Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper abdominal spasms?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper abdominal spasms?

I found this site after coming home from spending another day in the er! Symptoms were upper abdominal spasming that started on friday. They increased after trying to eat and I just felt "bad".I didn't eat the rest of the day and went to bed early. Woke up Saturday to get ready for work and pretty much knew I was heading for the er. I would break out in sweats. I was still having the spasms and I was having some diarhea (diarrhea) and just felt bad. I HAD to go to work first to get the store open, but was able to leave about an hour later to head for the er.
They did all the blood workup, gave me the gi cocktail (ugh, and that managed to come out about 5 minutes later)and gave me some dilaudin for the pain and something to put under my tongue for the spasms. All the blood work came back in all the normal ranges so I got sent home with some meds for spasms and percocet for pain. Since I hadn't eaten since friday morning, I wasn't really hungry but wanted something like broth. So I made a cup of soup and drank the broth. Within 5 minutes I was in the bathroom with diarhea (diarrhea) (just like with the gi cocktail). Woke up Sunday morning starting to get ready for work and knew I was going back to the er again. Same symptoms but a little worse. Plus now I would break out in sweats or I would have chills. Basically it was a repeat of saturday. All blood work and heart work came back ok. So, I got kicked out again and told to follow up with my gastro. I do have a hiatal hernia and I do have GERD.When my attacks first started, I thought I was having a heart attack. They are extremely painful right in the center of my chest. Those attacks started about 10 years ago.I was on Prilosec for awhile and also Propulsid. Now I am just on Prevacid.The attacks that I describe in the beginning of the letter have just started this weekend.Since this all started, I really don't even want to eat!
I apologize for the length of this. Its kind of nice to know that there are others out there and that you're not alone. If anyone has any feedback or actual experience with something like this, feel free to respond. Thank you.
hello!

I myself just came back from the ER last night, I was given the great Gi coktail as well, and an ultrasound.... they said it was gastritus..the doc on call, was very rude and made me feel like my pains were insignificant, I have pains in my back mostly and am very weak and tired, you know not feeling like eating, i wasn't able to take the medicine because I am still nursing my baby....... I think that there should be more things they can do for this thing......There is no reason, with all the pharmacuetical drugs and testing that can be done.  Well hope you feel better, : )