Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Uncontrollable gas - foul smelling

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Uncontrollable gas - foul smelling

I feel bloated all the time, no matter what I eat and have uncontrollable flatulence
Irritable bowel syndrome, malabsorption, inflammatory bowel disease as well as various colonic infections can lead to the symptoms you describe.  

Testing the stool for fat malabsorption as well as blood tests looking for celiac disease can be considered.  A lower endoscopy - such as a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy - can evaluate the lower bowel for infection or inflammation.

If bacterial overgrowth is suspected, this can be tested via a specialized breath test or jejunal aspiration.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have a strong suggestion: Go to the nearest grocery store and purchase Raspberry Tea go home and make it and drink it plain cold or warm 2 x a day. I promise your prayers will be answers after the first couple of cups. Good Luck!
I have had Crohn's long time now but I notice that when it is active I have foul smelling faeces and breath. My gastro says I have bacterial overgrowth in the intestines and has prescribed Cipro, which is working. You may want to try it.
Thanks for the suggestion on IBS, malabsorption, and Crohn.
Actually the surgeon that removed my gallblader (gallbladder) -- I had stones -mentioned I probably had IBS, which made me feel terrible, like saying, sorry your gallblader (gallbladder) was not the cause, but now, let's try IBS... I felt insulted, and instead of going back to treat IBS, I went to a Naturopathy Doctor (ND).
The ND recommended stuff to grow my GI linen, which I've been taken for 45 days, but without success to erradicate foul-smelling gas and bloating.
I'm reading IBS for Dummies, and probably I have Candida Albicans overgrowth, according to some of my symptoms: Overuse of antibiotics; Sugar,Bread,Alcohol cravings; Athletes Foot and Jock Itch; acne; bad breath; low energy; depression.
The diet is avoiding: Sugars -- fruit included --; bread; alcohol; cofee; saccharine or aspartame; wheat.
I think is working because the gas decreased, but I'll see what happens later.
I'll keep you posted.
I had colon surgery may of last year and in december had a somach wrap for gastro problems,etc. Since that time I have had severe gas in the upper stomach, foul smelling, it is sooo annoying. I have not been to the doctor as I have had enough of doctors right now with all the surgery. I did go in March about the gas, and the only thing the surgeon said was it was because I was swallowing too much air. But, I am eating the same way I was before. I have blamed it on the surgeries, but I would love to know what I could do to stop it. I am fine during the night and first thing in the morning, but when I start eating anything, I think I could send a car from one end of the USA to the opposite end. I liked the comment that one person said about the raspberry tea. I am going to try that, also your comment about the sugar, wheat, coffee, etc. If you should find out anything else I would appreciate any info.
I just wanted to thank you.. it makes me feel relieve to know im not alone.. please keep posting your successes/failures as i will do the same..For many of us out there are fed up with living in shame.
Raspberry tea didn't work for me, but it's tasty.
I had better results with Fennel and Ginger teas ,which calm down the intestines.

I bought the book the 'Yeast Connection', and I find useful information and I confirmed some yeast problems thru a questionnaire in this book, plus the saliva test I mentioned before. I also check my ph level in urine and saliva using ph Strips, and are acidic, which is a good environment for the yeast.

Doing web research I found 'Threelac' an anti-yeast product, manufactured in Japan. I started to  take it 2 days ago, and I still haven't noticed any changes; the directions mention an average of 10 days to see results.

Yesterday I ended my 2-week diet and ate bread and sugar. immediatly had gas, so at least I know maybe I also might have developed a wheat allergy, and it manifests in my gut as gas and cramps. I'll be back on the diet, to see whether is sugar or carbohidrates what is causing my gas problem.
However, I think even with flatulence decreased, Ithink I still smell bad, as I observe my coworker reactions when they're close to me.

Next Friday I'll have a follow-up with my ND, I'll let you know what he says, and anyways I'm planning to get back to my PCP, to get a referal to a Gastro Doctor.

I'll keep you informed, and I appreciate your comments and your empathy in this very painful situation.

I recently decided to try Pepcid as I took that before I had my stomach wrap for acid reflux problem. I had no idea that it would help, but it has worked somewhat for me. I take 1 2X day. It has made me a lot more comfortable. I am not saying I don't have gas, but it is not all the time like it was. Before the Pepcid, I was having rumblings and feelings like something very large was moving around in my upper intestine and flip flopping. It was miserable. The Pepcid has worked in that area. It was explained to me that when I had the stomach wrap that the acid would go down rather than up like it had been. So, I figured, if I still had the acid, and it went down, that maybe acid reflux medicine would help. And it seems to help.
ey Tony.....thank God im not the only one.....i thought i was alone....hoever i have the exact same problem..

WE HAVE TO FIND A CURE.  Because my life sucks because of this....i have to sacrifice going out with friends, family, and even school.   Itry to fake sick sometimes just to avoid smelling.

Its really plaguing our lives, but we should find a cure.  I have to compromise my eating habbits.  Everyday i eat lunch at school, and come home around 4.  I then have to eat what ever i can to fill me up.....from there i starve myself the rest of the night - because all teh food that i ate during the day is being digested and turned into poop.. then it takes around 12/ more hours for my body to release it...however it doesnt come out easy.....*THIs may sound WEIRD*  i actually pump water in my rectum/ intestine to force a bowel movement/fully clean the intestine....however i cant pump alot to get my entire colon........

