Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Stomach Pain,Nausea & Burning of the Stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My wife has a serious stomach issue that no one can explain what's wrong with her. She was a very healthy woman where she could eat almost about anything, but from one day to another her pain just started. I am so sick of going to all the GI offices and the hospital who keep telling us that nothing is wrong with her and that she has a small Hiatal Hernia that has nothing to do with her burning sensation and her stabbing right above the stomach and her nausea.  A couple of days ago my wife was admited to the hospital for burning stomach and nausea and sure enough they found nothing.They ran all kinds of exams on her; they did a CAT scan which showed no result but everything being pefect per the Dr., they ran an ultrasound which showed a normal Gall Bladder, they ran a Hida Scan which shows Gal Bladder function and hers was perfect with no stones, then they did a Colonoscopy which they found nothing but a polyp which they removed, they did an endoscopy which showed no result of any sort but the Hiatal Hernia.  So they put my wife on Protonix, Levaquin, and Zofran while she was in the hospital. After the dr ran all the exams and sent all the results to the lab they got negative results and the Dr. said that everything was fine and they released her and sent her home with some prescriptions. Before she even went to the hospital she was being seen by a GI dr in California that ran some exams on her one being an endoscopy and got the same result as from the hospital, but this Dr from california put her on Aciphex which in my opinion made her even worse. The Dr. in Arizona Aciphex should be working. My wife has been taking Aciphex for 1yr and a half and it was not doing anything for her, if anything her condition was getting worse. So thats when we went to the hospital and they ran all the exams on my wife, and we are back to square one once again where no one can tell us what's wrong.I am writing this forum get a lead or guide to a better path to getting her healthy
I agree with the workup thus far, and it has been comprehensive.  

Major medical diseases would have been excluded with the tests done thus far.  At this time, more specialized tests can be considered   This can include a 24-hr pH study to quantify the severity of the GERD, as well as a gastric emptying scan to exclude gastroparesis.  

I would also consider malabsorption at this time, with a blood test to evaluate for celiac disease.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a GI physician at a major academic medical center.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
KevinMD.com
I have been so discouraged about drs' not being able to tell me what is causing the RUQ pain. I've had several U/S's, labs are for the most part WNL: LFT's, amylase, bili levels.....but CRP was 48, with elevated neutriphils this last visit. I had a CT scan that showed some swollen nyph nodes. I'm 52 and have had H Pylori couple of yrs ago diagnosed by endoscopy and was treated with regime antibiotics and variety of other meds. This RUQ pain is always right over where my gallbladder is but they never see stones. The latest meds I have is gasx and dicyclomine. Idon't know what is wrong with me but can't stand anymore pain...which if not severe is still there but dull pain and annoying. Any thoughts about this that are different than what other docs have been thinking? V. Charles
I HAVE HERTIAL HERNIA PLEASE SOMEBODY HAS DONE SURGERY