Upper LEFT quadrant pain
I am 31 years old. This past May I had severe left sided upper quadrant pain. It felt like it was just under my ribs, usually in the front but sometimes in my side and when most severe, in my back. It lasted for about 3 weeks and I just let it go, confident that it would just go away.
In the first week of August the exact same pain came back. It was so severe that I called my MD after only 3 days. I had chest x-rays, abd sonogram and blood work. The only abnormality was my amylase which was 397. My lipase was somewhat elevated also. I had an abd CT which showed a slightly enlarged pancreas but was told that was probably normal for my age. I was but on prevacid and told to see what happens. I still complained of severe pain do I had an EGD. All was normal. I then had an ERCP done and while no obstruction was noted I did end up with pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 5 days. The 'pancreatitis' pain has now resolved but my original pain remains. I can now relate some of the pain to after meals but that pain usually occurs on the right side. The left sided pain is ALWAYS there. It gets bad and then eases up but is always there. I do become nauseated at times but I am not vomiting. I lost 10 pounds in the hospital but put 6 back on. No further weight loss has been noted. My GI physician is stumped. He did mention sphincter manometry but is hesitant due to my pancreatitis.
What I want to know is this: Is there a profile of patients who have sphincter dysfunction? Are there certain things that cause it or is the cause unknown? Would that cause LEFT sided pain. With the tests I have had done, would CA be ruled out or would that still be a possibility?
                          Thank you,
                              Elizabeth
Hi Diane -

I had an internal (transvaginal) ultrasound yesterday - awaiting the results.  This is my 2nd ultrasound in 3 months, although the first time I've had the internal one.  Will know the results tomorrow - hopefully!

I, too, am tired of the tests. Although I haven't had a colonoscopy (or endoscopy) yet.  Just CAT, ultrasound (2), IVP, KUB xrays, stool tests, blood work, urinalysis (4 or 5 of these).

I think my periods are more painful than usual, too, although not necessarily heavier.  My left leg and hip really hurt and my ribcage on the left was extremely sore once again this month - again if I took a deep breath or laughed or tried to sit up from a reclining position, it really hurt - like I had pulled everythitg or gotten hit by a car on that side.

As for the pain when excercising, back in January, if I moved around just a bit, the jiggling would hurt my side.  But I haven't experienced that when I went to the gym last week or the week before.  In fact, my chiro was surprised the jogging didn't hurt me, because that kind of movement had been so bothersome.  I say if you can start out slowly and go easy on yoruself, exercising again will definitely do your mental health a world of good.  I just felt so inactive and lame because I was paralyzed with the fear of hurting myself even worse. I guess I got tired of that after 3 months of being a couch potato (definitely not my normal mode!)  At the very least, get walking if possible.

Keep in touch -
Carol D.
Hi Carol,

I received the results from my internal transvaginal today--all is normal--the uterus is back to 5-6mm.  Once again, can't attribute the discomfort to woman problems.  I forget your age, but they say you can expect painful, heavy periods around pre-menopause.  I am 44, which I guess is within the pre-menopause age range.  I read though, that if you are in good physical condition, you don't feel the symptoms of pre-menopause as much. Until this "left quadrant" discomfort problem surfaced 2 1/2 months ago, I was in great physical condition!!  However, those pre-menopause symptoms are still very apparent.  

My pain feels just like runner's stitch.  It sometimes feels like I have a gas pocket under the rib and it radiates down to the lower front abdomen.  It is really frustating--isn't it?  I feel like an "old lady" sometimes.

My next game plan is probably the IVP, then maybe some x-rays of the left side.  I'll have to see what the primary thinks.  By now he probably thinks I am a "nut case"!!

Please keep in touch!!
Hiya Diane (and others) -

I got my ultrasound results back yesterday afternoon (external & transvaginal).  Everything normal for me too -- no more hemorhaggic cyst, even.  So, yes, I guess that totally negates the "woman problems" theory once again. FYI  - I'll be 40 this coming September.

I think I mentioned I had the IVP because I had red blood cells showing up in my urine.  After labwork was done on the urinalysis they told me the rbc was at a normal level. The IVP showed everything to be normal too.  I've since read about microhematuria which is the persistence of red blood cells in the urine. In some cases this can be asymptomatic, but it can also be a sign of renal or bladder problems (it can also be due to heavy exercise).  If protein also shows up along with the normal levels of red blood cells, I think they like to do a renal ultrasound and possibly a renal biopsy, but my urine didn't show any protein.  I think it's more common in males over 50 to present with more serious problems (renal or bladder cancer, etc.) associated with microhematuria, but can't rule out that women and people of both genders under 40 can also be afflicted.