It seemed to have worked for a couple of years.....but im starting to doubt that technique and am insearch of another solution....

I understand tony....we just wanna be normal...live a normal life...interact.....do Normal THings.....I guess we were plagued with this disease or w/e for a reason.

But lets do some research, keep in touch, and help each other out in this epidemic.
HI Chris,
Today I went to see the Naturopath and I discussed my reserach on Candidiasis and the poor man's tests I did to validate it and he agreed I have Candida Albicans overgrowth.

He initially prescribed me probiotics, as he thought I had IBS, but the treatment didn't help, so the next step was Candida overgrowth, which has very similar symptoms as IBS and Liver/Gallbladder issues: Cramps; bloating; excesive gas (foul-smelling)

I did 3 tests:
1) The Saliva test: saliva on a glass of water; strings, speckes or precipitation indicate possible Candida.
2) pH Test. I got Ph strips for $8 and tested saliva and urine; my Ph was acidic 3.8 ~ 6.0 which is a good environment for yeast.
3) I bought the 'Yeast Connection' book -- used ad Amazon -- and answered the candida questionnaire ( you can find it at http://cassia.org/candida.htm )

Dr Kevin mentioned I might have Chrohn or IBD, but the ND told me I don't have that as I don't have blood in my stool or chronic diarrhea.

The ND gave me a bunch of stuff to kill the Candida, and other parasites, and also Bowel Cleanser and Liver Cleanser.

I'll start Tomorrow with this anti-candida regime for 60 days.

The bad thing of Natural medicine is not Insurance-covered and can be a bit expensive, but after suffering for about 1 year, I'll do whatever it takes to recover my life back.

wow sounds like good news Tony.
I hope it works out, because if it does,we will be able to live a normal life again :)  

My Summer vacation for school is about to start, and i wanna try anything to see if anything works or not.  

Tony u gotta keep me posted i need to know if i too have and overgrowth of candida.

Hope you are sucessful with this treatment
Can anyone help me please? I have real bad gas and I don't know what to do about it. I pass gas and don't know it untill someone passes by saying what's that smell. I don't want to sit by anyone I hate going out in public. I have got so that I'm losing my hair worrying about this.
yea shaja we feel your pain..............We suffer from the exact same thing, and since you're here, you're obviously in search of help on the internet

I actually went to the doctor and all he said was to eat more veggies in my diet, however that ******* thinks he knows everything and jumped to conclusions and didnt seem to take this matter seriously

Thats why i am lookin forward to Tony's treatment of his candida or w/e he is on.

If there is no cure, life blows and suicide awaits me.

Hey christopher06 its good to know I'm not alone in this. I know there's a cure out there for us. We have to keep the faith and maybe we're going threw this to help others.  It get hard real hard but I know we all we come out of this together.
Im Just curious........how long have you guys actually had this problem?

i think ive had my entire life.....but i think i started noticing it in the 5th grade

what about you guys?
I think I had it all my life I think the older I get the worst it gets. I go the the doctor on Friday I pray that he can help me. Its killing my social life whats left of it. I've got to the point that I'm thinking about writing Oprah.
I started noticing the problem of gas at the end of high school. But didn't really pay much attention to it. I am curious to why these symptoms produces a gas that only we can smell. Its also interesting that my best friend doesn't even notice the smell. I'm thinking our noises built immunes to the odor. The muscle sensations around my groin area is also a mystery to me. These problems become greater once I start thinking about it and most of the time it starts when surrounded by people in quiet atomospheres. Tell me! why does it strike at vulnerable situations. It hasn't help my dating life much either, ive recently lost the girl of my dreams after all the efforts i put in getting her. She didnt' say anything but i know it was because of my excessive gas. Atleast i got to kiss her, but im not satisfied. Im athletic; I eat well; i excercise; and dont drink soda but on some occasion drink alcohol. Ive been told by my uncle, whose a doctor, that I had IBS. I was horrified at the idea beause IBS is all in your head anyways, so I'm hoping that this is not the case.

Ive tried tony's techniques and experience the one day flu symptoms. The problem still persist but im still going to stick to it. As for the herbal tea, ive notice it does calm down your intestines, doesn't solves it, only holds it off for a short time.
In my case, the gas problem started one year ago.
I think stress+poor diet+change of diet(I'm not american)+no exercise triggered this damn disease in me.

As I said, last Friday I went with the Naturopath, and he agreed with my Candida research. He said Candidiasis is very tough, and needs to be treated very agresively to erradicate it once and for all. He said the diet helps, but proper medicine is what really helps.

The prescription was:
Yeast Treatment: To  Kill that ******* fungi
Colon Clease: To expell the dead candida and other nasty bugs. Also to loose impacted fecal matter.
Liver Cleanse: Candida hides in the liver, and it also gets toxic.
Anti-parasites: Just in case, besides, some parasites/bacterias in your gut can also produce gas
Fiber powder: To control diarrhea and make stool more consistent.
And of course diet: Zero Sugar; No Dairy; No Bread; limited fruit

After 4 days, I'm feelinf much better:
1) Less gas, well I realized if I cheat the diet, even slightly, gas will come. I also researched sulfur contents in food, and avoid sulfur-rich food, as sulfur is what makes our flatus stink.

