Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper LEFT quadrant pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper LEFT quadrant pain

I am 31 years old. This past May I had severe left sided upper quadrant pain. It felt like it was just under my ribs, usually in the front but sometimes in my side and when most severe, in my back. It lasted for about 3 weeks and I just let it go, confident that it would just go away.
In the first week of August the exact same pain came back. It was so severe that I called my MD after only 3 days. I had chest x-rays, abd sonogram and blood work. The only abnormality was my amylase which was 397. My lipase was somewhat elevated also. I had an abd CT which showed a slightly enlarged pancreas but was told that was probably normal for my age. I was but on prevacid and told to see what happens. I still complained of severe pain do I had an EGD. All was normal. I then had an ERCP done and while no obstruction was noted I did end up with pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 5 days. The 'pancreatitis' pain has now resolved but my original pain remains. I can now relate some of the pain to after meals but that pain usually occurs on the right side. The left sided pain is ALWAYS there. It gets bad and then eases up but is always there. I do become nauseated at times but I am not vomiting. I lost 10 pounds in the hospital but put 6 back on. No further weight loss has been noted. My GI physician is stumped. He did mention sphincter manometry but is hesitant due to my pancreatitis.
What I want to know is this: Is there a profile of patients who have sphincter dysfunction? Are there certain things that cause it or is the cause unknown? Would that cause LEFT sided pain. With the tests I have had done, would CA be ruled out or would that still be a possibility?
                          Thank you,
                              Elizabeth
Tags: Pain
Dear Elizabeth,
Left upper quadrant pain can be a difficult problem for physicians and patients.  Your posting indicates that you did have pancreatitis, even before the ERCP.  Whether your current pain is due to the pancreas is uncertain.  Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) can also cause vague abdominal pains.  A gastric emptying study can determine if you have gastroparesis.

Patients with sphincter of oddi dysmotility frequently have abdominal pain suggestive of biliary tree/pancreatic disease.  The pains are often vague and difficult to diagnose.  Hints that the problem might be in the sphincter include elevated liver tests and delayed emptying of the common bile duct after ERCP.
Have you received a cardiac workup?  Women have atypical symptoms for angina pain.
Hi---I have the EXACT same Upper Left pain you speak of---& have test after test after test---upper GI's  cat scans/abdominal scans
and NADA.....am very frustrated & wish I knew what to do also.......
Rob
It is comforting to know that someone else is going through the same thing...Are you still being worked up? I had more blood drawn last week and I am waiting to hear from the MD.

I can't believe the number of people who have unexplained abd. pain. It is somewhat disheartening. Let me know if you find anything out...
                                    Elizabeth
I have a had very similar problems and I have been seeing doctors for ten years. Keep asking questions until you find out what is wrong. I refuse to give up(just like the pain doesn't) and if enough people ask long enough more funding will be put into research and new drugs.  You may have lost weight but in the long run I ended up putting on a lot of weight which I really hate this pain is very limiting and I really wish you all the best with getting help. I am seeing another two doctors tomorrow and I am having chelation treatment at the moment to remove "toxins" as I say I'll try anything but so you dont waste your money chelation isnt working.
the best of luck to you and all of us who suffer.
P.S. please ignore all idiots who proclaim to be doctors and say "its all in your head" or "learn to live with it" hopefully you never encounter this breed they are dying off slowly by saying these things to the wrong patients. LOL
EVERYTHING YOUR WROTE SOUNDS VERY FAMILIAR.  MY SISTER HAD EVERYTHING YOU'VE DESCRIBED INCLUDING THE ENLARGED PANCREASE. SHE HAD SPHINCTER OF ODDI DYSFUNCTION AND HAS HAD A PROCEDURE DONE TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. TO SOON TO TELL IF IT WORKED.  SHE TOO CAME DOWN WITH BOUGHTS OF PANCREATIS (pancreatitis).  HOPE THIS HELPS.  (HER DOC ALSO TRIED TO CALL IT GAS OR REFLUX AND PUT HER ON PREVACID.)
I can only sit back and laugh right now...for 2 reasons...#1, My original GI physician asked me if I could live with this and #2 He put me on prevacid... I am going to see a new GI physician but not till Nov. 1. I really can't live with this and I will find out what is wrong. It is really amazing to me how many people have this same thing!!!
I am seeing a Veterans Administration doctor for the same pain in my left side. He told me that it could be swelling of my colon. I have bee eating a litte bit more healthy. I eat allot of oatmeal and fiber. It seemed to take care of my problem. The doc told me some times lack of fiber in your diet can cause the the colon to enlarge. which can press against the rib cage.
Hi there...I too, have been having upper left quadrant pain off and on since June.  Although it has gotten a little worse, and much more frequent over the past month.  I've been to my dr. a few times now...the first time thought it was a pulled muscle, the second time, took an abdominal xray, and said it was due to constipation, last week, I had chest and rib xrays (normal), blood work: sed rate (normal), cbc (normal), amylase (normal) and  LDH (hasn't come back yet).  In early August I had an abdominal ultrasound, everything was ok but I have another kidney stone in my left kidney.  Now later this week I go for a chest CT scan, which will show heart, lungs, blood vessels, lymph nodes, spleen, pancreas and liver.  I have a feeling now it has more with my colon, as I am getting this feeling on the right side too (but not as bad), and sometimes burning pain sensations as well, also back pains.  If the CT scan comes back normal, I'm going to tell my dr. I want a referral to a gastroenterologist...I'm tired of this pain and not feeling like myself!!!  Let me know if you find anything more out!!!!
Elizabeth,  I was having the same type of pain, but more in my mid right back and under right shoulder and side.  Sometimes on left side of back and some burning pain in upper abdominal area.  I had all the same similar tests done while taking Prevacid.  The symptoms just seem to get worse and all tests were coming up normal and no H.Pylori was present.  I went for 2 years with this pain and taking Prevacid or Prilosec continuously.  The symptoms never went away.  I also felt the nausea and the pain worsened when hungry and after eating.  I found a doctor who told me that I have a peptic ulcer and the reason that I am feeling so much in my back is because of my small frame. (5'5" 114lbs)  He put me on Zantac and Carafate every 12 hours along with Claritin because I had a post nasal drip which he said was also irritating the ulcer.  I am also on a diet (no coffee, no smoking, no chocolates, no acidic or spicy foods such as orange juice, tomatoes/sauce - and definitely no milk or dairy products such as cheese)  all of these attribute to the pain.  I have only been on this for 3 days now and am feeling better than I have felt in years.  All the other doctors gave up on me and starting looking at me like a hypochondriac.  I am thankful to find out that I was allergic to those medications and that I was not going crazy!  I hope you have the same problem so you can get on with your life too.  Good luck.
Karen
Elizabeth,

My thirteen year old son has complained of similar symptoms for the last two years.  He has constant pain in his upper left quadrandt and has bouts with nausea and vomiting.  He has had every diagnostic test there is including ERCP and finally exploratory surgery.  They can't find anything to link with his pain.  At times it is so severe he doubles over and sweats so badly he soaks his clothing.  He had pancreatitis that was probable brought on by the ERCP.  His enzyme levels were elevated for quite some time but are now at the high end of normal.  We are all quite frustrated and had one doctor tell him recently "to get over it and deal with it".  If anyone has any useful information for you or us, we would greatly apprecitae it.
Good luck on getting better.
Hi, I am 33 yrs old, I have had uper left pain for about a year now and it's driving be crazy.  I have a very High tolerance for pain, but I just can't deal with it anymore.  I have chest pain, sometimes trouble getting enough air and swallowing.  I have severe stomach pains that last for hours, radiating all the wal to my neck and shoulders.  I've had blood work, xrays, EKG, treadmill test, echocardigram, they still don't know what it is.  I've been on prilosec,for over a year, combined with other drugs for ulcers, allong with prednizone, and now recently they put me on buspar, because they think it all in my head,(stress)  What do I do now?
I have had upper left quadrant pain since March of this year. It started with a feeling of fullness and tightness in that area. It then graduated to stabbing and grabbing pains in that area. At this time, I also have pain in the left shoulder with it and sometimes in the left groin area. There have been some days and a week in August where I felt almost back to normal, but it always comes back. I have had an X-ray, abdominal ultrasound, hida scan, blood work, and endoscopy. The ultrasound showed gallstones and the hida scan showed that my gall bladder empties slowly, but my current doctor does not think it's a gall bladder problem because the pain and discomfort is  on my left side (gall bladder is on right). It just mystifies me that as bad and uncomfortable as this pain is, the tests don't show anything.
Hi, I too have suffered with this similar pain.  I was just rediagnosed with diverticular disease.  I had a portion of my colon removed a year and a half ago, they thought they removed all of the damaged colon.  After a Gastriographennema and a CAT Scan it was determined that my colon is riddled with diverticulitis.  I go in for surgery this Friday to have another section of the colon removed.   You may want to ask your MD to test for this common disease.  Good Luck
Tracy Laigle
***@****
I have had the very same pain for months now.  I also had pain on my right side.  I saw my family doctor who referred me to a specialist who told me that I had a gallstone and possibly fatty liver.  They removed my gall bladder and biopsied my liver and confirmed the fatty liver.  It has been two weeks since my surgery and I still have the pain on both sides.  I see my surgeon in two days and I hope he can answer my questions.  The specialist said that whatever was causing the pain on my right side could "possibly" be causing the pain on my right side.  The pain I feel on my right side is right under my ribs and when it is bad enough I feel it in my back also.  If I find out anything in a couple days, I will post it.  There is also the possibility that I am diabetic.  What or if this has anything to do with the pain, I don't know.
Tracy,

I always thought Diverticulitis was lower left quadrant pain. Was your pain upper left (near the ribs) or lower than that?
Originally it was lower quadrant.  They removed the sigmoid colon.  After about 6 months I started having severe pain in upper left quadrant, as well as diareahea, low grade fever, and occasional blood in stool.  Had a colonscopy done and it showed diverticuli, but they didn't think it was inflamed.  Months went by and after being on pain meds for all of this time and numerous tests...... they finally did the gastroigrph and it showed that the left and transverse side of the colon were riddled with diverticuli.....  so here we go again...I go in this Friday to have the left side and the transverse removed.  hope this helps you out,,....I know how frustrating it is!!!  You begin to think it is all in your head.........but that pain is real......
Good luck!!!
Tracy
Dear Elizabeth,
I am just finding out what complete idiots doctors really are.  When they do not know something, they either ignore it, give it little effort and attention, or send you to a psychologist because it simply must be all in your head.  I am dealing with a 10 year old child right now who has constant pain in the abdomen and the left side, for 10 months now, and I have heard the awfullest bunch of garbage in the world, with still no answers.  I have been through this with physicians before, and it was three years before they figured out what my medical condition was.  None of them was standding in line to offer an apology for all of their ignorant comments, degrading remarks and lack of help, either.
I wish you lots of luck with finding out about your problem.  Be VERY wary of doctors, they know a lot less than we think they do, and most of them are to proud to admit that.  Also, the more remote area you live in, the less your chances are, too.  Don't ever come the the good-for-nothing state of Tennessee to get help-these doctors would see a person die first.
Dear Betsy,

It sounds as if you have had a bad experience with doctors.  My 13 year old son has been in pain for two years now with every test they can think of with absolutely no results.  He had pancreatitis, most likely brought on by an ERCP.  The pain never goes away and he his nauseous and vomits frequently.  He misses a great deal of school with this and turns down social invitations because he doesn't want to be "sick" away from home.

