Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper abdominal pain

Posted By Jamie on June 27, 1999 at 10:52:27
I am a 22 year old female and over the past month I started getting some strange symptoms.  First of all I had nausea for about 2 weeks sometime with vomiting.  Twice during that time I had a low grade fever.  I went to the doctor and they gave me a prevacaid.  I since ran out of the sample that they gave me.  I have also been having a lot of heartburn...sometimes it is horribly painful in my back (the heartburn).  I have also recently noticed pain in my upper abdomine.  The pain is right below my rib cage (both sides, left and right).  And an occasional pain right between the rib cage.  Yesterday I tried to take a nap and every time I layed down on my side either right or left, it made the pain a lot worse on the right side.  The pain comes and goes and may last a minute or two at a time.  My doctor gave me a blood test and that ruled out pancreitis and gallbladder disease.  Does that also rule out gallstones, because that is what my doctor suspected at first.  Also when I drink alcohol it makes me real nauseous.  I had an upper GI done and won't get those results back until later in the week.  The doctor ordered the upper gi because she thought I may have an ulcer.  They also took three more viles of blood from me, I don't know what for.  I am worried because I have never had heartburn before and the pain which at first came about once a day has now increased to about once every two hours or more.  It is right below my rib cage on the left, the middle, and the right.  The pain doesn't all come at the areas at the same time.  Sometimes it is just the right, then the left, and so forth.  But the right side always hurts the worst when I do get pain.  Hopefully you can give me a little understanding of what might be happening to me.  At least I will have something to go on the next time I go see my Doctor.
Thank you very much.
Jamie

Follow Ups:

Re: Upper abdominal pain Tracy 7/17/1999
(0)

Re: Upper abdominal pain HVMA GASTRO MD - FWR 7/01/1999
(2)

Upper abdominal pain deborah B. 7/08/1999
(0)

Upper abdominal pain Jamie 7/02/1999
(0)

Re: Upper abdominal pain Shelley 6/29/1999
(1)

Upper abdominal pain kristin 6/30/1999
(0)

Re: Upper abdominal pain Matt 6/28/1999
(2)

Upper abdominal pain lu 6/29/1999
(1)

Re: Upper abdominal pain kris 8/14/1999
(0)