2)Body Odor, also is getting better, my co-workers still complain, but much less, so I think it's working.

3) I'm expelling weird stuff in the Stool, white grains ( dead candida) and other stuff.

I think it's working, so I'll keep you posted.

As we all know, this damn disease destroys your emotional life, I'm trying to learn Meditation on my own -- I don't dare to take classes, because now I'm afraid of people, the rejection/comtempt really affects me --.
But now I don't feel alone, at least I feel liberated to be able to discuss my problem with you folks, who really understand me and I share your pain. I also have had dark thoughts...

I want to know if there are any girls going threw this. This site really let me know that I'm not along. Tony your info really help me out on asking the doctor questions. I know I have to change my diet and sugar is one of my weakness.
I'd like to ask some cultural questions for the american people.

I'm a male hispanic, 30's, SW engineer (US educated).
I live in New England, work for a large Financial company.

Can you explain to me some gestures I notice from americans when are close to me:
1) Coughing; nose twitching -- well, these are obvious --
2) Some grab their ears
3) some scratch their heads
4) Some pinch their faces
5) I notice comtempt from people who doesn't know me; those who know me, say forced hellos.

I think there is also some race factor, but it could be my imagination/paranoia.

Can you explain what these gestures mean?
Also, why nobody dares to say anything, or even complain to HR?
Are they afraid to start a legal discrimination issue?
I even asked to close people -- well used to be -- about my odor, and they say they cannot smell anything....

I even have asked to my PCP, Nurses, Gastro and Urologist, and they said the same: they cannot notice my odor, but I swear to God it's not my imagination...

Tony either people around u are just trying to be nice.......
or they havent been around u long enough to smell it.

I noticed that my odor is not a constant smell.  Its basically comes out at random times, so maybe if u asked ur doctor on teh spot he might not have smelt anything because your body didnt release it AT that time.  

But it is not ur imaginatino because u have seen others react to your odor, and u sometimes smell it.  

I remember i asked my brother one time and he kept denying...and he finally said just alil.

you cant really confront people you know because they will always be nice to you; unless they're the type of people who speaks their mind.  

Also about forced hello's.  Maybe since we have this condition, we have not really been friendly/ascertive to people.  

I dunno thats just what i think

-by the way hows the treatment coming along? any progress?-
only if we can take somekind of medicine that would neutralize the odor of ****.  

So lik if we release gas intentionally or accidentally, it would be odorless..... YOu can even **** in ur pants and people wont notice anything but your facial expression.

Or, another thing.  What if we take laxadives (the crazy one where u **** lik within an hour)  during the evening.....expell all/most of our stools at night, then the next day we should have a clean intestine which equals no smell...

I am so desperate for anything and im just coming up with random ideas.  I wish doctors would take this more seriously and take this into consideration of a serious epidemic.

But there must be a reason why we have this problem of releasing gas......There must be something in our digestive system that isnt controlling the gas...like a muscle or something that doesnt do its job.  

Also i would like to add that this disease or w/e sucks compare to anything else.  

For example if u have aids, you will die, but atleast u can make life worth while and live life to the fullest.  If you have cancer (depending on what kind), you are also enabled to associate with people.  Life is nothing without companions.  Our disease causes us to live a long and lonely life; and some might want to do the unthinkable-suicide.

Atleast this is how i feel about our disease.  No one will ever understand what we've gone through unless they experience it themselves.  I just wonder how we have the courage to live for the next day......This is so depressing. Atlease you guys are here to console with me.  

But all i have to say is that doctors jump to conclusions thinking they know your sympton and they really dont.  They dont take everything into consideration.  Doctors suck...we need a specialist in this forum.  

Chris,
I also tried an enema, and I felt better next day, less odor.
I bought a 2Q for $12 at Walgreens and used plain water, however you can use coffee, teas, yogurt, probiotics.
I think I'll try enemas once a week (Sunday night) as I read your intestines can become adicted if you do it frequently.
I've read laxatives can be addictive and on the long run weak the intestinal muscles and can lead to serious problems.

The naturopath's Candida prescription seems to work.
I also read that other causes for fecal breath/odor/gas can be:
- Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS)
- Bacterial Gut Infections, like Helicobacter Pylori which causes Ulcers and other diseases
- amino-acid defficiencies

What mostly convinced me of the odor was LGS, as its name implies, Candida roots (rhizoids) penetrate the intestinal mucus and allow candida and other bacteria toxins to reach the bloodstream and your lungs, so these toxins finally are excreted thru sweat, and finally is what you smell, even when you kill your skin's bacteria.
Candida causes LGS, but there are other causes; my plan is to stick to the Candida diet + Candida Killing Medicine.

A month ago I finished my Masters, and the last 2 semesters were really painful. Can you imagine to be in classroom, surrounded by 30+ people coughing, sniffing, twitching noses... I mentally disconnected, otherwise I'd had fled...

In my case, I know this disease won't kill me, but the psycho-social effect is devastating, and most of the people is not supportive, they just try to make you life miserable.

I also rented Meditation/Relaxation DVDs at Netflix, as I need some way to carry this heavy cross on my back; I even have lost my faith in god... but I have to go on.