I'll be curious how your IVP turns out, but I'd almost bet on it that your results will be normal.

Let us know what you find out, and if you have xrays, let us know about those too. Maybe all of us through our combined efforts can put our heads together to come up with a self-diagnosis.

Carol D.
Pardon the above repeated comments!!!  There was a jam in the system, and my first 3 comments never got processed until the fourth one went through.  So sorry!!

Diane
My CAT showed two things--a gallstone and that dastardly enlarged uterus.  The gallstone does not explain left side pain and the enlarged uterus is back to normal via the transvaginal.  I'm back to square one.  My primary said that the CAT showed that the kidney on the left side is fine.  He is stumped!!  He is figuring possibly a pinched nerve or costochondritis (which I might be mispelling).  My gut feelings tell me know.  So, my bloodwork, ultrasounds, colonoscopy, CAT all fine!!  Now what?  I still have the pain!  IVP is next--it will probably be fine.  Does it show anything different than what a CAT would show?  I read about LGS--what's that?  What is bracing?  What is splenic flexture?  I read about these at another net site.

If there is any new info or suggestions out there, please help!!
Received results from my CAT.  Two insignificant things were discovered--a gallstone and an enlarged uterus.  Both my primary and I believe that the gallstone is not causing my left side pain because of the right side location of the gall bladder.  The enlarged uterus has been eliminated as the problem becuase of the transvaginal showing that it is back to normal size.  My primary seems to be stumped and of course so am I.  He thinks it may be a pinched nerve or costochondritis--my gut feeings tell me no.  He ordered an IVP, but what will that show that a CAT does not?  So far, bloodwork, 4 ultrsounds, CAT, colonoscopy were all fine.  1 1/2 months ago the urine specimen showed a slight kidney infection which I am assuming the antibiotic took care of.  Now what?  The pain is still there!!  

Carol--read you on another web site talking about LGS, bracing and splenic flexture.  Excuse my ignorance, but what are those conditions?  Please inform as soon as possible.  

Diane

Diane

Diane
Hi Diane -

I hear your frustration with more "normal" test results. But at least we know the things they can see show no sign of problems. I'm thankful for that.

The leaky gut syndrome (LGS) is something I learned about through another web site of Dr. Walt Stoll's (http://www.bcn.net/~stoll/). I actually bought his book.  The web site can probably describe things better than I but:

LGS is when the good bacteria that line your intestine get destroyed (antibiotics, etc) and then it can no longer keep harmful bacteria out.  Basically your gut "leaks": it doesn't have a good tight seal against invaders.

I think bracing (according to Dr. Stoll) is sort of like stored up tension in your chest/ribs that often causes pain (and chostochondritis.)

Splenic flexure syndrome is when gas gets regularly trapped in the right angle bend of the large intestine, which is on your left side where it wraps around your spleen.

I have thought all of these 3 might be contributing to my pain, but who knows.  I'm now taking probiotics (acidophilus plus other good bacteria). Also taking a meditation class (Stoll refers to it as skilled relaxation or SR), for the bracing (have also been to a chiro about this). And for the trapped gas I am seeing a CHinese doctor who has prescribed herbs.  I still have the pain but it defintiely has decreased in intensity (occasionally flares up worse but...)  Who knows!?

I would go to the Dr. Stoll website to learn more about these other things becasue I'm afraid I might not have translated the gist of them correctly.

Keep me posted, Diane, and I'll do the same.  I feel like it's a good idea to post to the board here because if one of us stumbles upon an answer, it might be of help to others who look here, as well.  I don't think the doctors here answer many questions on this board; it seems much less active than other boards I've been on, but I check it on a regular basis, so you'll likely continue to see my posts here.

I see another doc tomorrow - maybe he'll have the magic answer??  Hope so -

Carol D.
Hi Carol,

Thanks loads for the explanations of those three conditions.  They are really quite interesting and may be of some help in our attempts to self-diagnosis.  I guess self-diagnosis is better than no diagnosis at all, which is what we are getting from the docs!!  

After reading your explanations, I can honestly say that I feel like I have a combination of splenic flexture syndrome and costochondritis.  I definitely get the trapped gas on the left side and I have such sore ribs, I feel like I went 15 rounds with a prize fighter.  I would have thought, though, that the colonoscopy I had would have cleansed the colon and eliminated the trapped gas permanently?  What do you think?  

After all this addtional information you have supplied me with today, looks like I may be a busy beaver researching it all on the net.  Hope tomorrow is not a demanding day at work so I can do some digging, 'cause "God knows we need to get some answers!!" I'll also be looking into Dr. Stull's book--seems it could be quite helpful.

