Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper GI with Small Bowel Follow Through

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

This is a follow up to a previous post.  Today I had an upper GI with a small bowel series and the barium went through me within 30 minutes.  They were not even able to capture pictures of the stuff going through the intestine. I know my food is not digesting properly, but what does all of this mean??  What can be causing such overmotility and is there anything that can be done for such a problem? The radiologist said he couldn't see anything physically or anatomically wrong and that the only thing he could think of that might cause it was a viral or bacterial infection, but this has been a 4 month problem and my body should have fought anything like that off long ago.  Scared to death, to say the least. Any advice?
Most likely you have a case called "Dumping Syndrome", where the contents of the stomach are released too fast into the small intestine.  Usually this is caused by surgery of the stomach, but for some reason, i'm starting to suspect its occuring in alot of different groups of people these days.

I had an upper GI & small bowel follow-through 3 weeks ago and mine took 1.5 hrs.  Is that more normal?
A related discussion, What could it be? was started.