Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Abdominal Pain caused by Stomach Cancer???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 27 year old female. For about a year and a half I have been experiencing upper abdominal pain. It comes in waves and will sometimes last for days at a time. In the last few months it has started happening more frequently and is lasting longer.  This is what prompted me to do to my doctor. My most recent episode lasted about 7 days. The pain is not unbearable but just very uncomfortable and annoying. It is a dull pain that tends to be concentrated in the upper, middle abdominal area. Sometimes my abdominal area feels really tough to the touch, and I have a full-stomach feeling. This does not seem to be food related at all...it tends to be constant regardless of whether I have eaten or not. I have an Upper GI x-ray booked for Sept 6th & I also have an ultrasound booked for Sept 10th. I am just really worried...of course I fear the worst like stomach cancer or something. I don't have any other symptoms such as heartburn or acid reflux.  In doing some research, it seems that the other, less-serious problems have symptoms like heartburn/acid refulx so I am worried that since my only symptom seems to be pain and fullness and that it has been going on for sometime that it must be something more serious like cancer. I am also taking Prilosec and it doesn't seem to be helping which also frightens me. If anyone has had a similar experience or any idea what this may be, please let me know.  Could this be psychological?  Also - to anyone that has had an Upper GI x-ray, how long does it take to get the results or can they tell while x-raying if there are any problems? Thanks!
Have you been to your Ob-Gyn for this?  Any chance it could be endometriosis?  
I know it's easy to say don't worry when it's not me, but I can't help thinking that something you've had this long would have caused some serious symptoms long before now, if it indeed was something serious.  I know, I would be thinking the worse too, everyone does.  But a year and a half is a long time to go without alot more sickness happening.  Yes, it could be stomach cancer.......but I hesitate to think it's that in someone as young as you.  Could it be irritation in the lining of your stomach from too much aspirin or too much Advil?  You bet.  Do you drink alot?  I know alot of you younger girls do.  Alcohol can do a number on your stomach lining, too.  And as strange and simple as this may sound, it could very well be a hell of a lot of gas, especially if you're the anxious, stressed-out type.  You're peak age for this type of disorder, so don't rule that out either.  
As far as your upper GI goes, they won't tell you anything when you have it done, they're not allowed to do that.  They're only technicians and can't give out a 'diagnosis'.  They will send the results to your doctor and he will give them to you when you see him again.  You may want to ask how soon your doctor will have them, then call that day.  They're your results so they have to give them to you, even if it's over the phone.  And something that might put your mind at ease - if it IS something really serious, your doctor will be calling you right away.  So if you don't hear from him within a couple of days, that may well be a good sign.
Good luck and let us know how you make out...........  
This doesn't sound like it fits the profile of stomach cancer. It's possibly gastritis or even an ulcer, but not likely cancer. You should get the final results of your upper GI within several days, after the radiologist has a chance to review the pictures and send the report to your doctor. For the test you may only come into contact with x-ray technicians, whose job it is to get the pictures but not necessarily interpret them.
Have your gallbladder checked. I had Upper abdominal pain for years. It would last for a week or so at a time. It gave me a real full feeling. Always I was told by several Drs that it was gas and not to worry. My pain started just under the sturnum, and at times would cause back pain. Gallbladder pain isn't always a text book case. I had an ultrasound that came back normal. Then later was sent for a Hida scan with ejection fraction - that came back with my gallbladder only functioning at 15%.
I just had an upper GI series last week at mass general and a Dr. who is a radiologist is the one who does the actual test . While I was having my test it took an hour but usually it only takes 15-20 minutes. The Dr. explained everything to me as he was doing the test and even pointed out what he was seeing and showing me. I also have been having upper abdominal pain and this has been going on since I fainted back in February. I had alot of tests also and my interal med Dr. thinks it's anxiety/stress so I was put on zoloft and klonopin....and if you and just a reminder....if you are taking any meds for your stomach (I am on protonix) DO NOT take them the day of your test. I wasn't told not to take mine so I did and because of that it causes the contrast barium to not coat your stomach very well which is why my test probably took so long. What was found on my gi series was that the little sphincter muscle that opens to empty your stomach out is barely opening so the Dr who was doing my test called my Dr right up and then told me I will probably be sent to a GI specialist because this is something that definetly needs to be looked into. The Dr doing the test even had 2 very more experienced Dr's come in to watch on the monitor and I saw them behind the glass pointing on the screen and everything so that made me very nervous but I am glad something was found so now Dr's won't keep telling me it's anxiety/stress. And hopefully it's something not serious which I am sure I would of heard from my Dr by now if it was because I don't see him again until sept. 4th.   I hope this was helpful to you  and don't be afraid to ask questions during the test.
You have described the typical gastritis symptoms. Symptoms that most, if not all of us with gastritis have. You'll read on this board the same sypmtoms and in the archives. Your symptoms are exactly the symptoms I had when I was diagnosed last year. Exactly! It's not cancer, I thought tha SAME thing. I'm 28. However, with the symptoms you describe, I'm surprised your GI (If that's who you are going to, and I hope that you are) didn't order an endoscopy. Also, I hope that he is checking for the bacteria H-Pylori which will cause gastritis, ulcers and your exact stomach pain. I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way at one point. It doesn't matter "What" you eat. If it's there, it's there and if it's not, it's not and the pain can be felt directly in the PIT area of your stomach. Upper middle. Sometimes if you push in it's uncomfortable and sore, like something's there. Trust me, I know how you feel. Try searching the archives on this board regarding gastritis. There are some posts now on here, just further down the board. If you are NOT seeing a gastroenterologist, please make an appt. and please keep us posted as to what they find. I aslo know what you mean about the prilosec not working. I tried them ALL at one point and it took me a LONG time before I found one that worked, but in the end, I think it had a lot to do with DIET. No smoking, drinking, spicy or acidic foods and drinks and small meals througout the day, rather than three heavy ones. Eating things that are esy to digest is very important. Nothing that would way heavy on the digestive track. Good Luck and I'm sure you'll be fine. Try not to worry ;-)