Has anyone ever heard of chronic pancreatitis with enzyme levels in the high end of normal? His pain is in his upper left abdomine and at times wraps around to his back.  The pain never goes away and sometimes peaks at a 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 - 10.  He has just started to see a physcologist that specializes in chronic pain.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck to your daughter.
Dear Lela,
    I don't have any help to offer but what you've described is exactly what I've been going through. I had acute pancreatitis brought on by an ERCP but other than that it has been left upper quadrant pain that goes into my back. My amylase and lipase are still elevated but nothing drastic. I really feel like someone is missing something. My pain is usually about a 3-4 on the pain scale but sometimes it really flares up and is about a 15 :) If you get anything figures out let me know.
                                   Elizabeth
Did you ever think it was or rule out Gall Stones. I have these simptoms and DR thinnks that is the problem. Getting tested soon.
I hope that is it. Easy to get rid of.
Colleen,
I have been dealing with pain in my upper left side for 1 1/2 years now along with a breathing problem. Every time I eat the pain gets worse. It feels so heavy on that side. It seems like I can almost feel the food go right through my intestines. When I take deep breaths it hurts on that side. I have had chest x-rays Cat-Scan, Pft's Asthma tests. I keep telling the doctors that my lungs don't hurt. It hurts in my left side and all I get is that it's in my head. That my brain is making my body do it some how.
I don't believe it. All my tests were normal. Yet my side still throbs and keeps me up at night. This pain also goes into my left side of my neck and shoulder. I sure wish I could find a doctor that would just fix it and stop telling me it's in my head. I use to so active. This has stopped me in my tracks. I have 4 children and use to work full time, now I have even quit my job. Please !!! If anyone figures it out let me know.
Colleen,
Thank goodness! I was starting to think it was just me. Same symptoms, left upper quad pain, right at my ribs. There all the time, but significantly worse after eating. I've tried eating smaller meals-no help. I'm about ready to go off solid food and see if just taking liquids helps. I wonder if this isn't a motility problem, since the pain becomes worse within minutes after eating. I see from the postings there doesn't seem to be much help!
You haven't heard anything yet...  I've had these symptoms since the age of 22 and I am now 31!!  That's 9 years, going on 10!!  I have had upper GI's, sonograms, two endoscopys, two gall bladder tests, and all blood and urine tests imaginable.  I've been told "It's just stress," irritable bowel, ulcers, and hyperacidity.  I've been in 8 different emergency rooms up and down the east coast, depending upon where I was living at the time of each "stomach attack."  It would be safe to say I've been in an emergency room because of my stomach on the average of 4-5 times per year.  They take urine and blood, give me a pain killer, and send me home.  I don't have this pain every day. However, when I do get a "stomach attack" it is the most excruciating pain under my lowest left rib.  The pain shoots into my back.  Each attack lasts anywhere from 10-14 hours and leaves me totally debilitated.  I do have esophageal reflux disease, however, that pain is totally different from the pain of my "stomach attacks."  Even though I don't have pain constantly, the area below my left rib has a constant presence.  I have not been able to figure out what foods cause these attacks.  One day I had a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast and in 20 minutes I was curled up in the worst pain.  Another symptom arises when my pain finally subsides, gas.  Plenty of gas.  I've been on every medicine for gastrointestinal disease, including Levsin, which is an anti spasmodic.  It is suppose to prevent intestinal spasms - NOT!  I've already taken 4 extra-strength Phazymes at one time, thinking the problem was just gas.  Obviously, they didn't work or I'd have stock in that company!  I am at the end of my rope.  I have been living with this problem for way too long!  Is there a hospital or medical university which specializes in these types of mystery gastrointestinal disorders?  Will somebody please help me?
Not very reassuring. I'm 37 yr old male and problem has worsened for last year or so. Upper left pain, gas, dizzyness, fatigue. I'm in good shape, stopped smoking, eat OK. Maybe we should form a group to ensure that if all symptoms related to same thing, a successful treatment could be shared if found. Any ideas ?
I hear you ALL!!! you are not alone!
I am a 21 year old female that has had the same
symptoms and condition for a week and a half now, and
reading all this really makes me scared that im going to have to
deal with it for life!! I don't want to live like this!
I have pain in my right and left sides right under my rib. This
pain is constant,never goes away , and is taking over my life
I don't want to do things and go places and am really discouraged. There is nothing wrong with my bowel movements.
no nausea or vomiting... so what the heck !!!
You know my gastroenterologist diagnosed me after hearing me talk for only 3 min , and sent me on my way .. it's almost as if they don't want to listen to us.My parents also shrug it off like it's no big deal (they don't know what it feels like) We should at least support one another somehow..
If anyone has any suggestions for me please don't hestitate!
I need help. I 've never had anything else wron with me in my whole life and can't deal with this on my own
thanks for listening and being there, guys
Hi~~~  Am recouping from having left and upper quadrant of colon removed due to Diverticular Disease.  So far so good!!  The pain in the left upper and lower quadrants of abdomen are gone.  I sympathize with you all in the pain you are feeling.....it took forever for them to diagnose what was wrong with me.  What was supposed to be a 3 hour surgery ended up being an 8 hour surgery.  My intestine was riddled with diverticulum and there was an immense amount od adhessions from the prior surgery.  .....You may want to be tested for this nasty little disease. I had symptoms that sound very much like the ones noted by others in this section.  Good luck!!!
Trac
It worries me that so many people have the same problems and no help. I have suffered for over 10 years with the same symptoms as all of the above. I hade a complete hysterotomy(however you spell it!) because of endo. Thinking that it was the cause for all the pain. Unfortunatly it was not.Sometimes I wish they would find something so I can say I am not crazy! I have had all the test imaginable and all things besides chronic IBS have been ruled out. So they say stress bad diet and spastic colon is all it is. I sometimes find that hard to believe. But that is what they say and since there is no other explaination that is what I am left with. I am tempted to take a copy of all of your statements and say are all these people stressed out and on bad diets? It is great however that we can all talk about it on line. I thank the Lord above for allowing me to find your website so I don't feel so alone!!! If any of you find out something besides what I have I hope you will tell us all the cure! Thanks again Tammy
I am amazed at the amount of people, especially young people, that have had these problems!!  I was told that I was a rare exception, that these things generally happen to older folks.  I would love to start a chat room discussing these problems...if anyone knows how to go about it, please let us know.  It has helped me mentally to know that I am not alone in this abyss of unknowns!!!  I hope that some of the info that I have given can be helpful to others!!
Tracy
Some how we all need to set up a chat room. So we can discuss all of our symtems. Then see if we can figure out what the best solution is. It is so sad that these Doctor's now days are so money hunger and don't LISTEN to our  symtems.
I am going in for a colonoscopy on the 22nd. I don't want to have bad news. But I do want them to find what is wrong just to ease my mind. Having an answer is easyer to deal with then not knowing what is wrong.
Do any of you have a breathing problem with these symtems of pain on you left side? I wake up at night and feel like my whole body is pulsesating.The medication I am on now helps with the pain alittle bit. I ran out of medication and boy did I pay for it with pain. The thing is that I don't want to keep taking medication for this I WANT IT FIXED.  Thanks for listening.
I to have had this pain for several years..I did find much relief when I stopped all milk products,  breathing improved also. When 'attack' is very bad I usually had just ate bread of some kind.  But not always...I am very concerned about those young children who were vomiting several times a day..sounds like something more that what the adults have experienced..
If they haven't gone to a Gastro Clinic at a local chilren's hospital maybe it's time.

Our friend has helped her 15 year old son with severe upper left quadrant pain by sending him to a specialist and also a Naturopath.. all dairy, white flour, sugar stopped.  He has gained back 10 lbs of the 15lbs he lost and is starting to have more strength.

For the young boy who was vomitting...has he/she been checked for Celiac disease..it presents with many of the same symptoms..you can't mess around with the younger kids..if your doctor isn't doing anything..take him to emergency at a children's hospital..wait 4 hours if you have to..this way you can get into see a gastro. pediatric specialist who sees difficult cases all the time.. good luck!
This is quite interesting....I have the same pain ULQ under rib. It mysteriously appeared 1 month ago and will not go away. Pain is a dull ache, sometimes stabbing. Sometimes it crosses to the right side but not for long. All blood tests and serum tests are good. Occassionally pain seeems to reappear in lower left quadrant.

