Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Left Abdominal Pain, Violent Diarrhea, Missed periods

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dear Doctor,
I am a 33 year old non smoking female who had her gallbladder moved about nine months ago.

I became seriously ill this summer with severe cramping of the upper stomach on both sides, violent diarrhea, vomiting - stomach cramping so violent, I went to a hospital and was put on morphine. They told me I had a stomach virus and discharged me without further tests. Stool samples for parasites, etc were normal.  I haven't felt well since then. I have a pain on my upper left side under my ribs that aches in a burning manner, then becomes severe I have to double over. I have violent diarrhea almost immediately after eating - even though I avoid dairy and other things that do not sit well.

Other symptoms:
Blood in urine, trace to +1 for past 12 months on every test
Missed period for four months, not pregnant
Nausea
Fatigue
Night sweats
Joint Pain (hips, ankles, wrists)
frequent urination, especially at night
Bloating
Orange mucusy stools, foul smelling.

I am having an IVP for frequent urination and back pain.. but I believe this may be unrelated. However, my doctors seem to not take my complaints seriously. They don't think my missed menstruation is an issue. I do have high blood pressure and take Procardia XL every other day. I just stopped taking Desogen birth control. I take some anti-spasmodic for cramps that my doctor gave me after I was ill this summer that help occasionally.

Can you help?
just a wild guess, but ask them to check your amalyse and lipase levels.  I have chronic pancreatitis and your symptoms sound like some that I have.  It never hurts to look at all avenues.  I developed chronic pancreatitis after having my gallbladder removed and discovered I have retained stones stuck in my bile ducts.  Like you, I went through the pains and had an ivp done which returned back normal results.  I was sure with the pain I had in that area it would show kidney problems.  But it turned out to be my pancreas.  Good luck to you.
TazLady
I second Tazlady's advise about having your amylase and lipase levels checked.  I, too have chronic pancreatitis and suffered from all the same symptoms that you listed.  It won't hurt to check just to be sure.  Good luck.
Nanny
I see that you addressed your letter to DEAR DR. be advised that this site is never reviewed by a dr. only other patients and people like yourself who may have the same problems. Good luck
A related discussion, UPPER LEFT SIDE PAIN was started.