Thanks for all the "scoop" and PLEASE keep in touch. Of course, I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Diane

Diane -

The way I understand splenic flexure syndrome is that gas gets trapped in that location on a regular basis (for reasons I don't know).  I had thought the same thing as you: after all the stuff they've made me take to empty out my colon (for the IVP -- I didn't have a colonoscopy), I thought anything trapped in there would've been gone; but I think this is more of a regularly occuring event - not the same gas trapped in the same place from 3 months ago.

Now -I'm not entirely sure about my understanding of this. So if you find out anything (like for what reason does gas get stuck there for some people?)  please do tell!

I'm off for a 2nd opinion this afternoon.  I'll let you know...

As always, thanks for posting!

Carol

How did you make out with your quest for a second opinion?  I went for the IVP, and obviously, everything is normal.  My husband & I went for a 3 1/2 mile run on Saturday and did some heavy duty cleaning on Sunday in order to prepare my kitchen for renovations.  After those two days of exertion, my ribs felt like Mike Tyson went to work on them.  Prior to Saturday's workout, I had only been doing a combo of running and walking.  I had been afraid to do anything really exerting for fear of making matters worse.  The ribs aren't painful, they are extremely achey, like a toothache!! I discovered the achey side to be a little swollen, also.  I contacted my primary about this latest episode, and he suggested another visit with him.  He and I will have our little "get together" on Monday afternoon.  The trapped gas problem doesn't seem to be as chronic lately.  I have been living on about 6 tums per day.  I think they really may be working.  I take one b/f each meal and one after each meal.  I did some research into costochondritis on the net.  My symptoms are quite similar.  

That is the latest scoop on my end.  I'm anxious to find out your
latest info.  Keep me posted!!

Diane
Well - the second opinion vist was somewhat disappointing.

In a nutshell - he thinks I could've had shingles where the virus never erupted to the nerve ending so no evidence on my skin.  Or that I had some kind of "localized mechanical" problem going on that caused some pinched nerve and muscle spasming feelings.  But  now what I was experiencing was a "false sensation."  I was really kind of pissed off by this because I was sitting in his office with the sharp stitch happening right then and there and he sort of blew it off as nothing.  Oh well -- he was a doc hired by the short term disability insurer - not someone of my choice.

Since then I've noticed some pain in my hip and thigh muscle that got worse right around ovulation and my ribs got sore all over again (like your Mike Tyson analogy!) BUT I hadn't done any sort of physical exercise or anything that would've caused it! I still think there might be some kind of hormonal connection in my case, but also that it could be a combination of things.  Still baffled, though.

Thanks for keeping in touch, Diane. Let me know what your doc says this time!

Carol D.
Hi, back again.  Was hoping that last surgery was going to take care of the diverticulitis, but unfortunately I never really got better.  I am still on Darvocet and percocet for pain and the following meds: Bentyl, lomotil, xanac, axcid, imipramine, ambien and celebrex, acidiliopholus, B12, Iron and now the Dr has started me on a 6 month dose of tetracyline for 14 days on and ten days off.  They did another colonoscopy and have now decided to add Crohns Disease, IBS, Colitis and still Diverticulitis (even though they removed all but 8 inches of my colon)as well as a problem with my immune system and fatigue (Ithink they add these things when they really can't figure out what the heck is going on LOL) The colonoscopy still showed diverticuli in the remaining part of my colon.  Most of the pain they still feel is from extensive adhesions.  But, I am still plagued with severe abdominal cramps, constant diareaha, on again and off again low grade fevers and occasional bleeding.  I am to the point with all of the meds that I am on, that there is no way that I feel I can go back to work.... and LOL....our government has kindly denied me disability.  I am getting ready to actually try some holistic healing and it has been suggested by a friend to seek out some Asian healers, they sometimes have more luck than the DRs with controlling pain.  If anyone  has any suggestions on how to cope with this I would really appreciate hearing from them!!  
Ps. Dawn, from my understanding, the only wa y to certify that one has diverticulits is from a gastriograph ennema and sometimes a cat scan can show it but not always....   I HAVE NEVER, EVER heard of a blood teat to determine it..... I would seriously suggest checking into that!!
Thanks,
Trac          ***@****
It is really unbelievable that these doctors are not taking us seriously.  Do you think it is because we are of the female gender?  Bad enough that we have to contend with that archaic behavior in the work environment!!  If you are a woman, and the docs cannot figure out what is wrong with you physically, they assume it is psychological (Hypchondriac) or PMS. It is quite frustating!!

My primary is sending me for a bone scan and another x-ray of the left rib area.  He really thinks it is costochondritis, but he is not sure, thus the x-ray.  