I just came back from doctor today. After he did deep palpation I thought I was gonna die cause it aches so much. I would be interested in ANY thoughts about this as my fear was pancreatic cancer.
Rob,
    What is deep palpation?  I just a colonoscopy today. It has been the worse experiance I have ever been through. That stuff they make you drink to clean you out made me so sick!!!! Anyway from what the doctor could see there wasn't anything wrong he did take 4 biopsy's to test for colitis. I still have to go in for 2 more upper GI test. The pain in my left side is not any better. The doctor gave me Ultram for the pain which helps but it isn't a cure. I can't wait until they figure it out I am so tired of being sick.
I am a 25 year old male who has been experiencing this sudden stabbing pain in my upper left quadrant, similar to most everyone elses in this forum.  The pain will appear suddenly, as if is was just stabbed in the chest, and it causes me to take very short breaths. This has been occurring off and on as far back as I can remember. It always would subside within 5 minutes, 15 minutes max. Well, last week it came back, But didn't go away this time.  It lasted for 3 days very strong, then reduced to dull pain, then again today, shot through my chest.  I am very concerned for my health as all of you are.  I have not seen a doctor yet, (reading everyones notes, maybe I shouldn't :) Anyway, I am going to toy with reducing milk & Dairy from my diet.  It seems, when doing so in the past combined with Lactaid (Lactose intollerence suppliment) I get much better sleep and feel like a champ.  I am going to go get some more and see if it rids the pain.  I'll keep posting...
I, too, have ulq pain along with almost constant gas, bloating, and rounds of diarhea (diarrhea) and constipation (doc says IBS). My first encounter with this ulq pain was about 19 years ago when I was pregnant for the first time. At that time the pain was attributed to the fact that I was overly distended due to a complicated pregnancy causing my insides (not very medical, huh?)to push into my very thinck ribs which were broken about 25 years ago.  Since then, my stomach problems have increased - the IBS symptoms along with constant heartburn, frequent nausea and gas/bloating.  I am so uncomfortable that I cannot sleep on my left side; when I get up in the morning, I feel so gassy that I can't easily bend or turn.  Recently, I think I am having bloody stools.  I will continue to read the posts and am going to the Doctor's within a few days so will let you all know what I find.  BTW-I have a wonderful Doc!
Hi, I recently had aendoscopy and colonoscopy for LUQ pain .            iwas told thatI have an enlarged spleen,and have to have an ultrasound done.does any one know what this could be?Ihave had Ibs on and off for years always with costipation. Help        im kind of worried.
I am still having severe pain in my left side. I had a colonoscopy done and I do have some sort of colitis. I also had an upper GI done and a small bowel x-ray. The Radiologist said that my left diaphram was working way to hard and my right one didn't seem to be working at all or very little. So she made a point to talk to the GI doctor about this and he sent me a letter telling me this is out of his field and I need to see a pulmanary doctor. So I went to see a pulmanary doctor and he told me that it was impossible for this to be happening and that it wouldn't hurt if there was something wrong with my diaphram. He told me he has spent enough time on me and that he doesn't know whats wrong. What a joke?!!!! I was so mad when I left there. Some doctors are just out for the money. And this one is for sure one of them!!!! If anyone could guide me to pulmanry forum I would appreciate it.
I, too, have experienced the run-around with doctors.  I've seen 6 doctors since May for recurrent dull  abdominal  about 2 inches to the left of the navel. Sigmoidoscopy was ok.  I had a recent attack of an ulcer-like feeling in the central abdomen between meals,  along with upper left pain, stocmach noises and bloating after dinner- Axid was prescribed for a possible ulcer. No tests were done.  This all concerns me .  I used to have no pain at all and so far all they say is irritable bowel.  I have no other bowel symptoms!...Any comments?
I have been struggling with left upper quadrant pain for almost 8 years.  I have had tests for my gall bladder, been prescribered ulcer medication but nothing so far has help. I am in the process of having ovarian cancer ruled out.  I havn't found the doc's to offer much sypmathy or advice since nothing shows on hida scan, ultrasound or upper gi.  This pain it tolerable but the attack I had Thanksgiving Day with 24 people waiting for dinner was horrible.  Standinf gor long periods seems to make it worse.  I haven't really found a true food connection as one day i can eat a certain food and the next time the same food will have me writhing in pain.  I remain on a very bland diet and I exercise but the pain still is there.  I do know that anything hign in fat is like a death wish.  Thanks for listening.  Brea
I have had and still have the same symptoms each of you are having. I did have a colonoscopy, enoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, ultrasounds, and a few other tests. My gastro doctor says I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and a hiatal hernia. I am on prilosec and levsinex. I was feeling pretty good for awhile, but since the holidays have been here I am starting to feel bad again. I still wonder about my gall bladder too. They have never checked it out for me. I am sooo glad that I am not alone in this. Only you know how I feel. I was beginning to think it was all in my head too! I know it isn't... If my stomach keeps hurting by monday I am going to go see a doctor again.... I will keep in touch. Hope the New Year brings much better health to each of you.      In Jesus Love, Robin
I have had pain on my left side, below my rib cage for about 3 weeks now. Before, I started getting this pain I was very constipated for several months with small, hard stools.
I'm in a constant bloated state and do not get much relief after bowel movements. Like everyone else, I've been to every doctor in the book and they aren't finding too much.

Any help would be nice.

For the past 2 months, pain in the upper left quadrant (a dull aching constant that sometimes twinges like gas, but mostly dull aching sore like someone has kicked me in the side).  Also I can sometimes feel my pulse throbbing in the center of my abdomen very hard (have been thinking it's because of all the anxiety I've been having becasue I am terrified.)  My side and rib cage can get very tender to the touch, and stays that way to varying degrees of pain.

First they thought it was a kidney stone becasue I also noticed pain in my groin and there was  some blodd in my urine (but later they told me 0-3 whaich is completely normal).  They took rxrays and then I was sent for an IVP.  Apparently both showed no kidney stones. Next they sent me for a pelvic ultrasound (although the pain is not in my pelvis; it is higher up near my ribcage and navel and around into my back where it feels like a muscle spasm and sometimes up into my shoulder blade. Most of the time is is a dull constant pulled muscle kind of feeling that says in my upper left abdomen.

The pelvic ultrasound showed I had a small (1.6 cm) hemorrhagic cyst on my left ovary.  My Primary Care Physician thought the pain I was having could be referred from that, and possible the bleeding was inflaming my psoas muscle.  She then had me see a GYN specialist who said he had never seen pain from an ovarian cyst referred up there, especially not being the primary source of the pain. He believed it was something visceral (organ related) and not musculoskeletal or gynecological. He said he had grabbed a hold of my left ovary and I didn't even notice it, so he didn't think any pain at all was coming from there.

So they sent me immediately for a CT scan whichthe radioligist said turned up "normal" with the exception of some fluid in my abdomen, which my doctor thought could be caused by the bleeding ovarian cyst.  All of my bood work has come back normal but they are still waiting on the results of lipase.

I don't seem to notice that it is worse (or better) after eating.  I've also been trying to determine whether my bowel movements are different.  Perhaps they look a little narrower, but I have also noticed that they are not always fully formed (although I wouldn't call it diarrhea - just softer and not solidly shaped (this could also depend on what I eat). This is a slight change from what is normal for me but it is hard to say exactly.

I've also lost no weight. I eat no red meat (for approx 20 yrs now), mostly a vegetarian diet with chicken and fish occasionally. Eat yogurt, granola, fiber, organic juices. I have smoked off and on for years (20) but just gave it up as this new year's resolution after whittling down to about 2-3 /day with an occasional binge of 10 or so. Now completely smoke free for 9 days.  Types of cancer that have been in my family have been brain, lung, breast, liver and stomach.

I'm 39 years old, have been fairly physically active until the last couple of months and now I feel like I can't do what I normally do. I'm about 130 lbs  5'5' not overweight at all.

I will be seeing a abdominal specialist within the next week or so.  Does anyone have any suggestion?  My PCP whom I like is baffled but she does not want to give up on tracking what is causing my pain.  She also stated emphatically that she does not believe it is in my head.  I am not the type to go to the drs., take pills of any kind (even vitamins), etc.  Have had reflux but that's about it.

Can anyone help with any info?  Very much appreciated.

Carol D.
Of all the comments about ULQ pain, yours sounds the closest to what I have experienced for 10 months. You can check my above post to get the details. Anyway, to make a long story short, I have had all the tests and all have come back negative. My doctor is talking about pain management now. In other words,  in his opinion, there's nothing more he feels he can do except help me manage the pain. But, I would advise you to get all the tests, and if they figure out what it is, PLEASE let all of us know because many of us are out of ideas. Please don't be scared. As I said, I've felt the same things you have for 10 months and I'm still here and hanging in there with all of it.

Just wanted to give you a little moral support and let you know that you're not alone.
Thanks, Jean, for your reply.  I could really use the support right now cause I'm pretty scared.  I can't stop thinking about it.

Also, this morning I had diarrhea.  This is the first I've experienced since having the pain that started nearly 2 months ago.
Part of me thinks it's becasue of all the anxiety I've been having, and part of me thinks it's related to whatever is going on.
I've been having some gurgling noises around that area all along, but they seem a bit more intensified as of the past 3 - 4 days.  I also took my temp and it's just over 99 degress, which iI htink is pretty normal, isn't it?

I really wish someone could help me. I've been up since 5am just waiting until 8am when I can call my Drs. office again.  Becasue I belong to an HMO, it's often difficult to reach the Dr. but she has been pretty good at staying with me on this as of recently.

Again, thanks, and please do stay in touch. I'll keep the list posted if I find out any more information.

Carol D.
Wow! This all sounds so familiar to me. Carol, I am also waiting until my HMO doctor is there so that I can talk to him AGAIN about my symptoms. I had a vaginal delivery 12/7/99, healthy baby girl! On the evening of 1/6/00 I developed a fever of 102, I have absolutely no flu symptoms. On 1/7/00 I began to feel some pain when taking breaths, the pain is on the inhale. I went to my primary care physician, who happens to be a GI doc! He took an x-ray to rule out pneumonia, no other tests were ordered. He told me to take tylenol for the pain and that maybe it was just the beginning of a virus...Pain in LUQ intensified on Saturday 1/8/00, two times during the day I was in so much pain that I wanted to stop breathing, I was panting, I could barely move, the pain was excruciating. The urgent care doc did a CBC and UA, both came back "negative, but it looks like pleurisy". I was given a prescription for Motrin and Darviset. Since Saturday the pain has moved up my left side and into my left shoulder. Could not lie down at all yesterday, having lots of gas..burping and farting, however since I am breastfeeding I have been VERY careful to avoid gassy foods. I have not had a bowel movement since Thursday, and the last few movements I had were not solid. I cannot believe my GI doc did not run the blood or urine tests. Oh yeah, the lab was doing a urine culture, and the results should be in today. I have two children at home and cannot stand sitting in bed all day. I was able to get myself up to go on the internet, but only because I am on the meds. The pain is still there, in my lower left ribcage in the back and then up the whole left side of my ribs and left shoulder and neck. Sorry this was so long, but if anyone has any advise I'd appreciate it. I will post back after I talk to my doctor again today.

