Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Left Abdomen Discomfort
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Upper Left Abdomen Discomfort

Hello, I woke up 5-6 days ago with a dull pain in my upper left abdomen area, almost underneath the last ribs. The pain has not gone away since - it has not increased or decreased. It is constant however. Sometimes it almost feels like cramping. Sore to touch.

My appetite is fine. I feel fine. My bowel movements are much smaller, darker and more difficult than normal. I normally have excellent bowels. I feel a little gassy and bloated in the upper abdomen - which is kind of unusual for me. The pain does not change regardless of how much or what I eat.

I am 36, male, not physically fit, but not overweight either. It was not an injury sports related or a sharp blow.

Because it was so persistent, and unusual for me I went to a clinic. The doctor said he was a little concerned but that 30% of these sorts of pains are nothing, and generally go undiagnosed. He said the area would be the colon or the spleen, but the fact that the pain does not change regardless of what I eat made him question the colon somewhat.

I did an ultrasound and blood work but the results are not back yet.

Think it may have just been something I ate and the bowels are a little clogged? The symptoms are similar to colon cancer from what I read but I am sure there are many possibilities.