That's one thing we can't do is lose our faith. If we keep on praying God will give us the answer. I know we want it now and we are all saying why me. I have to pray about this everyday. I was at work the other day and a empty seat was next to me but this lady refuse to sit there. I know why she didn't sit there she just made an excuse that she like to be closer to end. I just went to the bathroom and cried. I hate going to work because people can be so mean only if they knew what we are going threw. I consider myself to be a very clean person so I know its not taking care of my body. I know theres something for us we will be normal again.
i have the EXACT same problems as every single one of you. i'm a 15 year old girl who has suffered from these symptoms for 2 whole years now and i am at my wits end. i never even used to smell it AT ALL! but people's reactions to it and word getting around about my stench made me realize that i had a HUGE problem. i'm now in the process of switching schools right BECAUSE of this problem. i have been embarassed and humiliated until i can't take it anymore. boys in my class last year used to make fun of me by making fart noises across the room and smiling at me. people used to sit at one end of the room and say to each other " OMG, i hope she doesn't sit on this side today." i felt like dying. well, i consulted my mother on this problem, and she basically told me "well, i never see you drinking water! and i never see you eating good foods. and how often do you have a bowel movement? do you chew your food slowly and thoroughly? i'm not saying starve yourself, but do you ever try fasting for at least 2 days out of every 2 weeks to cleanse out your colon (but still drinking water and low-sugar juice)." well, i tried these things, and they helped! i mean, the problem is still there, a little, but it has decreased a lot (by like 80%). and i mean it sure is better than nothing. now, i'm entering by sophomore year a bit more confident, but i am striving for NO GAS AT ALL.

yea i have to starve myself also......i eat at lunch....and eat whatever i can when i get home from school.....

by the time i wake up the next morning...my body fully digests the food and i just take a sh*t.  But sometimes it doesnt come out in time...and i do go to school releasing gas.......

and i broke a mirror today....i doubt that will help my condition
Hey, I just wanted to see how everyone was doing.
Hi All,
Just a heads up on my Naturopath's Candidiasis Treatment after 2 weeks.
The bad odor intensity has decreased. My contiguous cubicle coworkers are my odor-meters. I noticed they cough and sneeze less.
I also have less gas, but found out if I take bread/cookies or candies and/or cofee -- even in small quantities -- I got gas, but at least now it's less smelly. It is very difficult to stick to such a stricy diet, but the ND said once the Candida is controlled, I'll be able to eat normally.

Bloating is less, but I noticed I still have stomach growling (borborygmi) about 2 hours of having breakfast, which usually is oatmeal only.

It might not be nice, but I'd like to comment on the stool.
The first days I expelled some weird things: tiny white balls, brown strands, and something that seemed like a worm. The fiber product( Rejuve Powder) makes it bulky, which is good.

I also noticed that the day after an enema, I almost didn't have gas/ bad odor at all. I went to a medical appointment, and I didn't notice other people's reactions, as usually.

I tried the Candida Saliva Test again, and it is still positive, but much less. Last time I smelled the sediments, and it was really bad... this time it was much less.

My PH is increasing -- I'm becoming more alkaline -- and that's good for me, bad for the candida. I also found interesting info on "alkaline diets" relating bad health with acidic PH and the way to compensate is alkalinize you body thru diet. This is a chemical principle, so for me really makes sense.

So far so good, the problem with the diet is a feel weak, even to work out, which I think would be great. I also take cold-water showers -- well start warm and gradually make colder -- and that helps me to control sweat, which I guess has toxins that stink.
I also try to use unscented body wash, soap and deodorant, as I noticed if I use fragances, the smell is really worse.

I also drink much more water. If I drink hot coffee or tea, I sweat, and therefore I stink.

In the laboral side, I still feel hopeless. Many coworkers make my life miserable, and I'm almost isolated. I'd like to get a new job, but in this condition, I think I wont get it, despite my qualifications.  

First of all, I apologize for being so graphical but, maybe in doing so, It would help, in understanding my condition.

In addition to the excessive gas, constapation is another symptom to this condition. I try to defecate before going to class because of the fear of smelling bad. Maybe its in my head but I feel that i havn't excreted everything in my bowels. Then I sit there using most of my energy to finish and most of the time nothing comes out. I also notice myself sweating profusely during the process. It might be normal to some people but I dont usually sweat that much, not even in the hot sun while playing sports.

Another symptom resulting from the constapation, is anal fissure. The reason for that is due to too much wiping. Some people might say I shouldn't wipe so hard or excessively but imagine the feeling of anxiety because your unsure if you smell bad or not. Even after i take a shower, I wipe, and stool residue is still there.

I have tried the canida saliva test and found string like substances floating. I am still not completely sure I have canida because there is bountless information online and some even discrediting the other.

I notice in my diet that not eating some stuff such as: flour, surgar, dairy, and most condiments has help decrease the gas immensely. But I even sometimes forget or cheat this diet.

Tony - Enema seems a little extreme to me, if you can, can you explain how it helps a little more from your own experience.
About the enema...
Yes, I don't like it -- I'm a guy --, but I noticed after using it I have less gas and less bad odor.

I read on this forum and others enemas can help to cleanup colon, and I tried and it works, at least the effect last for a couple of days. I also tried, because it's cheap and in my view doesn't represent a hazard.

I'm doing well with the Naturopath treatment, but I still have gas and bad odor. I realized Anxiety makes it worse. I haven't succeded with "Meditation" DVDs, I got sleepy. I also tried Audiobooks, but I get bored.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a Dermatologist. I want to see what he/she says about my body/odor and sweat problem.

