Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Unusual stools - Anxiety - Feelings of impending doom

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Male - age 42.
Let me start by saying that I have been plagued by a fear of disease and dying for years and I know that has caused me to stress about many things over the years that have turned out to be nothing.  But who knows, there might be something really wrong with me some day and I will need to get it taken care of.  My latest battle has been with bowel movements.  I was diagnosed with diverticulosis about 3 years ago and maybe that contributes to some of this - maybe?  I have had a couple pencil thin stools but most are not that thin.  If something was seriously wrong, wouldn't they ALL be pencil thin?  I also notice little reddish spots in my stool but am thinking they are food particles.  Wouldn't actual blood be obvious?  Or wouldn't obvious blood be runny and color the water?  I have had a lot of loose stools but they seemed to have firmed up some since I started exercising regularly over the last few weeks.  I do get some slight crampy feelings on occasion but rarely severe.  I also have a slight feeling that I'm not done going even after I've finished and that lasts a few hours.  I was diagnosed with type II daibetes about a month ago but have been successful, thus far, at controlling blood sugar with diet and exercise.  Would diabetes contribute to any of this?  I know I've thrown a lot out there but if anyone has any insight on any of this stuff, I'd appreciate reading your comments.  Thanks!
1 Comment
Anxiety can cause those pencil thin stools.  When you're anxious, your muscles tense up, including your anus :-D.  Those orange spots could be something you ate, such as sandwhich meat or anything.  Lol, i posted a similar question, but i didn't really get a response so i asked a doctor.  I couldn't tell you 100% if it was blood or not, the only way to tell for sure would be to have a stool sample taken.  As for your feeling of impending doom, it sounds like you suffer from anxiety attacks.  I have them too.  Thier a pain in the butt i know, but if you suffer from them you're probably going to be more likely to read into symptoms that may not really be there, especially if its health that you have anxiety and panic over.  If you OBSESS about health, as i do, you may even have obsessive compulsive disorder.  (i have this).  The only way to relieve your anxiety attacks and your obsession with health would be to deal with your fear of disease and death.  Thats what i'm trying to do right now.  I'm obsessing about having colon cancer, and i've had doctors reassure me left, right and center reassure me that thats not what it is.  I have a colonoscopy coming up, and everytime i think about it i get that feeling of impending doom.  I hope everything works out for ya!
A related discussion, Do I have Colon Cancer? was started.