Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper Stomach Pain after eating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper Stomach Pain after eating

I have been experiencing some pain in my upper stomach immediately after eating for about six weeks now.
I am male, white and 65 years old.  I am diabetic and have been taking metformin, crestor and altace for several years with no ill effects.  The pain occurs about 15 to 30 seconds after ingesting food or drink.  Fresh fruit and salads seem to cause more intense pain. Antacids do not in any way alleviate the problem.
This pain is not at all like acid indigestion or heartburn.  It is somewhat sharp and centered in my chest and sometimes radiates into my back and sides.The pain usually goes away in a few minutes and I have no problem with heavy meals or fatty foods.
If I have a bottle of beer or glass of wine with a meal it can trigger an episode where the pain is more intense and lasts as long as 36 hours.I have no difficulty swallowing, I am not constipated, no blood in stool, no loss of appetite, no fever and no nausea. My doctor, without much investigation, put me on Pantoloc.  I have looked into the symptoms of Hiatal Hernia, Ulcers, Gastritis, Gallstones and Pancreatitis etc. and while there are some common threads, none of these seem to be the problem.
I would like your opinion as to what some possible conditions are that can cause these unique symptoms.
Thank you for any help you can provide.  I also invite others who may have experienced similar symptoms to respond.
Various types of upper GI conditions can lead to the symptoms.  Although not classic, I still would consider the conditions you mentioned - such as ulcers, gastritis etc.  

An upper endoscopy is recommended to rule these possibilities out, as well as the possibility of cancer.  

If the test is negative, imaging can be considered with an ultrasound or CT scan.  More specialized tests like a 24-hr pH study or gastric emptying scan can also be considered as well.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
There are many problems that can start out with those symptoms. Don't be too quick to rule out the conditions you listed.  A GI doc will begin eliminating conditions or locating the problem by testing.  Sometimes it can take many tests before you get an answer. You can help by keeping a journal of when this occurs and any and all food, drink and over the counter meds taken as well.  Here's to getting well soon!
have they did an ultrasound to check gallbladder or a HIDA scan to check the function of the GB?  also get an EKG to check your heart to rule this out. i had all these tests done. and they finally found out my GB is not functioning right only at 8%, i have these symptoms as well, upper ab pain, chest pain, back pain, burping, hiccups etc. check your GB
I have been having the same symptoms only I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago. Anything containing asprin or alcohol or even cinnamon sends severe pain in my upper abb. My Dr. confirmed that I had a small hiatal hernia but that it wouldn't be causing that much pain and put me on Nexium and that helped for a few years. Now it's worse than ever and if I eat anything it hurts. About a year ago I was laying over the side of a bathtub and it felt like I tore something,could it be that the H.H has grown. I feal like I'm full all the time