Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Unexplained vomiting

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Unexplained vomiting

Twice in the last two weeks I have had unexplained vomiting episodes.  It comes out of nowhere and i end up vomiting for about 4 hours.  During the episodes I experience chills and sweating but I don't have a fever.  There are no other symptoms that may indicate a virus such as diareah or fever.  After I have vomited everything out I am weak but am able to hold down fluids and the next day I am fine.  I just got a blood test done and everything is normal, no diabetes,signs of cancer, or anemia, and I am not allergic to the most common food allergies (nuts/soy).  I went to a doctor but he has no anwers for me and I'm scared its going to happen again - please help! Also, I am a vegetarian and have a slight lactose intolerance but on the days I have experienced the vomiting I did not have any dairy.  
I agree with the workup this far.  

An upper endoscopy would be the next reasonable step.  This can look for anatomical lesions that can lead to persistent nausea and vomiting.  

More specialized tests can be discussed with your GI physician.  This can include a 24-hr pH study and gastric emptying scan.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Hi amy, I feel bad for you. I know how you feel. All my life I've gotten vomiting episodes that come out of nowhere, they don't last long, and pretty soon. I'm eating again and feeling better.

I agree with kevin, you should get an endoscopy done. You should also be tested for Gastroparesis (which is a delayed emptying of the stomach). It's often spontaneous and can be associated with other medical conditions such as (even though you said you don't have it) type 1 and 2 diabetes, celiac, parkinson's disease, etc... To get tested for that, you would need to do a radioisotope gastric emptying scan. I also would get an HIV test. Not saying that you have it, but at least it would be ruled out. I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks!  My doc made me feel like i was crazy and nothing was wrong but I have an appointment with a specialist next week so hopefully I can get some answers thanks for your insight!

You're welcome!
any fatty meal association???
No, but actually both times it happened i had meals that had tofu, tomato sauce, and spices in them.  I told my doctor this and asked to be tested for food allergies.  I am not allergic to soy and my doctor brushed it off after my tests came back negative for food allergy and diabetes.  I have been reading about gerd though and it seems like the tomato sauce and spices can be triggering the vomiting.  So I think i may either have gerd or the delayed emptying.  I will be seeing a specialist next friday so when I get the results back I will definetly post what it is!  
I went through the same thing several years ago. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy.  I have one question for you.  Have you eaten any shrimp lately?  For me that is what caused it.  I ate some bad shrimp and now I have a permanent bacterial infection.  It only bothers me if I eat shrimp or scallops and every now and then crabs.  My doctor didn't know how to get rid of it.  So, think back about what you have eaten and good luck!