My workouts (running & biking) are not as painful, I must admit. I am increasing my mileage daily in both my running and biking without any major problems. It is definitely helping not only physically but, of course, mentally and emotionally.  The runner's stitch is not as acute.  I think it was trapped gas and it seems like the 8-10 tums per day are keeping that under control, so far!

Tell me your latest, Carol.
Hi Dawn.....Have read your responses in here...be careful with the tums usage....was doing that as well before all of my problems....the thing is, things like Tums only mask the real problem......they make ya feel better for a bit but in the long run you are not fixing anything.  Just makes you temporarily feel better...and unfortunately One can sometimes mask a serious condition by use of these otc drugs.  
As far as the subject of being taken seriously goes, LOL, my DR is a female and I have no doubt that she believes me..it is just that she is at a loss as well....
Hope you are feeling better soon!!
Tracy
***@****
Hi there again -

well - had a visit to a second gastrogenerologist on Tues.  He thinks it could be trapped gas, visceral hypersensitivity (mind keeps telling gut there is pain when nothing is wrong), possibly had shingles without skin eruptions and thus having pain from that (which can last forever), but ultimately, no definitive diagnosis.  He basically told me there are medical mysteries and this is one of them - "lots of people have things that medicine can't explain."  He also said he could do a barium enema - it might show blockages or possibly inflammation that the CT scan didn't show - but he was doubtful. He also suggested prescribing very low dosages of elavil because low levels of antidepressants (lower than whet is prescribed for depression) often help this kind of mind-gut pain (also know as Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain - a relative of IBS without the diarrhea or constipation.)

However - since seeing the specialist doc on Tues, my pain has gotten worse again - it does seem to really feel like gas but started out as sore muscle fdeeling then went to pressure feleling the next day and now feels like the runner's stitch today- I have also been feeling slightly nauseated. Also after a bowel movement (which I most always have first thing (EARLY!) in the morning (6am, sometimes 7am), am tending to feel nauseated - although no D or C. So for awhile the pain subsided somewhat (was tolerable)-- lately it has been much more sore and bothering me a lot more than it had last month. Exercise doesn't seem to make a difference either way - can't tell if what I'm eating does, but as I've said before, I mainly eat vegetarian (lots of fresh steamed vegetables, soy/tofu products, pasta, some chicken (free range no hormones) and fish (usually whatever is local and fresh - since I am here in Boston.)

I really don't want to have to take any kind of medications, nor do I want the barium enema, but I am starting to consider the elavil because my pain has been increasing again.  It really is upsetting to think I was maybe improving and now to feel I've taken a step backward.

Any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks again -

Carol D.
Hi Carol,
I really feel for you!!  Have been through so many tests, (Barium Ennema and /or Gastriograph ennemas were the most painful test I had ever had!!) operations(4 in the last three yrs) and am currently on enough drugs to choak a horse!!  (Xanac, Bentyl, Imipramine, Darvocet, Percocet when needed, Celebrex, Axcid, Ambien and now a dosage of antibiotics again.)
    It seems to be a revolving door...they do surgery, I feel better for a short while, and then slowly, the pain starts increasing and more problems seem to arise.  The other day they added Cohrones Disease (due to my inability to maintain wellness after going though a regimine of antibiotics.....seems like I am off of them for a few days and then i end up getting sick again and usually running low grade temp again) to the IBS, Diverticular Disease and Colitis.  I am beginning to think that these diseases are basically things they call it when they just really can't figure things out.
    As I said the ennema tests are very painful, but as I was told it really is the only way to really find out what is going on...more thourough than cat scan and coloscopy.  I am getting ready to go out and search for another Dr for a second opinion on stuff....am also going to check into holistic healing.........have heard that that may be helpful...mind over matter idea.  LOL....The only thing I do know is when I do have pain it is sincere pain...not something in my head....definitly in my gut.
   On my last visit to the Dr I told her that when it is really painful, I can feel a lump on my left upper quadrant and it feels very much like a runners stitch.  I was told that it is probably gas trapped...unfortunately every time I can feel it I am not at the DRs.  Really don't think it is trapped gas though, cause it doesnt seem like it would be in the same exact place every time....  I am really at a loss of ideas.  I just know I only have 8 inches of colon to left to play with, so i need to be very careful with what i do.
    I wish you all the luck in the world....and if ya come up with any answers to this stuff please feel free to share them....
Tracy
***@****
Hi there Tracy -

Thanks for the support. You sound like you have been through the ringer with this stuff!

So far, the only thing that has been helping me ever so slightly has been meditation. I enrolled in an 8-week "Insight" (also known as vipasana (sp?)) meditation class because I had read elswhere ion the net that skilled relaxation techniques ie. m,ediation have been shown to help the pain in mind-gut related syndromes (like IBS or what CFAP - Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain).  So I defintely recommend the holistic / alternative approach. I think it will take some combnination of therapies to heal this mysterious pain we have.