Thanks and good luck everyone. Oh yeah, I'm almost 32, and have never had any other type of GI problem in the past.
Debbie - you sound like you're having similar frustrations regarding getting a hold of your primary care physician at your HMO.  I too have been experiencing this and it makes me even more anxious, which I think aggravates my pain.  The timing is bad now in particular because it is flu season.  The other day when I was in the Drs. office, the waiting room was so full, people were standing - most of them elderly.  The doctors and medical assistants are all very overworked, and I feel bad blaming them.  They have a tough job, and I know I couldn't do it.

I was also given Darvocet (generic equvalent) for the pain. I haven't taken much of it because I have been trying to really pay attention to what is going on with my body.  The times I did take the pain killers (so I could get a little rest and function at work last week), they merely took the edge off.  I also worry that popping them will only cause more constipation, so I'm trying to stay away.  Today I am also trying to refrain from eating any dairy products, just to see if it has any positive effect.

I did get to speak with my doctor this morning who reported that all my bloodwork (including amylase/lipase) has come back normal.  Once again - baffling!  She is planning to call me in an hour or so to set up a consultaion with an abdominal specialist.  I imagine that person will probably ask me for a stool sample, which they haven't yet checked.  My dorcotr did say not to worry about fever unless it was 101 or more.  Sounds like you should be concerned about yours. The only other adivice I can give you is to really push to see another Dr. (specialist, anyone -- in my case it was the GYN who got my doctor to move on testing further becasue his analysis about what was going on with me differed from what she thought.

Also -- if any of you are interested in alternative treatment, tomorrow I am seeing a friend of a friend who is an experienced acupuncturist/herbalist.  I'll let you know the results of my visit.  Acupuncture can clear blocked meridians of energy (my pain feels like a blockage at times).  The herbs can also resolve the bleeding cyst on my ovary - the only thing I know for sure that they have turned up.  I figure if I work on healing that and the upper abdominal pain goes away, then great - if not no harm done.

Hang in there Debbie and get even more assertive with your HMO doctor.  I've never been that way until just last week, but it is true about the squeaky wheel.  Make sure you get all the tests!

Carol D.
Thanks Carol. I did speak to my Doctor this afternoon and based on the er doctor's diagnosis on Saturday he is concurring that I have pleurisy. I spoke with my boss, he had pleurisy 2 weeks ago, and the symptoms sounded the same. He also was fine until he got a fever and the pain. I am feeling a little better today, though without the Darvocet I would be dying. My doctor said that because I'm breastfeeding right know he wants to wait to see if this clears up in the normal duration of a viral infection. The tests he would have to do to test other possible problems would prohibit my breastfeeding for a while. I appreciate his consideration for the breastfeeding of my daughter and have decided to give it until the Darvoset has been used up. If it's no better...I'm requesting more tests. I feel that I have great understanding now for people that live with chronic pain. The herbal angle sounds interesting. For now I'm loading up on prunes and high fiber foods! Good luck!
Hi~~~  LOL I really didn't think I would have to be writing about this again, but here we go again!  I had most of my colon removed in October due to the Diverticulitis.  Was good for a couple of weeks, then pain started in the upper right side (that stabbing pain you got as a kid when you ran too far too fast).  They did another CAT SCAN and showed that part of my incision had heerniated.  But, the doctor could not feel when she examined me.  So I was put back on Bentyl, Darvocet,Lomotil, Celebrex, Imiperine, Axid and finally Ambien to help me sleep.  Within another week or so, I began having the same kind of pain on my left upper side and I started feeling  a little lump just under my rib when it really acts up.  Due to having most of my colon removed there is diarehea, but now there is blood in it as well.
I went to the DR yesterday and I now have to go through another colonoscopy, she is thinking that it could be a small tear in the colon or colitis.  I really like my Doctor and trust her.  I have been under her care now for three years and I think it is almost as frustrating to her as it is to me.  She believes the pain that I am feeling but is just as confused as to what keeps causing these things to reoccur.  If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them!!  It just really amazes me at the amount of people that have responded to this same pain!!
Just a note to the writer who was running the fever, I was told to seek medical attention immediatly if my temp went up 2 degrees over my norm (my norm is 96.9)  So you may want to seek attention right away.   If you would like to chat about this my email is ***@**** and I will be happy to swap notes.  I hoper all of the above people are doing better, just don't give up!!  Now you know you are not alone or crazy!!
Tracy
All of you who have had the CT scans:  just how accurate are these tests?  Would they see a rpoblem inside the colon or would that have to be tested for some other way?  I read a comment somwhere else on the web from a man who said he had 2 CT scans that came back normal, yet he ended up having some stage of colonic cancer.

Also - my very first xray for this problem back in December showed a roound white thing (maybe a lttle larger than a pea, smaller than a marble) in the general area where I am having the pain, and  which at first my Dr. thought could be a large kidney stone.  However, the radiologist who read the xray dismissed it as a loop in my intestine that showed up that way.

Would anyone know if a mass / tumor might also show this way on an xray?  The subsequent tests (IVP, bloodwork , Ultrasound and CT scan) all showed up normal, as I've mentioned, with the exception of the Ultrasound which showed a cyst on my left overy (quite a bit lower that where I have my pain.)

Also - the CT did show fluid in my pelvis which my Dr. thinks is from the cyst. Does anyone have any experience with this. Could the fluid be casuing me paing up in the ULQ/  Could it be putting pressure on my colon and or affecting the nerve endings and muscles that run through teh abdomen so that I feel the pain up high?

I'd really like to post (as opposed to commenting on this topic) these questions to one of the Drs. on this forum, but every morning I've tried to post for the past week, I get a message saying that the posting limit for the day has been reached.  It's 5am EST and I still got this message when I tried to post this morning. Can anyone help me with this?  If any of you have any luck posting, could you copy and paste the text of this message?

FYI - I'm 39, don't eat a high fat diet, no red meat for the past 20 years, lots of veggies, occasional bouts of reflux (I had been a smoker off and on for teh past 20 years), but that's about it.  As of Jan 1. have cut out alcohol. As of this week, have cut out caffeine and dairy.  All test results are normal.

Thanks much!

Carol D.

I also forgot to ask a question about bowel movements.  Not sure if what's going on with me might be a sign.  It seems that I have a BM every morning but that they are not solid -- not diarrhea, just not completely solid - they are more fibery and break up in the toilet -- also sometimes float. No blood noticable to the eye.  I think they've been this way for about 2 -3 3 months but I dismissed it as related to what I've been eating.  Now I'm wondering, as I used to have pretty regulary formed stools which would only occasional differ and show up soft.

Again - any help, advice, anything at all - would help me, especial if anyone has luck posting to the Drs. on this forum and could include my above post along with this one. The anxiety is really getting to me.

Thanks all.

Carol D.
I am a 31 y/o with Type 1 Diabetes (insulin-dependent) and have started having all the above symptoms as of the 1st of this year. Went to the ER with extreme chest pain and numbness in my left arm. All cardiac possibilities were ruled out, and I was sent home. I did a follow-up with my doctor who took an Amylase (yet to hear the results), and did a KUB xray.

Even though I have regular BM's, he came back laughing stating that I was basically full of it (if you catch my drift). Went home this past weekend with 2 bottles of Mag. Citrate and proceeded to cleanse myself. Lost 10 lbs this weekend (AMAZING), but still having chest pains and stomach is on fire (probably due to the extreme weekend I just went through). Go for a pancreatic sonogram next week. Don't know what is going on, but glad I found this forum to at least voice my opinion.

It' amazing that none of the doctors in this world can come up with a definitive answer for all of our troubles. It is not only frustrating to deal with this pain on a constant basis, but even more bothersome when coping with Diabetes on top of it. I keep my Diabetes under good control, and am about 6'2 and weigh about (Now after this weekend HAHA) 190 lbs. Thanks for letting me rant. Hopefully someone will end up with an answer in the near future.
Bruce -

You say you had left arm weakness. I just started experiencing this, too.  Also groin "pain" more like a pulled muscle feeling.  The left arm weakness feels heavy and tight and sort of numb but not (sort of like a pinched nerve feeling).  Did your Dr. say what the arm symptoms were from?

Thanks for any info.

Carol D.
I am a 44 year old female.  I have had the same symptoms as most of you.  These pains have began about a month or so ago.  They begin in the upper left quadrant and then seeem to radiate down and into the left groin area.  By the process of elimination, I chose to check with my gynecologist first thinking that perhaps there were some female problems.  I do have some fibroids, and a cyst on my RIGHT ovary--wrong side!!  I'm due for a follow-up pelvic ultrasound.  If nothing is found, I'll have to seek assistance from my primary physician.  My fear is a colon problem.  My father died of colon cancer about 5 years ago at the age of 72.  Bowels are fine, but I have had a mild case of irritable colon (stress related--for about the last 25 years).
Any other suggestions from anyone?
Hi Diane -

with your family history I'd think it would definitely be a good idea to get colon cancer testing, just as a routine.  Then you can have peace of mind about it.  Apparently they have ruled that out in my case, but I still have no real diagnosis.  Above I've posted another question to the doctor's here in the hopes that I can get some more insight as to what might be causing my pain.  Hopefully someone will respond and perhaps that will be helpful in your case too.  But at the very least, I'd encourage you to get a routine screening for the colon stuff.

I also have a cyst on my left ovary, so it is on the same side as I experience my upper left quadrant pain, but the gyno said he didn't think my pain was being caused by the cyst.  They've also ruled out kidney stones which can often cause the groin pain.

Recently I've heard about something callled Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain (CFAP).  There is a web site where you can read more about it:

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/medicine/fgidc/cfap.htm

I'm not entirely convinced this is what's wrong with me, but since all my tests and films have returned normal, I'm starting to wonder.

Hope this helps you some and if you figure out anything, let me know!