-Jenn
I hate to try to say everybody has gastritis....but I have it and the symptoms you have sound like it.I`ve had nausea pain all that for years to,it june 30,it really kicked and hasn`t stopped.I`ts not as bad since I`ve been taking prevacid and watching what I eat but it defenintly there.I have chronic gastritis which means it has developed over time,and it can be lasting or reacurring.Im hoping it won`t be lasting ,but the way Im stressed all the time I don`t know.Well luck to you,and like on one of the other posts said I would realy start watching what you eat...no spicey,greasy,foods no cokes(carbonated beverages)NO ALCHOHOL,thats a big no with gastritis.Let us know what you find out.
Thanks to everyone for their posts - I really do feel a whole lot better now.  Actually last night I started looking up some info on Gastritis and realized that I had a lot of the same symptoms so I am hoping it turns out to be that rather than the dreaded cancer.  I am really just being paranoid...I know stomach cancer is extremely rare in people my age but I couldn't help but worry.  It helps to know that other people have had the same experiences and that it has turned out ok for them.  I know I am going to have to change some of my eating habits...I am used to the three meal a day thing but I have started to eat smaller meals more frequently.  Fortunately I am not a drinker (gave up drinking a couple of years ago although I never drank that much anyway) and I do not drink caffeine (gave that up about 4 years ago). I have never been into spicy foods so I don't have to worry about that.  I tend to get a bit anxious about things so part of it could be stress-related, too.  I will keep you all posted.  I just hate having to wait so long to see a specialist but that's the way it goes up here in Canada!  We don't have to pay for our health care so instead we have to wait a month to get in to see someone...hee hee.  But I feel a lot better having gotten this info from all of you.  Thanks again!
Hey thats good your feeling better!!!Hey here in Texas we gotta pay for health care unless your lucky..LOLbut it still takes a month to see the GI doc.here to.MY first appointment was scheduled for october 3rd.NOWAY I gripped they figured it out finally how bad I was feeling and they got me in on AUG.8 &and I got lucky again and went the next morning for my scope....but my follow to discuss the results isn`t until sept.12.Well anyway you take care of yourself.
I too was concerned and when I first went in and they said : H.pylori, upper gi which came back normal and no lifestyle changes applied in that we don't drink or use many of the harmaful causes of stomach distress, With cancer in the family and loosing family members last year, They suggested elavil, prilosec, I took Nexium and it did not help.
Read alot of helpful info here at this board and purchased books as well. It is not uncommon for women to be told it is emotional and the meds , which clinical trials are done on can in fact cause scary side effects , for me racing heart etc.
One doctor said oh your 34 and thin be happy.
I would be if I could eat and not suffer. I tried dgl , now 6 weeks , and acupuncture once yesterday and continue to learn and more tests.
Have you lost weight ? Did any over the counter remedies help ? The posts here are so helpful. Keep us posted
Hi!

I have not lost any weight over this - I still have my regular appetite.  The only over-the-counter meds that I have tried are Tums and they don't seem to work very well.  The Prilosec that I am taking may actually be starting to work.  I have been taking it for about 12 days and I don't seem to be getting the pain as often as before.  So its hard to say if the pain is going away on its own or if the meds are helping.

I will let ya know how it goes.  Thanks for your post!
Just thought I'd add something else for ya to think about. My upper abdominal discomfort feels like a rubberband is around my stomach,or that I have done about 1000 sit-ups! It really isn't painful but it is so aggrevating! I walk around holding the top of my stomsach &  that helps(who knows why)... They hae just diagnosed me after 1 1/2 with my esophagus not working at all in places & only some in other places. I am taking Reglan right now but they are talking to specialists to find something else because of Parkinson 's symptoms with this drug. I know how frustrating this is becuse like I said it took 1 1/2 for them to figure it out & that was after thy took out my gall bldder thinking that was causing it. So GOOD LUCK!!!!