Don't know if you have read the posts closer to the top of this page but there seem to be a suggestion of enteric coated peppermint capsules for the pain. Also a woman said her Dr. finally determined she might have had a case of shingles at one time with no skin eruptions Apparently her Dr. told her that 15% of shingles cases can present with no skin eruptions. This is what 2 doctors have also hypothesized about my case recently.  The woman from the other posting was prescribed Elavil (50 mg.) and her pain has disappeared.

Hang in there and let us know how you're faring.

Best -

Carol D.
Hi all~~~~

Hope everyone is feeling better.  I went back to the MDS again, lol, now they have added Chrones disease to my list of ailments.  I think that when they just really can't explain things happening they go to that disease.....no cause or cure known for it.
    It has been very benificial to get on here and chat with others that have had similar problems!!  I actually ran into someone tonight that has suffered from these things for the past thirty years....  It is the first time I have ran into anyone on a face to face basis to kind of compare notes.  It was amazing to me that the symptoms, medications and surgeries were all so similar.
    I spoke to a Nutricionist the other day and am attempting to make little changes in diet and stuff (although most of what she said I had already tested and tried......I already knew a lot of my no-nos) LOL  next week I am heading to a new Gastrio guy so will see what transpires.  Keep me up to date if ya all have any answers or suggestions.  
    I will keep ya all in my thoughts and prayers.
Tracy
Hi Guys,

I was hoping that the next time I got on here it would be to finally say, Hey i am feeling better!!!  LOL
No such luck.....  I have some good days, but the bad days are getting worse.  I go back to the Gastrio doc this week in hopes of some answers.  They have me loaded up with pain  meds and antibiotics again...LOL...I swear by the time I am better, they will have to send me to the Betty Ford clinic to get off of all of the pills.
I was wondering if diet has helped any one with these symptoms...I was told to go NO fiber.  Which basically means no veggies (especially raw ones, no nuts, corn....red meat is not a good idea as well.)  So I have done all of the above and behaved quite well, considering my favorite treat is cashews....LOL
Would appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions on foods....
I have been told now that a lot of my onset of pain is triggered by stress.  So I have been working on that as well as taking extra meds for that now as well.  But my attacks of pain are slowly getting stronger and more frequent....  Would really appreciate anyones input on this!! Thanks!!
Tracy
I found this website and I am so relieved! I felt like I was alone until no. Here's my story. It started two months ago. My left side was extremely bloated and I was having pains in my kidney area and the front of my body. I ignored it for 3 days and realized this isn't like me. So I went to the ER. They thought it was kidney stones. They took a CAT Scan of my kidneys, intenstines, liver, stomach, etc. They found two spots that they thought were stones, and they did an internal examine to make sure it wasn't ovarian. So I go to a UROLOGIST several days later and they too give me an internal examine and he looks at the CAT Scan and says, it might be kidney stones, but lets take another pelvic X-RAY. A week passes by I am still in discomfort. I had no appettie, I dropped alot of weight.

The end of the week the UROLOGIST calls me and says, it isn't kidney stones. He seems to think it might be A Cyst in my ovaries. So I go to my GYN and they find nothing. A day passes and I almost faint, so I go back to the ER and they finally take BLOOD WORK. THE RESULTS YOUR FINE. MEANWHILE, MY SYMPTOMS are
burping, feeling like can't breath after eating, bloating, pain swallowing, pain in my stomach area right under LEFT RIBS. I always felt my stomach going crazy inside, but nothing would happen, just pain and discomfort. Meanwhile I wasn't constipated either. So the ER gave me an Antiacid. I feel little better but not much. I go to my regular physican and he gives me PREVICD. I took it, but it didn't feel like it helped.

Next STOP GASTRO....My general doctor recommend someone and he was buzy so I went to someone else (b/c of course I didn't want to wait). The GASTRO I went to is an ***! She says, it is STRESS, you are fine. Meanwhile, I told her my bowel movements have been bright GREEN and soft, etc. I was so upset with this women. She puts me on ANTIDEPERSSENTS! I went on for 3 days and I felt it isn't working. A few weeks pass and I am still having pains, etc.

My regular doctor sees me again and says, "I don't think it is stress, go to the 1st person I recommended."

