquid chlorophyll (from health shop).  It comes out green.  My small intestine eliminates stuff too quick and this is the result.  I would like to know what causes this to happen??
I too have had undigested food  and green stools but  have eliminated them when I found out that I didn't chew my food very well  especially salids which I ate alot of.  Tomatoes would look like blood which scared me at first.  Green leafy  things were lettuce that I didn't chew well.  Green stools would come if I ate anything with red or blue or green dye.  Power Aid drinks (blue), Cake icing, anything with dye pretty much. Was amazed that they caused this and put a scare into me.  So, that is my story and hope it helps anyone that may be experiencing the same thing.  Ck on what yuo eat with dyes in it  and chew your food good.
I would like to thank you guys for responding to my message.  I do eat a lot of salads and high fiber foods. I am relieved to hear that that is a possible reason for what I was experiencing!!  Thanks!
Hey guys..
I get the same thing it's like little tiny chunks of red/ pinky looking things and typical me jumping to conclusions I thought It was a serious problem eg bowel cancer it sounds ridiculous but I didn't know this kind of thing was common.. I went to the Drs yesterday worried about the inconsistency of my bowel as I was having constipation one day then diarrhea the next but she was sure that it was due to poor diet and stress. Thanks for everyones help I can put my mind at ease now haha