Carol D.
c_defeciani***@****
Finally went for that Colonoscopy--I was a basket case right before it.  Results were just fine, thank God!!  I still have the pain though.  I did receive results from my pelvic ultra sound.  I have thickening of the endometrial lining which is going to be measured next week.  This is just an additional problem that is  unrelated  to the pain in my left rib.  My primary dr. thought I either had a kidney infection or kidney stones, but those two things are also pretty much ruled out, we think? Thanks for your info on CFAP.  I'll be researching it as soon as I get some spare time.  Please keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same.
I have had the pain repeatly after surgery and was told it was part of the cartlage of my ribs detaching itself and I was to live with it. The apin has had me out of work more often in the last ten years than anything else.
Has anyone found something that works, except giveup off food.
I have posted in other areas, but just wanted to say my peace here, as well.  I am a 30 yr old female, slightly overweight, but exercise 5 days a week including step aerobics, bike, yoga, walking, eliptical trainer.  I have been a vegetarian for about 12 years eating some seafood on rare occassions.  I am relatively healthy and have never had any concerns with anything, except mild asthma and some seasonal allergies.  About a year ago  noticed a stabing pain in my left side under my rib area, similar to a runner's stitch.  The "stitch" varies in intensity.  I went to my doctor  about a month after the onset.  He poked around my abdominal area and noticed my left side was unusually tender to touch.  I would flinch when he touched my left rib area.  He diagnosed me with costrocondritis and also did a blood test for diverticulitis (normal).  I told him about shortly before I had this pain I had a sharp and intenese gas type pain in my lower ab.  It was so bad it made me double over and I could not stand up straight.  (I blew this off, at the time, to just bad gas.)  I told my doctor I didn't think it was costrocondritis and that it felt more intestinal.  At that time I did not have any real unusual bowel movements (BM).  Anyway, he sent me home prescribing ibuprofen, which obviously didn't work.  Anyway, I had just been living with the pain.  I went for an annual physical (to a new doctor) and also brought up the pain.  He also noticed the tenderness on LHS and ordered Xrays of chest/rib area (normal results).  I told him I had started to experience numbness in my leg whcih sometimes goes unnoticed until I stand up.  I also get this numbness in my left arm, but it is not a frequent.  My BM's have changed too, about 6 months ago.  Initially I would have bouts of constipation with intervals of loose BM's (but I wouldn't call it diarrhea).  Now I mainly have BM's daily or more, that are loose, but not diarrhea and the bouts of constipation are less frequent, whcih may be a result of me adding more fiber to my diet.  When I have a BM i sometimes strain to evacuate my bowels, whcih causes my to have pressure in my diaphragm and sternum area.  Within the post 2-3 months I have also begun to experience reflu and regurgetation.  I also experience a sense of fullness (actually pressure in my sternum area) after eating only small quantities of food)  I noticed the reflux around the time I started a new asthma medication (Singulair) but did not notice my symptoms of reflux as a possible side effect on the insert.  Sometimes I feel so full of gas and my stomach gets so distended feeling I can barely button my pants.  I feel a pressure in my sternum area and can find it hard to get a good breath sometimes.  I have noticed I am more gasy then I have ever been before, and it can be unpleasant feeling, amongst other things) Although my need to have a BM has always increased around the time I am going to have my period (due to hormonal changes), I have noticed this even more so, now.  Anyway, I have decided to go to a gastro dr.but have yet to make an appointment.  I am going to bring a print out of the other postings here to help explain my problem more and so that the dr. won't think I am crazy.  I live near Philadelphia and have a lot of good hospitals and doctors out here.  Good luck to everyone and hope we can all come up with something if we work together.  Oh yeah, I had an annual physical done in January.  Good results on all blood tests.  Went to ob/gyn in Dec, no problems.  I haave had blood tests done in the past.  One I had done on 5/28/93 showed slightly positive ANA(antinuclear antibodies) (which I beleive is for arthritis).  I had another blood test done 7/31/96 which also showed my ANA pattern as speckled with a ration of 1:80 with low antibodies.  My doctor back then stated he wanted to have me tested for lupus... whcih came back negative.  But, I am wondering if this ANA could be somthing related??? Just a thought.  Dawn
Just wondering?  How did the cartilage become detached from the rib? Was it from your surgery, an injury, or just wear and tear?
My pain also feels like it is radiating from either under or on the rib.  Sometimes it travels up near the flank and down to near the navel.  Again, all left side discomfort.  Up until all this discomfort (about 2 months ago) I used to run about 4 miles a day and bike about 6.  Now, I am not exercising at all because I am afraid I will aggravate the pain.

I am still in the process of going through some additional tests.  So, not all results are in.
Hi Diane -

The way you describe how your pain radiates is also similar to what I feel.  I also have it radiating into my hip and leg -- again, all on the left side.

I had't been exercising at all, either, because of fear of making things worse, but about 2 weeks ago, I started going to the gym, stretching, riding the staionery bike 10 -15 minutes and walking 2 miles on the treadmill.  Last Friday I actually jogged on the treadmill for 1/2 mi. at a slow pace.  So far, I don't think the exercise has exacerbated my pain (although 2 months ago, I hurt so bad, I wouldn't have been able to even think about exercise!)  I now think the exercise is making me feel stronger both physically and mentally.  I guess my thinking is, if I can do everything within my control to build up my strength (and eat very well!), maybe I can actually heal myself.  At the very least, if I end up needing some kind of surgery, I'll be in good shape for it.

Today I went for another pelvic ultrasound. The tech said everything looked good, but the report from the radiologist will take 2 days to get back to my primary care doctor.  I'll let you know if it offers any insight into what the casue of this mystery pain is.

Keep us posted about your test results and diagnoses, too!

Carol D.
c_defeciani***@****

Still waiting on results from my stomach CAT and the Transvaginal ultrasound.  I'm really getting tired of all these tests.  The tests and also waiting for test results make me really uptight.  I've had 4 ultrasounds, a colonoscopy, the CAT, and 2 mammograms just in the last 2 1/2 months.  Sorry, I'll stop whining!!

I did notice that my periods are heavier and more painful than usual, especially the last 3 or 4.  The cramps from my periods are really bad and radiate down my legs and my lower back aches. I guess the uterus enlargement must be the reason for that.  I'll soon find out

Did the "runner's stitch" bother you when you worked out this week? I'd love to get back to my running not only for my physical health but especailly for my mental health.  However, I am so afraid that it will cause me more discomfort.

Keep me posted on your workouts and etc.
Hi Diane -

I had an internal (transvaginal) ultrasound yesterday - awaiting the results.  This is my 2nd ultrasound in 3 months, although the first time I've had the internal one.  Will know the results tomorrow - hopefully!

I, too, am tired of the tests. Although I haven't had a colonoscopy (or endoscopy) yet.  Just CAT, ultrasound (2), IVP, KUB xrays, stool tests, blood work, urinalysis (4 or 5 of these).

I think my periods are more painful than usual, too, although not necessarily heavier.  My left leg and hip really hurt and my ribcage on the left was extremely sore once again this month - again if I took a deep breath or laughed or tried to sit up from a reclining position, it really hurt - like I had pulled everythitg or gotten hit by a car on that side.

As for the pain when excercising, back in January, if I moved around just a bit, the jiggling would hurt my side.  But I haven't experienced that when I went to the gym last week or the week before.  In fact, my chiro was surprised the jogging didn't hurt me, because that kind of movement had been so bothersome.  I say if you can start out slowly and go easy on yoruself, exercising again will definitely do your mental health a world of good.  I just felt so inactive and lame because I was paralyzed with the fear of hurting myself even worse. I guess I got tired of that after 3 months of being a couch potato (definitely not my normal mode!)  At the very least, get walking if possible.

Keep in touch -
Carol D.
Hi Carol,

I received the results from my internal transvaginal today--all is normal--the uterus is back to 5-6mm.  Once again, can't attribute the discomfort to woman problems.  I forget your age, but they say you can expect painful, heavy periods around pre-menopause.  I am 44, which I guess is within the pre-menopause age range.  I read though, that if you are in good physical condition, you don't feel the symptoms of pre-menopause as much. Until this "left quadrant" discomfort problem surfaced 2 1/2 months ago, I was in great physical condition!!  However, those pre-menopause symptoms are still very apparent.  

My pain feels just like runner's stitch.  It sometimes feels like I have a gas pocket under the rib and it radiates down to the lower front abdomen.  It is really frustating--isn't it?  I feel like an "old lady" sometimes.

My next game plan is probably the IVP, then maybe some x-rays of the left side.  I'll have to see what the primary thinks.  By now he probably thinks I am a "nut case"!!

Please keep in touch!!
Hiya Diane (and others) -

I got my ultrasound results back yesterday afternoon (external & transvaginal).  Everything normal for me too -- no more hemorhaggic cyst, even.  So, yes, I guess that totally negates the "woman problems" theory once again. FYI  - I'll be 40 this coming September.

I think I mentioned I had the IVP because I had red blood cells showing up in my urine.  After labwork was done on the urinalysis they told me the rbc was at a normal level. The IVP showed everything to be normal too.  I've since read about microhematuria which is the persistence of red blood cells in the urine. In some cases this can be asymptomatic, but it can also be a sign of renal or bladder problems (it can also be due to heavy exercise).  If protein also shows up along with the normal levels of red blood cells, I think they like to do a renal ultrasound and possibly a renal biopsy, but my urine didn't show any protein.  I think it's more common in males over 50 to present with more serious problems (renal or bladder cancer, etc.) associated with microhematuria, but can't rule out that women and people of both genders under 40 can also be afflicted.

I'll be curious how your IVP turns out, but I'd almost bet on it that your results will be normal.

Let us know what you find out, and if you have xrays, let us know about those too. Maybe all of us through our combined efforts can put our heads together to come up with a self-diagnosis.

Carol D.
My CAT showed two things--a gallstone and that dastardly enlarged uterus.  The gallstone does not explain left side pain and the enlarged uterus is back to normal via the transvaginal.  I'm back to square one.  My primary said that the CAT showed that the kidney on the left side is fine.  He is stumped!!  He is figuring possibly a pinched nerve or costochondritis (which I might be mispelling).  My gut feelings tell me know.  So, my bloodwork, ultrasounds, colonoscopy, CAT all fine!!  Now what?  I still have the pain!  IVP is next--it will probably be fine.  Does it show anything different than what a CAT would show?  I read about LGS--what's that?  What is bracing?  What is splenic flexture?  I read about these at another net site.