So I did and I got an UPPER ENDOSCOPY (SCARY). Any way they find out that my stomach is inflammed. They took a test for H Pylori, Check for Tumors or Cancer. Everything came back neg. Which is good, but BAD, b/c I still don't know why I am having these pains. He told me to stop eating choclate, carbonated drinks, acidy foods. So I did. HE told me to eat veggies, but they hurt my stomach with more gas. So I am just eating Chicken and Potatoes for now. And I am starting to not have as much pain in my stomach. I still need to follow up with him. I was 123 and now I weigh 111 and I am 5 2'. I am getting nervous b/c I lost 12 pounds in 2 months.

Has anybody else had these syptoms and know what to do?

If so please email me ***@****

Good Luck to ALL!

If so please email me ***@****

Good Luck to ALL!
Hi All:

I'm pregnant (5 and a half months) and I've had soreness and pain in my left side near ribs for at least six weeks. I can't be x-rayed and I"m waiting for ultrasound. Doctor did find some bacteria growth in urine so I took an antibiotic but the pain returned. Since I don't have fever, she doesn't think its kidney infection but I worry. I don't want to feel like this for the whole pregnancy or to have infection harm the baby.

Any suggestions?
I am just beginning my seventh month of pregnancy.  Approximately 5 weeks ago I began feeling pressure under my left breastbone (in the upper left quadrant).  The discomfort soon felt like something was grabbing my rib and then eventually turned to pain. The pain is constant and worsens if I sit up straight for any amount of time.  I recently had to go on a medical leave of absence from my desk job.  The pain is starting to affect my ability to drive and comfort when I sleep.  My OB/GYN referred me to a Cardiologist where I had an EKG, Echogram, and Holt monitor placed for 24 hours.  I was then referred to a Gastrointerologist who sent me for an ultrasound. All of these tests were negative, and the Doctors are very limited on the tests they can use because of my pregnancy.

I felt the need to research and found some very interesting diseases (considered rare)of the Spleen.  There is a condition called "Acquired" Wandering Spleen which is most common in women ages 20-40 because it can be caused by a relaxation of the ligaments during pregnancy.  The disease can also surface after an injury from an accident.  The symptoms fit perfectly and the description and location of the pain is exact.  I am seeing a high-risk OB tomorrow and I plan on taking all the information I have found.  Perhaps because the disease is considered rare, many doctors are not educated and do not think of it in their diagnosis.  You can find this information on the internet by entering Wandering spleen as the search category.  Good luck to all!
I, too, began having severe stabbing knifelike pain under my left lower rib cage about two months ago. It was so painful I couldn't even touch the area lightly. Three different Doctors, and two emergency rooms diagnosed it as a "muscle strain", and gave me pain pills (which I found out later compounded the problem even more). I knew it was my colon, but not sure what was wrong. Today I finally got the answer: colonic splenic flexure distention. My Gastroenterologist described it as the opposite effect of a P-trap in a sink drain, only instead of water in the bottom of the drain keeping gas from traveling back up the sewer pipe, the gas is in the "top" of a P-trap, with stool keeping the gas from moving. The gas just balloons against the rib cage, and causes pressure and severe pain in the rib cage. The problem is compounded with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS--aggravated by stress), or constipation, or pain killers.....anything that slows the normal bowel movement process. The "cure" is to move everything along, either through adding fiber (i.e. Metamucil, fresh fruit, etc.)or by taking Milk of Magnesia or other laxatives. I still experience intermittent pain, but it is usually now a signal that I'm getting blocked. I suffer with IBS, Diverticulitis and reflux (GERD), and take Prilosec, Propulcid, and Metamucil daily for same. Now Prilosec is being taken off of the market, so will just keep increasing the fiber and drinking water. Good luck!
I have been having the same symptoms as many of you - ulq pain that radiates to my back - much worse after eating ESPECIALLY if I eat too much!  I have had ultrasounds of pancreas, gallbladder, liver, etc. showing nothing.  Had sigmoidoscopy (painful experience!) with biopsy - showed nothing.  Had several EKG's - perfectly normal.  Upper GI showed Reflux and they are attributing the pain to that - BULL!  It's clear down under my ribs and is very different from heartburn!  I have found one thing that seems to improve it, Yoga.  This stumped me at first because the pain is nothing like a muscular pain.  My naturalist says that yoga is very good for repositioning internal organs - so maybe that has something to do with it.  Being that I am not disciplined I have not been doing the yoga regularly.  Only use it when I need it.  But it does seem to work.  I only do 10-15 minutes of it and see a difference.  If anyone would want to give it a try, I would be interested in hearing if it helps you too.

Good luck!

I too have suffered from this dasterdly Upper Left Quadrant Pain.  However, I am feeling about 90% better than I have before.  

