Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper right pain
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Upper right pain

Since my gallbladder removal 12 yrs. ago I have had some occasional pain in that area, but nothing intolerable. However, for the past 6 mos. I have had extreme pain under my ribs on the right side extending from the lower ribs almost to my sternum. I also have a protrusion (lump) on the right which is close to my sternum & quite painful. When lying down for examination my right quadrant is very very tender. I have had the following with negative results: endoscopy, CT with contrast & barium. My routine blood work monitors my hypothyroidism, high triglycerides & elevated cholesterol, but nothing to explain the pain has been noted. Following the procedures, it has been suggested that I explore pain management treatment. I am 62, have had surgery on 4 ruptured disks in my back & handle pain quite well, but his pain (soreness) is a daily occurance. It often presents as sharp knife-like or needle-like stabs and affects the quality of my life. I am 5'7, weighing 145. I am active and not overweight. I know something is wrong. Could it be adhesions? Where should I go now for answers?