Regarding Candida tests, yes there are many. The ideal is to get a stool analysis, but it's expensive ( 300 USD). Also, I'd recomend to try the candida questionnaires (http://www.yeastconnection.com) to see whether you have candida. In my research, our problem can have many causes.
So i went in for a check up today. My new doctor seemed a little skeptical about my self-proclaimed diagnoses. He told me that he cant asses the condition with only one symptom(flatulence). So im going back tomarrow for stool and blood testing.
Hello Everyone. My name is Jessica and if you couldn't tell by the title i am in Ghana.(every other name was chosen)but only here for 2 more weeks- Thank God,
So, I seem to have some of the symptoms you great people are producing. Except i have had it for 5 years. I am 21.
Here is what is going on...
I have gas, I used to feel it,. For about 1 year I could feel the gas, and it embarassed me greatly. then, all of the sudden I stopped feeling it, and only sometimes- when I need to use the washroom, or when i eat something fatty or lactose infested I can feel it.
It makes me laugh to read all of the comments that people make to you, but I certainly am no exception. I have people insinuate that I smell like **** all day. People cough, hold their noses, people burp and say escuse me when they pass me- (trying to tell me to do the same-. The girls in High School- and for that matter the guys too were also real kind. I too have a serious problem in my social life, but luckily it was kind of a God blessing for the first few years of this problem i was surrounding myself with really bad people. I do believe that God will see me through this. Although it has been a long time. I too have also had bad thoughts, and felt hopeless, isolated, and misunderstood. People are vultures, right? Let us all remmember that, so that when we do get cured we do not turn on people, and can remmember peoples pain. We dont need to go freedom fighter turned dictator, if you will pardon my metaphor or what not. Like I said im in ghana working at liberian refugee camps. Even bums, and refugees who shower once every 4 days try to give me perfume. Sad, but kind of funny. We must try to find some humor.
So, I am going to check out this Candida, and see if it is something i should check once i return to the U.S. And, Tony, yes people do say forced hellos, as in the U.S we are kind of impolite in comparison to Mexicans, and so many other nationalities, we are rude, and pretty cold- or should i say a lot of people are, not myself, or by the sound of it you all.
Please continue to post about your treatment, and all of you continue to fight to find information on our conditions, so that we can lean upon one another. Good night, and God bless to all of you.
There is no cure out there huh..........wiil we just live a unsocial life?

I am about to start a job and yet im scared that i will just stink up the place...
Hey Chris,
Congrats on your new job. I also would like to get a new job, but I'm afraid that our 'little' secret could have an adverse effect during the interview. How did you manage to get the job? Any tips and feedback are appreciated.

Today, I made an appointment to see a Gastroenterologist again. After 3 weeks, the Naturopath's Candida treatment has not been effective. Well, at least the odor is less pungent, which I attribute to the Candida and other intestinal bugs I expelled, but the gas and the fecal BO is still there.

forgive me Lord because I sinned... Yesterday I couldn't resist and stopped by Dunkin donuts. I ate 2 doughnuts and a medium coffee -- With splenda, of course --. And Today I felt really bad. I even noticed the powerful aroma of my .... you  know. Sorry for been so graphic, but I confirmed that the combination of Carbohidrates+Sugar+Fats really upset my gut.
Even a simple sandwich makes me feel bad and gassy.

does anybody have suggestions on How to survive and stick to a diet?

My gastro appointment is on the 25th. I'm not very happy -- after all, this guy is the one who recommended to get my gallbladder out --, but I think he's experienced and is recommended by my HMO (Harvard Pilgrim).

I'll post my results after my appointment.
Hey thanx tony.....dang thingss arent progressing from the sound of things....

For my interview i had to Enema

also i had to clinch the muscles to prevent me to expell the gases.

Sigh.......Will we ever live a normal life???  This blows.

Theres another forum lik this one u started tony...anotehr guy named rockbottom posted on this site about 2 years ago and there was no solution other than undergarmets....

I've also read that our intestines have these things called sphinctors or someting lik that.....  (they are the rings in the intestine that give the intestine the rugged bumpy look) anyways sphinctors are teh things that control our poop and gases.

I think we have a malfunction with our sphinctors - they dont sync and work with each other.  

May be u can ask your doctor to see if there is any medication out there that correct this....however i doubt it because doctors who have not experienced this will not even attempt to help/cure us...