I am a 45 year old female.  I weigh about 109 and I am in pretty descent physical shape.  My problems began this past December 1999, right after Christmas.  My husband and I are avid runners, so I thought it was due to over-exertion.  The pain would begin under the left rib cage and radiate both up to the left flank and down to the left groin.  I had a slight fever every so ofter(no more than 100).  The pain seemed to be worse when I ran.  I could not stand the pain anymore, so I contacted my primary.  He said that the symptoms sounded like a kidney infection, and he put me on an antiobiotic for a week.  Perhaps I had a slight kidney infection, but I really did not feel much better after taking the antibiotic.  My primary sent me for every test you could think of in order to determine what I might have--x-rays, bone scans, a colonoscopy, and cat scans.  Even my Gyn got involved, thinking it might be ovary or uterine related.  The Gyn also sent me for several female tests.   Every test I went for put me into an emotional hole until results came back showing nothing was wrong.  The colonoscopy almost put me over the edge.  Knowing that my Dad died of colon cancer, and that I  have had IBS since my college years, I was convinced that I had colon cancer.  The results came back negative for that, thank GOD!!  It was also frustating, though, not knowing what the problem was. I discontinued my running, assuming the pain might have been due to over exertion.  Discontinuing my workouts, however, did not help my emotional or mental health out at all, but I did what I thought I should do.

My Mom suggested that I try taking tums before and after each meal that perhaps I have trapped gas.  I did that and it seemed to alleviate some of the pain.  My primary did a few more tests and concluded that I have Costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilidge between the ribs) and colonic splenic flexture distention (trapped gas in the colon on the left side of the body where the colon makes a turn under the rib cage--thus pushing up against the ribs and causing pain and discomfort).

I am feeling much better now.  I have continued my workouts, but instead of just running, I now cross-train--run, bike and some light weight lifting.  When I get the pain, it is usually very mild and goes away quickly just by me taking the tums more often and by increasing my intake of roughage (broccoli and salads made with romaine lettuce).  I also drink much more water than I used to and started drinking cranberry juice too.  

Just thought I would share my experience with you.  Hope it helps.  Keep in touch!!
i also have had this pain and have had cat  scans and still nothing. if any one knows what to do ill try anything im ready to just cut myself open to find out whats rong
yeah guys see exactly where you are coming from.
I was very sick in London after eating a "dodgy" beef meal, & my stools where heavily laden with blood.
After getting over the sickness that was defined as gastroenterietis, I have had pains in my luq on & off roaming arround the area for about 4 yrs, docs dont seem overly concerned with it, but stools etc have never been right since the sickness, a general feeling of tiredness often accompanies the pains & dull aches.. had all the tests & not getting any answers......
seems like we can only deal with it & get on with life, I tend to get the worst pains pre meals, yet after this experience bloating & frequent bowel movement ....

be well..
I have been having left upper qudrant pain also very bloated.
Loose bowels. etc taking Axid not helping. comments please
Oh my Stars!  I can't believe I found a web site where people suffer from the same symptoms of Left Upper quadrant pain.  I too have been through all of the gross and disgusting tests that all came back normal.  It desperately affects my life and stops me in my tracks.  I was sent to a pain specialist who put me on all of these strong narcotics that snowed me to the point that I couldn't work effectively so I stopped taking them.  I felt that they didn't help that much, snowed me, and why should I take such strong narcotics everyday for a pain that I wasn't having every day?  Go figure.  I have lupus which alot of Dr.'s use as a dumping ground diagnosis, and the last thing my Gastro doc said in regards to the pain is that it could just be related to my lupus, as if to excuse himself from having to truely find out what is causing the debilitating pain.  Thank you to each one of you who have posted here for sharing your intimate stories.  I feel as if each of you have already personally written a portion of my own story.  Not a fun journey, but at least we have each other to discuss it with, as family and other friends could care less about our bowel habits and our disgusting and painful barium enemas.  God Bless Each one of you, and someday, hopefully we'll have a diagnosis and most of all a cure from this mysterious pain in our sides.
I am happy that I am not alone. I have had this for 7 years, I am seeing a new rhuemotologist next week. I think My own thoughts that I might have gotten shingles 7 years ago when my kids had chicken pox and it destroyed the nerves in my back and chest. I did not have the rash but I hear 15% of people get no rash. Anyone ever hear of this before?