If there is any new info or suggestions out there, please help!!
Received results from my CAT.  Two insignificant things were discovered--a gallstone and an enlarged uterus.  Both my primary and I believe that the gallstone is not causing my left side pain because of the right side location of the gall bladder.  The enlarged uterus has been eliminated as the problem becuase of the transvaginal showing that it is back to normal size.  My primary seems to be stumped and of course so am I.  He thinks it may be a pinched nerve or costochondritis--my gut feeings tell me no.  He ordered an IVP, but what will that show that a CAT does not?  So far, bloodwork, 4 ultrsounds, CAT, colonoscopy were all fine.  1 1/2 months ago the urine specimen showed a slight kidney infection which I am assuming the antibiotic took care of.  Now what?  The pain is still there!!  

Carol--read you on another web site talking about LGS, bracing and splenic flexture.  Excuse my ignorance, but what are those conditions?  Please inform as soon as possible.  

Diane

Diane

Diane
Pardon the above repeated comments!!!  There was a jam in the system, and my first 3 comments never got processed until the fourth one went through.  So sorry!!

Diane
Hi Diane -

I hear your frustration with more "normal" test results. But at least we know the things they can see show no sign of problems. I'm thankful for that.

The leaky gut syndrome (LGS) is something I learned about through another web site of Dr. Walt Stoll's (http://www.bcn.net/~stoll/). I actually bought his book.  The web site can probably describe things better than I but:

LGS is when the good bacteria that line your intestine get destroyed (antibiotics, etc) and then it can no longer keep harmful bacteria out.  Basically your gut "leaks": it doesn't have a good tight seal against invaders.

I think bracing (according to Dr. Stoll) is sort of like stored up tension in your chest/ribs that often causes pain (and chostochondritis.)

Splenic flexure syndrome is when gas gets regularly trapped in the right angle bend of the large intestine, which is on your left side where it wraps around your spleen.

I have thought all of these 3 might be contributing to my pain, but who knows.  I'm now taking probiotics (acidophilus plus other good bacteria). Also taking a meditation class (Stoll refers to it as skilled relaxation or SR), for the bracing (have also been to a chiro about this). And for the trapped gas I am seeing a CHinese doctor who has prescribed herbs.  I still have the pain but it defintiely has decreased in intensity (occasionally flares up worse but...)  Who knows!?

I would go to the Dr. Stoll website to learn more about these other things becasue I'm afraid I might not have translated the gist of them correctly.

Keep me posted, Diane, and I'll do the same.  I feel like it's a good idea to post to the board here because if one of us stumbles upon an answer, it might be of help to others who look here, as well.  I don't think the doctors here answer many questions on this board; it seems much less active than other boards I've been on, but I check it on a regular basis, so you'll likely continue to see my posts here.

I see another doc tomorrow - maybe he'll have the magic answer??  Hope so -

Carol D.
Hi Carol,

Thanks loads for the explanations of those three conditions.  They are really quite interesting and may be of some help in our attempts to self-diagnosis.  I guess self-diagnosis is better than no diagnosis at all, which is what we are getting from the docs!!  

After reading your explanations, I can honestly say that I feel like I have a combination of splenic flexture syndrome and costochondritis.  I definitely get the trapped gas on the left side and I have such sore ribs, I feel like I went 15 rounds with a prize fighter.  I would have thought, though, that the colonoscopy I had would have cleansed the colon and eliminated the trapped gas permanently?  What do you think?  

After all this addtional information you have supplied me with today, looks like I may be a busy beaver researching it all on the net.  Hope tomorrow is not a demanding day at work so I can do some digging, 'cause "God knows we need to get some answers!!" I'll also be looking into Dr. Stull's book--seems it could be quite helpful.

Thanks for all the "scoop" and PLEASE keep in touch. Of course, I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Diane

Diane -

The way I understand splenic flexure syndrome is that gas gets trapped in that location on a regular basis (for reasons I don't know).  I had thought the same thing as you: after all the stuff they've made me take to empty out my colon (for the IVP -- I didn't have a colonoscopy), I thought anything trapped in there would've been gone; but I think this is more of a regularly occuring event - not the same gas trapped in the same place from 3 months ago.

Now -I'm not entirely sure about my understanding of this. So if you find out anything (like for what reason does gas get stuck there for some people?)  please do tell!

I'm off for a 2nd opinion this afternoon.  I'll let you know...

As always, thanks for posting!

Carol

How did you make out with your quest for a second opinion?  I went for the IVP, and obviously, everything is normal.  My husband & I went for a 3 1/2 mile run on Saturday and did some heavy duty cleaning on Sunday in order to prepare my kitchen for renovations.  After those two days of exertion, my ribs felt like Mike Tyson went to work on them.  Prior to Saturday's workout, I had only been doing a combo of running and walking.  I had been afraid to do anything really exerting for fear of making matters worse.  The ribs aren't painful, they are extremely achey (achy), like a toothache!! I discovered the achey (achy) side to be a little swollen, also.  I contacted my primary about this latest episode, and he suggested another visit with him.  He and I will have our little "get together" on Monday afternoon.  The trapped gas problem doesn't seem to be as chronic lately.  I have been living on about 6 tums per day.  I think they really may be working.  I take one b/f each meal and one after each meal.  I did some research into costochondritis on the net.  My symptoms are quite similar.  

That is the latest scoop on my end.  I'm anxious to find out your
latest info.  Keep me posted!!

Diane
Well - the second opinion vist was somewhat disappointing.

In a nutshell - he thinks I could've had shingles where the virus never erupted to the nerve ending so no evidence on my skin.  Or that I had some kind of "localized mechanical" problem going on that caused some pinched nerve and muscle spasming feelings.  But  now what I was experiencing was a "false sensation."  I was really kind of pissed off by this because I was sitting in his office with the sharp stitch happening right then and there and he sort of blew it off as nothing.  Oh well -- he was a doc hired by the short term disability insurer - not someone of my choice.

Since then I've noticed some pain in my hip and thigh muscle that got worse right around ovulation and my ribs got sore all over again (like your Mike Tyson analogy!) BUT I hadn't done any sort of physical exercise or anything that would've caused it! I still think there might be some kind of hormonal connection in my case, but also that it could be a combination of things.  Still baffled, though.

Thanks for keeping in touch, Diane. Let me know what your doc says this time!

Carol D.
Hi, back again.  Was hoping that last surgery was going to take care of the diverticulitis, but unfortunately I never really got better.  I am still on Darvocet and percocet for pain and the following meds: Bentyl, lomotil, xanac, axcid, imipramine, ambien and celebrex, acidiliopholus, B12, Iron and now the Dr has started me on a 6 month dose of tetracyline for 14 days on and ten days off.  They did another colonoscopy and have now decided to add Crohns Disease, IBS, Colitis and still Diverticulitis (even though they removed all but 8 inches of my colon)as well as a problem with my immune system and fatigue (Ithink they add these things when they really can't figure out what the heck is going on LOL) The colonoscopy still showed diverticuli in the remaining part of my colon.  Most of the pain they still feel is from extensive adhesions.  But, I am still plagued with severe abdominal cramps, constant diareaha, on again and off again low grade fevers and occasional bleeding.  I am to the point with all of the meds that I am on, that there is no way that I feel I can go back to work.... and LOL....our government has kindly denied me disability.  I am getting ready to actually try some holistic healing and it has been suggested by a friend to seek out some Asian healers, they sometimes have more luck than the DRs with controlling pain.  If anyone  has any suggestions on how to cope with this I would really appreciate hearing from them!!  
Ps. Dawn, from my understanding, the only wa y to certify that one has diverticulits is from a gastriograph ennema and sometimes a cat scan can show it but not always....   I HAVE NEVER, EVER heard of a blood teat to determine it..... I would seriously suggest checking into that!!
Thanks,
Trac          ***@****
It is really unbelievable that these doctors are not taking us seriously.  Do you think it is because we are of the female gender?  Bad enough that we have to contend with that archaic behavior in the work environment!!  If you are a woman, and the docs cannot figure out what is wrong with you physically, they assume it is psychological (Hypchondriac) or PMS. It is quite frustating!!

My primary is sending me for a bone scan and another x-ray of the left rib area.  He really thinks it is costochondritis, but he is not sure, thus the x-ray.  

My workouts (running & biking) are not as painful, I must admit. I am increasing my mileage daily in both my running and biking without any major problems. It is definitely helping not only physically but, of course, mentally and emotionally.  The runner's stitch is not as acute.  I think it was trapped gas and it seems like the 8-10 tums per day are keeping that under control, so far!

Tell me your latest, Carol.
Hi Dawn.....Have read your responses in here...be careful with the tums usage....was doing that as well before all of my problems....the thing is, things like Tums only mask the real problem......they make ya feel better for a bit but in the long run you are not fixing anything.  Just makes you temporarily feel better...and unfortunately One can sometimes mask a serious condition by use of these otc drugs.  
As far as the subject of being taken seriously goes, LOL, my DR is a female and I have no doubt that she believes me..it is just that she is at a loss as well....
Hope you are feeling better soon!!
Tracy
***@****
Hi there again -

well - had a visit to a second gastrogenerologist on Tues.  He thinks it could be trapped gas, visceral hypersensitivity (mind keeps telling gut there is pain when nothing is wrong), possibly had shingles without skin eruptions and thus having pain from that (which can last forever), but ultimately, no definitive diagnosis.  He basically told me there are medical mysteries and this is one of them - "lots of people have things that medicine can't explain."  He also said he could do a barium enema - it might show blockages or possibly inflammation that the CT scan didn't show - but he was doubtful. He also suggested prescribing very low dosages of elavil because low levels of antidepressants (lower than whet is prescribed for depression) often help this kind of mind-gut pain (also know as Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain - a relative of IBS without the diarrhea or constipation.)

However - since seeing the specialist doc on Tues, my pain has gotten worse again - it does seem to really feel like gas but started out as sore muscle fdeeling then went to pressure feleling the next day and now feels like the runner's stitch today- I have also been feeling slightly nauseated. Also after a bowel movement (which I most always have first thing (EARLY!) in the morning (6am, sometimes 7am), am tending to feel nauseated - although no D or C. So for awhile the pain subsided somewhat (was tolerable)-- lately it has been much more sore and bothering me a lot more than it had last month. Exercise doesn't seem to make a difference either way - can't tell if what I'm eating does, but as I've said before, I mainly eat vegetarian (lots of fresh steamed vegetables, soy/tofu products, pasta, some chicken (free range no hormones) and fish (usually whatever is local and fresh - since I am here in Boston.)