anyways good luck on the 25th
Hi guys I pray about a cure every night. I had another bad day at work. I pray that one day I can just sit around others and not worry about my odor. This is really ruining my life.  I go to the doctor on Friday praying that someone can really help me. I will let everyone know what happens.
Alright. This really is nuts, and entirely frusterating. I have been doing a lot of research. There must be an answer. The sphincter comment is right on. There are a few things that i can found that may have attributed to not feeling it. There could be a problem with our muscles, for that everyone should start doing pelvic floor exercises. Just look up a ton online, and work for it.
Two, the pressure. I once had a doctor tell me that there wasn't anything severally off with my muscles, even though the numbers on the test were slightly off. He instead said that the pressure of it coming out was just to great. Meaning that it just forced its way out at speed.
Third, I read somewhere, that hyperactivity i believe it is called, or where you are very nervous, and it becomes physical- you know; heart beats faster, sweaty palms, etc.. it will eventually lead into not being able to feel your bowel.
Fourth, Bowel Spasms. Meaning, the bowel spasms and gas is released.
Fifth, there is the swallowing of air, which is very hard to change I would suppose. Unless anyone knows of a way to change that?
I do think that there might be a problem, or some abnormality in the muscles of us. Being that we cannot feel it. Other than that, we may just have a case of IBS or something rather insignificant and easy to control. If I could only tell when I have gas, I would be able to figure out what to cut out of my diet.
Also, hyperventilating. Meaning breathing shallowly and fast can be attributed to creating gas. Or maybe the swallowing of the air.
I say we investigate the muscles. At least we have eachother to gather information off of! We must use this to our advantage.
Thanks for the sphinctors info. I'll check it.
By the way, I use undergarments. I started using charcoal pads that you tape in your underwear (Flat-D pad), but they weren't very effective, well the odor is lowered, but still get its way out. They cost ~ 12 USD and last 2 weeks. This is comfortable to wear.
Currently I use Under-Tec underwear (under-ease), is more hermetic and has an independent & replaceable charcoal filter. This cost $25 USD. This works fine, but the problem is the gas concentrates and after a couple of hours it leaks out.
This underwear is a bit uncomfortable, and you need to use loose pants. the problem is the concentrated odor sticks to the underwear, and having one for every day can be expensive...

I realize I might have lost some sphincter sensitivity, as when I use Under-ease, I feel the pressure of the flatus while I'm seated, but I don't have the sensation I'm passing gas. These flatus are silent-but-deadly.

I also read about aerofagia -- air swallowing --, which I think I do, I can control it a bit using simethicone ( Gas-X ). the problem is after taking these pills I start burping...

I really appreciate all your comments, and lets keep trying to find the cure to this terrible malady.

Regards, Tony

Is it too good to be true or just another gimmick? Fecal incontinence.. if this is true i can actually put a face on this demon.

http://www.bowel-incontinence.org/index.htm?G=fecal-incontinence1
Well, I think that is definately a suggestion. Something for us to seriously consider. I mean, they diagnosed me with this, and put me into physical therapy, but it didn't work. I knew there were surgical options for this, but I didn't know that there was the option of secca? That sounds like something I might be willing to undergo.
So, I will make an appt. with a specialist upon my return, and see if i am a candidate for secca. It seems to help with sensation, and the muscles themselves. That sounds exactly like what we are experiencing.
Oh, and this problem is fueling my concentration on doing pre-med. Which is one positive~!Everyone just hold on a bit. Maybe we will be able to find a solution for this problem. :)
It seemed like every one was starting to lose hope in finding a cure. Im also guilty of this. But finding 100% cure or not, we have definitely found ways to subside our suffering. So we cant lose hope.  I know, my nickname is hypocritical but i'll gladly change it if it adds to any air of anxiety. Like inGana said there were no names left, my only other option would probably be inCali.

Anyways, I agree with tony, it sounds like there is  many causes. Im no doctor, yet, but symptoms could be attributed to: ibs, candida, and incontinence. It would explain a whole lot to what we are experiencing. Just my two cents.

I'll be attending UCLA next year and im praying i dont make a smelly impression.
hmmm... very interesting....well i was readin that page "http://www.bowel-incontinence.org/index.htm?G=fecal-incontinence1" and i read about this 48 old lady who couldnt control her fecal.  It just came out.  Well i do believe our problem is due to a malfunction in our sphincters........ however it is diffucult to correct it w/o surgery (i think).

Ive also read on some sites with women who have given birth.  During labor one of the mother's muscle in the anus was torn...
and eversince then she has had problems with leakage of fecal and gas.  The anus muscle does infact contain the gases.

In my experience, i was in class and i heard this kid complain about the gas i released.  And i didnt even know i released it until i took a sniff down..  From then on, i would clinch my anus muscle.. Although it was unconfortable, it did contain my gas.  I used to walk by his desk and he used to cough or turn away.....but eversince ive been clinching that muscle, he sort of believed it was an accident that one time and does not turn away when i go to my seat.

Just a thought....

