Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Left Abdomen Discomfort

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper Left Abdomen Discomfort

Hello, I woke up 5-6 days ago with a dull pain in my upper left abdomen area, almost underneath the last ribs. The pain has not gone away since - it has not increased or decreased. It is constant however. Sometimes it almost feels like cramping. Sore to touch.

My appetite is fine. I feel fine. My bowel movements are much smaller, darker and more difficult than normal. I normally have excellent bowels. I feel a little gassy and bloated in the upper abdomen - which is kind of unusual for me. The pain does not change regardless of how much or what I eat.

I am 36, male, not physically fit, but not overweight either. It was not an injury sports related or a sharp blow.

Because it was so persistent, and unusual for me I went to a clinic. The doctor said he was a little concerned but that 30% of these sorts of pains are nothing, and generally go undiagnosed. He said the area would be the colon or the spleen, but the fact that the pain does not change regardless of what I eat made him question the colon somewhat.

I did an ultrasound and blood work but the results are not back yet.

Think it may have just been something I ate and the bowels are a little clogged? The symptoms are similar to colon cancer from what I read but I am sure there are many possibilities.

Various causes of the upper GI disease can lead to your symptoms.  This can include inflammation of the upper digestive tract, ulcers, or GERD.  I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy to evaluate these possibilities.  Blood tests can be considered to look for the bacteria H Pylori - which can be associated with these diseases.

The ultrasound would appropriately evaluate the liver and gallbladder as potential causes.

If the spleen is considered as a potential cause, a CT scan of the abdomen can be considered.  The CT scan can also evaluate for any suspicion of bowel obstruction.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I have had the same pain off and on now.   Prylosec seams to help, but my doctor is havinf me have a gastroscopy done to confirm any problems.  I was just curious, what was your outcome with you upper left pain?
It has been a few months since you posted this--did you ever get this resolved?
I have same problem too,a senstation on left lower abdomen, i cant sleepat nights, its not painful but uneasiness.I am 30yrs old with no problems, i have a docappointment today, let see hwta happens