Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper left mild stomach pain and gas for 10 days now...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

For the past 10 days or so I have had pain only on my left abdominal side.  It is mainly beneath my rib cage and maybe about 3 inches to the left of my navel. The pain is not severe; on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 1 or 2 at the highest; although once and awhile, there are small sharp pains too. It does not wake me up at night and does not change based on when I eat or don't eat or what I eat. I have the same appetite I had before this started...Aside from the pain, I have more gas than normal that, when expelled (not by burping) sometimes relieves some of the pain, but sometimes it doesn't.  I also have more stomach noises, and bowel movements that are not diarrhea, but somewhat loose.  They are softer than normal, lighter than normal on occassion, and sometimes look like what I have eaten has not fully been digested.  I don't have nausea, haven't vomitted, haven't lost weight, don't have a fever, and haven't made any changes in my diet.  I am a 35-year-old female, and I don't drink, don't smoke, and I weigh about 125.  Aside from the nagging pain, I feel fine, but the pain is ALL I think about.  I have a past history of anxiety (for the past 7 years or so).  My family does not have a history of any type of digestive disorder or cancer.

I guess I'm waiting for this to "take care of itself," hoping that it's just a simple "bug" or something, but the duration of the pain is making me think it's something worse.  

Could you please give me your expert opinion on what this may be and what I can expect when I visit my doctor.  

Thanks very much and thanks for this web site.
Possible things to consider would be the various causes of dyspepsia (GERD, ulcers or inflammation of the upper digestive tract), pancreatitis, gastroenteritis, irritable bowel disease, or atypical gallbladder symptoms (although this would present with more right sided pain).  

Tests to consider would be an upper GI series as well as tests to evaluate for pancreatitis.  A more thorough test would be an upper endoscopy, which can evaluate for inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  

If the tests continue to be negative, you can consider an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate to liver and gallbladder.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I have very similar symptoms as you for the last day or so....my left ribcage...just below the heart...I thought it was a heart problem and am worried.  It kind of feels like gas I guess.  I also have been having fatigue off and on.  I have been seeing a counselor for a possible anxiety or workaholic problem.  Do you think it is all related?

The doc at my college health center considered heartburn, heart irregularity, or anxiety as possible causes.  We are letting it go for now.  Do you have suggestions?

Let me know if you have found relief.
Hi, I've had similar symptoms since the 6th of October. I first thought I was pregnant as the nausea felt similar to the same symptoms I had with my first pregnancy.  Of course the home test came out Negative. I took a helibactor breath test and it came out negative.  I went to a specialist today and he said it was stress.  We decided to leave it for 4-6 weeks and see if it goes.  If it doesn't he will have a look with a camera down the hatch in day surgery.  He told me to take time out for myself (hard when you have a 3 year old and no-one to help look after her) and that some things are worrying me.  I did have trauma, depression and anxiety in the past and a recent problem with a neighbour as well as a few other stressful situations. I was upset because I thought I was coping well.   I hope this goes away because I have constant burning, nausea and movement in my tummy. I also have a feeling of fullness up to my throat.  It also feels like I got a little air bump in my stomach. I have fluctuated in weight between 53-58kg. I was worried but I can understand this guy sees this stuff all the time.  I just hoped it was something that was easy to fix.  Stress isn't so easy to fix at this time.  Anyway I hope this helps.  I wish the doctor told me it was this before I spent the $ to find out from a specialist.  I guess thats why he is the specialist. I must say it is so helpful to read these forums. It helps me to understand and have peace of mind.  Thanks, TummyTime