Just a thought....
well chris I need to clinch away then. It happen again at work they where coughing too. Whats all that for its driving me crazy. It makes me want to quit my job and just stay at home but if I do that then they win. I want to be able to eat the food I want and not have to worry about leaking gas. I go to the doctor soon and I hope he has something to say that will really help me.
Yeah, for me I cannot even smell it. Like, I must have grown immune or adapted to it. It really sucks. I also find that I cannot smell other basic scents, a guy was explaining something to me the other day and telling me that i would be able to find my way there due to a nearby chicken farm. He said that I would smell it. Well, he tried repetatively to have me pick up the scent, but my nostrils refused.
I really don't think it is a good idea to abuse those enemas, or to starve ourselves. I know that one thing about IBS is that it is better if we eat consistantly througout the day. I think we should do that, and drink a lot of water.
I am actually hanging out with this top of the line med student over here, and we are trying to think up basics to our issue. I am making an appointment with a doctor in Wisconsin upon my return in two weeks, to get a colonoscopy and I would like that one treatment- the one i mentioned earlier, that isn't surgery, but seems to trigger the muscles to work better and hightens sensation. I actually was recommended to the doctor via the website that somone was great enough to post earlier on here. Thank you.
I also agree that we have a combination of these matters. Did anyone used to feel it, and then one day stopped feeling it?
Well, love to hear from you all. Take Care, and stay focused on trying to figure it out... well, how could you not?
jessica
Hey Shaja, I posted right after yours, and hadn't read it. Um, while you guys are clinching suck in as tight as possible- research how to do kegels. That is how they tell you to do it in physical therapy. Also, I prob should mention that I am going to buy a book called: Pelvic Floor Exercises By: Beate Carriere. It looks like something we need. And, hey, don't worry about any of "those people" If there is anything this condition has taught me it is that "those people" aren't so hot themselves. Like really, why do people feel the need to pick on you or embarass you in front of others when you do nothing to them? Oh Come on. When this is fixed i am going to be very selective with friends, and prob come across as very stuck up to the others i would imagine. Stay positive, all of you. With 5 people on this we can figure out a solution.
Goodnight
I was wastching this paid program called almighty cleanser on tv(procrastinating an essay) and it was on colon cleansing. ive been reading over the comments and Im not sure if any one has tried this.

Well in it was two guys, one guy playing the dumb guy of course. " Are you serious joe!? thats amazing!" god, i'd like to punch that guy for being so dumb. anyways the program suggested that fecal builds up in our colon and harden to make it narrower.

The medicine claims to push out this build up that looks like a foot long grub and feels like rubber.

Im a major skeptic but colon cleasing is a thought. Im going to go talk to my doctor about it.
I figure theres only a couple solutions to our condition

1) we find a to make poop smell pleasant.....
2) we must somehow correct our sphincters muscles
3) we must correct our anus muscle (kegels excercise or w/e)
4) we must evacuate all the fecal waste (somekind of crazy
   enema)
5) someone figures out an oral medication that fixes everytype
   of digestion problems.

hahhah only if i could do atleast one of the following......

Tony
I don't know if this will help, i am looking at this myself. i put in the search for false fat.  i know when i cut out he foods that i was tested for.  i lost huge amounts of weight and i did not have the gas anymore.  I paid mega bucks at a clinic in atlanta and i found out in buying the book i could have paid 1/10th the price.  i hope i hAVE HELPED YOU
sj
Does anybody suspect parasites?  I can't believe there's somebody out there I can share my problem with!  Especially after being surrounded by people (including family members ) who have suggested it being "all in my head" (maybe it is considering it gets worse when I'm next to people especially "outsiders") and suggesting "hypnosis"!!!!

What about water??  Do you drink bottled water?  Do you reuse milk cans to fill water?  Maybe it might be the bacteria..?  Just a thought..

And also this problem started all of a sudden?   Oh!  I am so glad you guys are there!!!
Does anybody here have gum disease?  For me I think this problem started during a really really bad /stressful period  too.  gum disease, failed a class (first time in my life), had problems at home (sisters/brothers picking on me for no reason!).. guess I couldn't handle it..

My description of the problem is .. have to go to the bathroom all the time, and there's an involuntary (bad) smell coming from me especially when in places like class/work where you are close to people...(Its not flatulence).. but I guess you can describe it as gas ... because that's the only way a smell (from your intestines) can come from you.  At first I didn't realize it was coming from me!  How can a smell like that come from me!  It was only after a 100 "coincidences" that I started to suspect it was me and now its confirmed that I'm the one producing this odor!  It was after I realized that 99% of the time I smell this odor I have a burning sensation/ pain in my lower back near the kidneys.. when this smell is obvious.  and I have to go to the bathroom often.  

Hope somebody finds a solution!!!
Hey Tony
I have also been having a terrible time with gas. I was bloated and no matter what I ate it added to the problem. I would have to keep going to the bathroom and felt embrassed when sitting next to someone in a quiet  place my stomach would make the most embrassing noises constantly. My problem is that I have Gallstones. Someone told me about Losec caps and I highly reccomend them. I use the 40mg cap once a day and found them just great - I have no gas problem as long as I take one every day....you have nothing to loose- try them!!

blessings
colleen
I am a 20 year old male and I have this problem as well. It ONLY happens during school, and ONLY in my morning class (which starts at either 7:30am 8:30am). The classes are one hour long and it usually starts 15 minutes into the class after I sit down. It isn’t a constant smell; it comes out in waves that last a couple of seconds to a minute, then there isn’t a smell for about 1-5 minutes, and then it comes out for a couple of seconds to a minute. I also have wetness in my anal region a lot. I got checked out by the doctor (finger examination only), and he said that there was nothing wrong with my anus and that there is no damage. I have daily bowel movements every morning, and I have no pain in my anal region, and I am on a high fiber diet with lots of water. For exercise, I take walks for 30 minutes each night. Since it is summer and I don’t have school right now, I am not experiencing this problem, but I believe it will come back when school starts, unfortunately.

