Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Undiagnosed weight loss and stomach issues

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My health situation is that I have been unintentionally losing weight and having stomach discomfort (gassy stomach and bloating), loose stool and diarrhea for over a year. I have discussed with my doctors about bacteria infections and a malabsorption syndrome.  They have ordered a colonoscopy, endoscopy with biopsy, parasite test, and blood work, but all test results have come back looking normal.  

I was wondering what your opinion is for repeating these tests, and if you have any suggestions for further testing. Thank you,

Evan
There has been a comprehensive evaluation, and I agree with the testing that has been done.  Many of the major GI diseases would have been excluded already, including the various forms of dyspepsia, inflammatory bowel disease, or cancer.

I would consider more specialized test, including a blood test to evaluate for celiac disease and breath tests to exclude bacterial overgrowth.  

If the test remain negative, irritable bowel disease can be considered and treated appropriately with tricyclic antidepressants or the antibiotic Rifaximin.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd
Hi Robert, our symptoms sound very familiar.  I have had all of the tests that you spoken of plus a few more.  One of the main tests that helped w/ my diagnoses was a gastric stomach emptying study.  Easy easy test, you eat something with something in it that the xray machine can read, lay under this machine for a couple of hours and it can then tell them how fast your food is digesting and how fast or slow that your stomach is emptying.  I have just gone totally blank on everything that I know about this tes!.  I am  having a blonde moment......lol....., no really!!!!!!

I was diagnosed w/ Idiopathic Gastroparesis proven by the stomach emptying test.  My stomach just doesn't do the job anymore and it takes many hours, up to 18, to digest anything.  This disease is very common in people w/ diabetes, which I don't have.  I am also ony 43, 39 when this mess started.  

You might want to talk to your dr. about this test.  My Gastroenterologist was the one who performed this.  Not sure what kind of dr. you re going to.   Just my opinion/suggestion which is the reason that I am always on this site looking for more information myself.   Take care and you are in my thoughts.
Kimberly, Oklahoma