I really don't want to have to take any kind of medications, nor do I want the barium enema, but I am starting to consider the elavil because my pain has been increasing again.  It really is upsetting to think I was maybe improving and now to feel I've taken a step backward.

Any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks again -

Carol D.
Hi Carol,
I really feel for you!!  Have been through so many tests, (Barium Ennema and /or Gastriograph ennemas were the most painful test I had ever had!!) operations(4 in the last three yrs) and am currently on enough drugs to choak a horse!!  (Xanac, Bentyl, Imipramine, Darvocet, Percocet when needed, Celebrex, Axcid, Ambien and now a dosage of antibiotics again.)
    It seems to be a revolving door...they do surgery, I feel better for a short while, and then slowly, the pain starts increasing and more problems seem to arise.  The other day they added Cohrones Disease (due to my inability to maintain wellness after going though a regimine of antibiotics.....seems like I am off of them for a few days and then i end up getting sick again and usually running low grade temp again) to the IBS, Diverticular Disease and Colitis.  I am beginning to think that these diseases are basically things they call it when they just really can't figure things out.
    As I said the ennema tests are very painful, but as I was told it really is the only way to really find out what is going on...more thourough than cat scan and coloscopy.  I am getting ready to go out and search for another Dr for a second opinion on stuff....am also going to check into holistic healing.........have heard that that may be helpful...mind over matter idea.  LOL....The only thing I do know is when I do have pain it is sincere pain...not something in my head....definitly in my gut.
   On my last visit to the Dr I told her that when it is really painful, I can feel a lump on my left upper quadrant and it feels very much like a runners stitch.  I was told that it is probably gas trapped...unfortunately every time I can feel it I am not at the DRs.  Really don't think it is trapped gas though, cause it doesnt seem like it would be in the same exact place every time....  I am really at a loss of ideas.  I just know I only have 8 inches of colon to left to play with, so i need to be very careful with what i do.
    I wish you all the luck in the world....and if ya come up with any answers to this stuff please feel free to share them....
Tracy
***@****
Hi there Tracy -

Thanks for the support. You sound like you have been through the ringer with this stuff!

So far, the only thing that has been helping me ever so slightly has been meditation. I enrolled in an 8-week "Insight" (also known as vipasana (sp?)) meditation class because I had read elswhere ion the net that skilled relaxation techniques ie. m,ediation have been shown to help the pain in mind-gut related syndromes (like IBS or what CFAP - Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain).  So I defintely recommend the holistic / alternative approach. I think it will take some combnination of therapies to heal this mysterious pain we have.

Don't know if you have read the posts closer to the top of this page but there seem to be a suggestion of enteric coated peppermint capsules for the pain. Also a woman said her Dr. finally determined she might have had a case of shingles at one time with no skin eruptions Apparently her Dr. told her that 15% of shingles cases can present with no skin eruptions. This is what 2 doctors have also hypothesized about my case recently.  The woman from the other posting was prescribed Elavil (50 mg.) and her pain has disappeared.

Hang in there and let us know how you're faring.

Best -

Carol D.
Hi all~~~~

Hope everyone is feeling better.  I went back to the MDS again, lol, now they have added Chrones disease to my list of ailments.  I think that when they just really can't explain things happening they go to that disease.....no cause or cure known for it.
    It has been very benificial to get on here and chat with others that have had similar problems!!  I actually ran into someone tonight that has suffered from these things for the past thirty years....  It is the first time I have ran into anyone on a face to face basis to kind of compare notes.  It was amazing to me that the symptoms, medications and surgeries were all so similar.
    I spoke to a Nutricionist the other day and am attempting to make little changes in diet and stuff (although most of what she said I had already tested and tried......I already knew a lot of my no-nos) LOL  next week I am heading to a new Gastrio guy so will see what transpires.  Keep me up to date if ya all have any answers or suggestions.  
    I will keep ya all in my thoughts and prayers.
Tracy
Hi Guys,

I was hoping that the next time I got on here it would be to finally say, Hey i am feeling better!!!  LOL
No such luck.....  I have some good days, but the bad days are getting worse.  I go back to the Gastrio doc this week in hopes of some answers.  They have me loaded up with pain  meds and antibiotics again...LOL...I swear by the time I am better, they will have to send me to the Betty Ford clinic to get off of all of the pills.
I was wondering if diet has helped any one with these symptoms...I was told to go NO fiber.  Which basically means no veggies (especially raw ones, no nuts, corn....red meat is not a good idea as well.)  So I have done all of the above and behaved quite well, considering my favorite treat is cashews....LOL
Would appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions on foods....
I have been told now that a lot of my onset of pain is triggered by stress.  So I have been working on that as well as taking extra meds for that now as well.  But my attacks of pain are slowly getting stronger and more frequent....  Would really appreciate anyones input on this!! Thanks!!
Tracy
I found this website and I am so relieved! I felt like I was alone until no. Here's my story. It started two months ago. My left side was extremely bloated and I was having pains in my kidney area and the front of my body. I ignored it for 3 days and realized this isn't like me. So I went to the ER. They thought it was kidney stones. They took a CAT Scan of my kidneys, intenstines, liver, stomach, etc. They found two spots that they thought were stones, and they did an internal examine to make sure it wasn't ovarian. So I go to a UROLOGIST several days later and they too give me an internal examine and he looks at the CAT Scan and says, it might be kidney stones, but lets take another pelvic X-RAY. A week passes by I am still in discomfort. I had no appettie, I dropped alot of weight.

The end of the week the UROLOGIST calls me and says, it isn't kidney stones. He seems to think it might be A Cyst in my ovaries. So I go to my GYN and they find nothing. A day passes and I almost faint, so I go back to the ER and they finally take BLOOD WORK. THE RESULTS YOUR FINE. MEANWHILE, MY SYMPTOMS are
burping, feeling like can't breath after eating, bloating, pain swallowing, pain in my stomach area right under LEFT RIBS. I always felt my stomach going crazy inside, but nothing would happen, just pain and discomfort. Meanwhile I wasn't constipated either. So the ER gave me an Antiacid. I feel little better but not much. I go to my regular physican and he gives me PREVICD. I took it, but it didn't feel like it helped.

Next STOP GASTRO....My general doctor recommend someone and he was buzy so I went to someone else (b/c of course I didn't want to wait). The GASTRO I went to is an ***! She says, it is STRESS, you are fine. Meanwhile, I told her my bowel movements have been bright GREEN and soft, etc. I was so upset with this women. She puts me on ANTIDEPERSSENTS! I went on for 3 days and I felt it isn't working. A few weeks pass and I am still having pains, etc.

My regular doctor sees me again and says, "I don't think it is stress, go to the 1st person I recommended."

So I did and I got an UPPER ENDOSCOPY (SCARY). Any way they find out that my stomach is inflammed. They took a test for H Pylori, Check for Tumors or Cancer. Everything came back neg. Which is good, but BAD, b/c I still don't know why I am having these pains. He told me to stop eating choclate, carbonated drinks, acidy foods. So I did. HE told me to eat veggies, but they hurt my stomach with more gas. So I am just eating Chicken and Potatoes for now. And I am starting to not have as much pain in my stomach. I still need to follow up with him. I was 123 and now I weigh 111 and I am 5 2'. I am getting nervous b/c I lost 12 pounds in 2 months.

Has anybody else had these syptoms (symptoms) and know what to do?

If so please email me ***@****

Good Luck to ALL!

If so please email me ***@****

Good Luck to ALL!
Hi All:

I'm pregnant (5 and a half months) and I've had soreness and pain in my left side near ribs for at least six weeks. I can't be x-rayed and I"m waiting for ultrasound. Doctor did find some bacteria growth in urine so I took an antibiotic but the pain returned. Since I don't have fever, she doesn't think its kidney infection but I worry. I don't want to feel like this for the whole pregnancy or to have infection harm the baby.

Any suggestions?
I am just beginning my seventh month of pregnancy.  Approximately 5 weeks ago I began feeling pressure under my left breastbone (in the upper left quadrant).  The discomfort soon felt like something was grabbing my rib and then eventually turned to pain. The pain is constant and worsens if I sit up straight for any amount of time.  I recently had to go on a medical leave of absence from my desk job.  The pain is starting to affect my ability to drive and comfort when I sleep.  My OB/GYN referred me to a Cardiologist where I had an EKG, Echogram, and Holt monitor placed for 24 hours.  I was then referred to a Gastrointerologist who sent me for an ultrasound. All of these tests were negative, and the Doctors are very limited on the tests they can use because of my pregnancy.

I felt the need to research and found some very interesting diseases (considered rare)of the Spleen.  There is a condition called "Acquired" Wandering Spleen which is most common in women ages 20-40 because it can be caused by a relaxation of the ligaments during pregnancy.  The disease can also surface after an injury from an accident.  The symptoms fit perfectly and the description and location of the pain is exact.  I am seeing a high-risk OB tomorrow and I plan on taking all the information I have found.  Perhaps because the disease is considered rare, many doctors are not educated and do not think of it in their diagnosis.  You can find this information on the internet by entering Wandering spleen as the search category.  Good luck to all!
I, too, began having severe stabbing knifelike pain under my left lower rib cage about two months ago. It was so painful I couldn't even touch the area lightly. Three different Doctors, and two emergency rooms diagnosed it as a "muscle strain", and gave me pain pills (which I found out later compounded the problem even more). I knew it was my colon, but not sure what was wrong. Today I finally got the answer: colonic splenic flexure distention. My Gastroenterologist described it as the opposite effect of a P-trap in a sink drain, only instead of water in the bottom of the drain keeping gas from traveling back up the sewer pipe, the gas is in the "top" of a P-trap, with stool keeping the gas from moving. The gas just balloons against the rib cage, and causes pressure and severe pain in the rib cage. The problem is compounded with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS--aggravated by stress), or constipation, or pain killers.....anything that slows the normal bowel movement process. The "cure" is to move everything along, either through adding fiber (i.e. Metamucil, fresh fruit, etc.)or by taking Milk of Magnesia or other laxatives. I still experience intermittent pain, but it is usually now a signal that I'm getting blocked. I suffer with IBS, Diverticulitis and reflux (GERD), and take Prilosec, Propulcid, and Metamucil daily for same. Now Prilosec is being taken off of the market, so will just keep increasing the fiber and drinking water. Good luck!
I have been having the same symptoms as many of you - ulq pain that radiates to my back - much worse after eating ESPECIALLY if I eat too much!  I have had ultrasounds of pancreas, gallbladder, liver, etc. showing nothing.  Had sigmoidoscopy (painful experience!) with biopsy - showed nothing.  Had several EKG's - perfectly normal.  Upper GI showed Reflux and they are attributing the pain to that - BULL!  It's clear down under my ribs and is very different from heartburn!  I have found one thing that seems to improve it, Yoga.  This stumped me at first because the pain is nothing like a muscular pain.  My naturalist says that yoga is very good for repositioning internal organs - so maybe that has something to do with it.  Being that I am not disciplined I have not been doing the yoga regularly.  Only use it when I need it.  But it does seem to work.  I only do 10-15 minutes of it and see a difference.  If anyone would want to give it a try, I would be interested in hearing if it helps you too.