If you want email me at ***@****

Have a nice day
WOW!  As many of you I was told the same lies by the Dr.!  I went to 3 or 4 different Dr.s the first one said I pulled a muscle and put me on pain killers.  The second Dr. told me I pulled a muscle/pain killers.  The third did some blood work and the fourth did just about every test ya'll mentioned and everything came back normal.  Well I doubt this kind of pain is NORMAL!!!!   I am 22 and I have had it off and on for about a year and a half in my left side.  And no one can figure out what it is.  They told me to keep a diary of like the foods I ate and when I went to the bathroom and when I felt the actual pains etc.  But I guess that didn't help to much either.  I am a little scared after reading that some of you have had this for MANY years!  Scary!  I to don't like going to the Dr. much and even more so when they can't even figure out what's wrong.  So many trips to the Dr.  and the insurance doesn't cover EVERYTHING!!!!  I can't believe all of us could have this pain and no one knows what it is??  Crazy!  Thanks for sharing!  Hope everyone feels better!
A related discussion, Pain after gallbladder surgery was started.
A related discussion, fatty liver was started.
Was wondering if any of y'all got any answers?  I have this same problem since I had my first son by C Section...also sharp stabbing groin pains.  Please let me kknow.  Thanks.
A related discussion, Same upper left quadrant pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain in left upper quadrant was started.
I havd been Dealing with pain in left side for years when I started juicing! Get a jack Elaine juicer grab your beets carrots celery cucumbers and drink!!!! Put away all sugar, sodas, and garbage and clear out of house. That means no cookies either. Begin slow by juicing a cucumber a day with One or two beets don't forget the roots and leaves!!! Mix veer juice with celery and carrot and cucumber, beets kill cancer so go slow. Add fruits and other veggies, don't mix fruits and veg, and slowly you will get better. I eliminated all red meats.  Eat fish chicken and never fried foods.   After a month of eating mostly juice, raw veggies, chicken fish and juice you should begin to purge all toxins. Lots of info on net for juicing. My entire family juices now and it's family fun!!!  We also got a wheat grass juicer and this stuff will aid in your healing like crazy. Also buy a parazapper by Hilda clarke online or do parasite cleanse. Online info avalable for how to. Parasites cause many problems so it's important to do thus. At first juicing brings on symptoms sometimes like fever blisters which can be viruses hidden in nerve tissue. Grap DMSO from nutrition store place a dot on middle of sore it kills it. I am not a dr but study nutrition after being sick my whole life. Email 'me' at ***@**** if you have any questions I'll help the best I can!  Also it's good to drink 6 -8 distilled glasses water a day.
Begin juicing beets And carrots first day I would start out one beet And three or four carrots. Then slowly add to that. Beets are very strong don't juice just beets and drink a whole bunch they are powerful and canals you quite ill.  Take it slow and read up on juicing. It's a lifestyle for people who are tired of being in pain. Or just I'll all the time. People say they don't have time it takes a few minutes a day and puts years back into your life. Please do organic veggies if possible. Wash everything really well. I am pain free now after three weeks of juicing I still get suk if I eat crap food because my body dislikes junk. Think of your body as a farari! It takes the best grade of fuel to operate! Junk builds up parasites infla
E organs and gallstones hurt and cause illnesses like colds etc.... Juicing eliminates hidden toxins parasites and cucumber for example gives you great skin . You must clean out the inside organs to get the outside organ or skin to be healthy and supple. Read Suzanne summers books if you really want to learn nutrition and health and have A healthylife!!!  
A related discussion, Sharp Pain Under Left Breast & In Left Breast was started.
A related discussion, Upper left quadrant pain was started.
I have read a lot of these post and all of you seem to be having difficulty similar to me. Anyone is welcome to email me personally if you feel symptoms like mine. I'm at a total loss as to where to go, what to do next. ***@****
Approximately four years ago, I started waking up at night on my left side with a pain under my left rib cage toward my sternum and thru to my back. When I'd roll over, it would feel like a foot is asleep and waking up. When that would happen, it would bother me for days sometimes accompanied by burning for hours, days even and sometimes I'd have shortness of breath. No combination of diet, IBS medicine, antacids, bentyl, nothing, NOTHING helps. I've had a negative EGD, Colonoscopy and negative CT's and MRI's. I've been to my GP more in the last four years more than I've ever been to the doctor in my whole life, I've seen the Gastro doctor and a neurologist. The only time I seemed to get help was from diathermy which is a heat treatment but even that didn't fix it but seemed to provide some relief. One time the pain hit so bad I thought I was going to climb the wall it was as bad as passing a kidney stone or childbirth. It seemed like it could be bowel but not really. Now I've had at least 6 or7 of these episodes as I call them, they come on really hard but only last 3-15 minutes but it gets almost unbearable then I feel bad for days even weeks. Just posting because I see here I'm not alone and yes, I was flat out told it was all in my head!  Thanks for reading and praying for us all!!
A related discussion, for Hope was started.
A related discussion, pain was started.
A related discussion, Upper Left quad pain was started.
A related discussion, Upper Left Quadrant Pain below left breast was started.
A related discussion, Mass with pain in ULQ after eating was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?