It didn’t happen for no reason, however. The odor problem started in around November 2006, and I had previously been constantly constipated since the summer of 2005. There was a lot of straining in my bowel movements and I usually couldn’t get the last bit of medium-sized stool out no matter how hard I tried. This was caused by poor diet habits and extreme amounts of stress. I barely drank any water (maybe a glass of water each day), and instead drank a couple of glasses of orange juice, and a lots of soda every day. I ate lots of red meat, fish, and ice cream, and foods that were high in fat. During one of my bowel movements, there was bleeding, but it only happened once (this was a couple of months before the odor problem) and the bleeding didn’t last too long. My anus was sore for a week and the inside seemed inflamed for about a week, and I saw my doctor and I was prescribed laxatives, which fixed the soreness problem. During late April 2007, in addition to the odor, I had an anal fissure which lasted for around 2 months (I was told, by my doctor, to take sitz baths to relieve the problem. The anal fissure just looked like a split in my perineum (region between scrotum and anus) and it was very wet; there was no bleeding.

During late April 2007, right after I got an anal fissure, I started changing my diet and also my habits in general. I avoid foods that are high in fat, I don’t eat dairy (except for milk with my cereal in the morning and dairy yogurt in the morning), I don’t eat red meat or fish, and no eggs. I avoid foods that cause smelly gas, such as cabbage, broccoli, beans, fish, red meat, eggs, cheese, onions, and garlic. Most of these foods are high in sulfur, which causes smelly gas. If I eat meat, I only eat chicken. The only caffeine I get is a cup of black tea in the morning. This diet change has caused the odor to be more faint, and has decreased the frequency of the odor as well. For the most part, my daily meals consist of cereal with milk for breakfast; a frozen food type of entree (like the lean cuisine brands) for lunch, which usually has chicken in it; and for dinner, I usually have pasta (with olive oil and parmesan). I also eat at least 3 servings of fruits a day, but no vegetables, and I eat a lot of whole grains. As I said before, for exercise, I take 30 minute walks every night, which has seemed to help as well.

I am curious about a few things which may help all of us out:

1.When does this odor problem occur for you guys (and be specific, please)? Can you also describe how it occurs (like does it constantly smell etc.)?
2. What exactly is in your diet (do you eat dairy, red meat, fish, or eggs?)?
3. What makes it worse (for example, diet, habits, stress)?
4. What things do you believe led to this problem?
5. Did you get checked out by a doctor? If so, what did they tell you?

Can the people who have posted about their problem already answer these questions? I think we can make our problem less worse if we can find some similarities in our problem and identify certain things that seem to make it worse or that help make it better.

I’ve searched everywhere about this problem, and I think it is an anal fistula. It fits the symptoms, and it can sometimes be hard to detect. The cause of the odor in an anal fistula is the secretion of a foul-smelling mucus from a tiny hole in the anal region, or in the rectum.

Also, can you guys try to change your diet to eliminate foods that cause smelly gas and tell us how it affects the odor?
Yes!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!! I had the same problem!  It started exactly and I mean EXACTLY 15 minutes after class started, ie, 15 minutes after I sat down.  I would describe the "emission" of the smell like the smell that "comes" out of your face region before you are going to throw up except this time its the other end !  I'm just saying this in response to comments like "" didn't clean up well" after you've gone to the bathroom" (I'm serious... somebody did say this!).  I have no idea what food types are causing this.  In fact I too have started keeping a journal of what I'm eating and what times the problem starts.  Can't come to a conclusion yet.  Yes,  I "realized " my problem in Jan. 2006.  I think it started two years earlier, but I never realized it, because I just kept blaming the "other person" in my head.  I too realized that I had been drinking orange juice a lot for years.  

I am a Nutritionist.  I have seen your problem.  It is usually related to candida.  The very best probiotic you can take is called Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life.  You can purches it buy calling Apple A Day at 877-277-5357.  The reason you have this smelly gas is because the food your eating is literally fermenting in your colon.  You said you tried charcoal caps to help with the gas. Some people must take 6 at a time to get help.  Try that.  It's not cure, but will help with the symptoms. When you have a healthy, normal, bowel movement, you won't have so much gas. Buy (from the health food store) Aloe Vera caps.  Take them with Georges Aloe Vera juice.  Take as many as you need each need to make your bowels move completely the next morning.  A normal, healthy, bowel movement is at least 2 to 3 feet long and in the shape of your colon. Aloe is not a laxative so it's safe.  But it WILL move your bowels.  Believe me, your problem is yeast.  Run to your nearest book store and buy the book, The Makers Diet, by Jordan s. Rubin. He had a worse case than you and cured himself by changing his diet, and taking Primal Defense Ultra.  If you are still battling this after going on his diet, and taking PDU, and above all, cutting out the foods that feed yeast because they are fermenting in your system....then make an appointment with Dr. Don Clobert.  Check him out at hs web site.  He also has 2 tiny but great books on yeast, called The Bible Cure for Candida Yeast Infections, and The Bible Cure Recipes for Overcoming Candida.  I'd order them from him if I were you. By the way, he's in Fla.  And he CAN get you cured.  It will take about a year for you to get better, so stay deligent and keep the faith.
PS
Have you ever tried a colonic?  If I were you, I'd be getting a colonic once a week.  
A related discussion, foul smelling flatulence all time was started.
A related discussion, Yes Us girls have this problem too was started.
A related discussion, SEVENTEEN & MY LIFE IS RUINED. was started.
A related discussion, I need info on extreme gas was started.
A related discussion, Can full bowel cause blood in urine? was started.
A related discussion, Constant Gas was started.
A related discussion, What about low stomach acid????? was started.
A related discussion, Antiflatuelence underwear was started.