Good luck!

I too have suffered from this dasterdly Upper Left Quadrant Pain.  However, I am feeling about 90% better than I have before.  

I am a 45 year old female.  I weigh about 109 and I am in pretty descent physical shape.  My problems began this past December 1999, right after Christmas.  My husband and I are avid runners, so I thought it was due to over-exertion.  The pain would begin under the left rib cage and radiate both up to the left flank and down to the left groin.  I had a slight fever every so ofter(no more than 100).  The pain seemed to be worse when I ran.  I could not stand the pain anymore, so I contacted my primary.  He said that the symptoms sounded like a kidney infection, and he put me on an antiobiotic for a week.  Perhaps I had a slight kidney infection, but I really did not feel much better after taking the antibiotic.  My primary sent me for every test you could think of in order to determine what I might have--x-rays, bone scans, a colonoscopy, and cat scans.  Even my Gyn got involved, thinking it might be ovary or uterine related.  The Gyn also sent me for several female tests.   Every test I went for put me into an emotional hole until results came back showing nothing was wrong.  The colonoscopy almost put me over the edge.  Knowing that my Dad died of colon cancer, and that I  have had IBS since my college years, I was convinced that I had colon cancer.  The results came back negative for that, thank GOD!!  It was also frustating, though, not knowing what the problem was. I discontinued my running, assuming the pain might have been due to over exertion.  Discontinuing my workouts, however, did not help my emotional or mental health out at all, but I did what I thought I should do.

My Mom suggested that I try taking tums before and after each meal that perhaps I have trapped gas.  I did that and it seemed to alleviate some of the pain.  My primary did a few more tests and concluded that I have Costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilidge between the ribs) and colonic splenic flexture distention (trapped gas in the colon on the left side of the body where the colon makes a turn under the rib cage--thus pushing up against the ribs and causing pain and discomfort).

I am feeling much better now.  I have continued my workouts, but instead of just running, I now cross-train--run, bike and some light weight lifting.  When I get the pain, it is usually very mild and goes away quickly just by me taking the tums more often and by increasing my intake of roughage (broccoli and salads made with romaine lettuce).  I also drink much more water than I used to and started drinking cranberry juice too.  

Just thought I would share my experience with you.  Hope it helps.  Keep in touch!!
i also have had this pain and have had cat  scans and still nothing. if any one knows what to do ill try anything im ready to just cut myself open to find out whats rong
yeah guys see exactly where you are coming from.
I was very sick in London after eating a "dodgy" beef meal, & my stools where heavily laden with blood.
After getting over the sickness that was defined as gastroenterietis, I have had pains in my luq on & off roaming arround the area for about 4 yrs, docs dont seem overly concerned with it, but stools etc have never been right since the sickness, a general feeling of tiredness often accompanies the pains & dull aches.. had all the tests & not getting any answers......
seems like we can only deal with it & get on with life, I tend to get the worst pains pre meals, yet after this experience bloating & frequent bowel movement ....

be well..
I have been having left upper qudrant pain also very bloated.
Loose bowels. etc taking Axid not helping. comments please
Oh my Stars!  I can't believe I found a web site where people suffer from the same symptoms of Left Upper quadrant pain.  I too have been through all of the gross and disgusting tests that all came back normal.  It desperately affects my life and stops me in my tracks.  I was sent to a pain specialist who put me on all of these strong narcotics that snowed me to the point that I couldn't work effectively so I stopped taking them.  I felt that they didn't help that much, snowed me, and why should I take such strong narcotics everyday for a pain that I wasn't having every day?  Go figure.  I have lupus which alot of Dr.'s use as a dumping ground diagnosis, and the last thing my Gastro doc said in regards to the pain is that it could just be related to my lupus, as if to excuse himself from having to truely find out what is causing the debilitating pain.  Thank you to each one of you who have posted here for sharing your intimate stories.  I feel as if each of you have already personally written a portion of my own story.  Not a fun journey, but at least we have each other to discuss it with, as family and other friends could care less about our bowel habits and our disgusting and painful barium enemas.  God Bless Each one of you, and someday, hopefully we'll have a diagnosis and most of all a cure from this mysterious pain in our sides.
I am happy that I am not alone. I have had this for 7 years, I am seeing a new rhuemotologist next week. I think My own thoughts that I might have gotten shingles 7 years ago when my kids had chicken pox and it destroyed the nerves in my back and chest. I did not have the rash but I hear 15% of people get no rash. Anyone ever hear of this before?

If you want email me at ***@****

Have a nice day
WOW!  As many of you I was told the same lies by the Dr.!  I went to 3 or 4 different Dr.s the first one said I pulled a muscle and put me on pain killers.  The second Dr. told me I pulled a muscle/pain killers.  The third did some blood work and the fourth did just about every test ya'll mentioned and everything came back normal.  Well I doubt this kind of pain is NORMAL!!!!   I am 22 and I have had it off and on for about a year and a half in my left side.  And no one can figure out what it is.  They told me to keep a diary of like the foods I ate and when I went to the bathroom and when I felt the actual pains etc.  But I guess that didn't help to much either.  I am a little scared after reading that some of you have had this for MANY years!  Scary!  I to don't like going to the Dr. much and even more so when they can't even figure out what's wrong.  So many trips to the Dr.  and the insurance doesn't cover EVERYTHING!!!!  I can't believe all of us could have this pain and no one knows what it is??  Crazy!  Thanks for sharing!  Hope everyone feels better!
A related discussion, Pain after gallbladder surgery was started.
A related discussion, fatty liver was started.
Was wondering if any of y'all got any answers?  I have this same problem since I had my first son by C Section...also sharp stabbing groin pains.  Please let me kknow.  Thanks.
A related discussion, Same upper left quadrant pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain in left upper quadrant was started.
I havd been Dealing with pain in left side for years when I started juicing! Get a jack Elaine juicer grab your beets carrots celery cucumbers and drink!!!! Put away all sugar, sodas, and garbage and clear out of house. That means no cookies either. Begin slow by juicing a cucumber a day with One or two beets don't forget the roots and leaves!!! Mix veer juice with celery and carrot and cucumber, beets kill cancer so go slow. Add fruits and other veggies, don't mix fruits and veg, and slowly you will get better. I eliminated all red meats.  Eat fish chicken and never fried foods.   After a month of eating mostly juice, raw veggies, chicken fish and juice you should begin to purge all toxins. Lots of info on net for juicing. My entire family juices now and it's family fun!!!  We also got a wheat grass juicer and this stuff will aid in your healing like crazy. Also buy a parazapper by Hilda clarke online or do parasite cleanse. Online info avalable for how to. Parasites cause many problems so it's important to do thus. At first juicing brings on symptoms sometimes like fever blisters which can be viruses hidden in nerve tissue. Grap DMSO from nutrition store place a dot on middle of sore it kills it. I am not a dr but study nutrition after being sick my whole life. Email 'me' at ***@**** if you have any questions I'll help the best I can!  Also it's good to drink 6 -8 distilled glasses water a day.
Begin juicing beets And carrots first day I would start out one beet And three or four carrots. Then slowly add to that. Beets are very strong don't juice just beets and drink a whole bunch they are powerful and canals you quite ill.  Take it slow and read up on juicing. It's a lifestyle for people who are tired of being in pain. Or just I'll all the time. People say they don't have time it takes a few minutes a day and puts years back into your life. Please do organic veggies if possible. Wash everything really well. I am pain free now after three weeks of juicing I still get suk if I eat crap food because my body dislikes junk. Think of your body as a farari! It takes the best grade of fuel to operate! Junk builds up parasites infla
E organs and gallstones hurt and cause illnesses like colds etc.... Juicing eliminates hidden toxins parasites and cucumber for example gives you great skin . You must clean out the inside organs to get the outside organ or skin to be healthy and supple. Read Suzanne summers books if you really want to learn nutrition and health and have A healthylife!!!  
A related discussion, Sharp Pain Under Left Breast & In Left Breast was started.
A related discussion, Upper left quadrant pain was started.
I have read a lot of these post and all of you seem to be having difficulty similar to me. Anyone is welcome to email me personally if you feel symptoms like mine. I'm at a total loss as to where to go, what to do next. ***@****
Approximately four years ago, I started waking up at night on my left side with a pain under my left rib cage toward my sternum and thru to my back. When I'd roll over, it would feel like a foot is asleep and waking up. When that would happen, it would bother me for days sometimes accompanied by burning for hours, days even and sometimes I'd have shortness of breath. No combination of diet, IBS medicine, antacids, bentyl, nothing, NOTHING helps. I've had a negative EGD, Colonoscopy and negative CT's and MRI's. I've been to my GP more in the last four years more than I've ever been to the doctor in my whole life, I've seen the Gastro doctor and a neurologist. The only time I seemed to get help was from diathermy which is a heat treatment but even that didn't fix it but seemed to provide some relief. One time the pain hit so bad I thought I was going to climb the wall it was as bad as passing a kidney stone or childbirth. It seemed like it could be bowel but not really. Now I've had at least 6 or7 of these episodes as I call them, they come on really hard but only last 3-15 minutes but it gets almost unbearable then I feel bad for days even weeks. Just posting because I see here I'm not alone and yes, I was flat out told it was all in my head!  Thanks for reading and praying for us all!!
A related discussion, for Hope was started.
A related discussion, pain was started.
A related discussion, Upper Left quad pain was started.
A related discussion, Upper Left Quadrant Pain below left breast was started.