Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper right quadrant pain, change in stool consistency..Colon?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to read and/or answer. I am a 36 year old female, who is about 100 lbs over weight. My diet is high in fat, low in fiber. For about the last two years I have had my stools go from sold to completely soft (i.e. no form, like oatmeal, sorry to be so graphic).I have no other symptoms except occasional IBS (always stress related). Also, I have had for a few years pain in my upper right quadrant, just below the rib cage and to the side. (liver area). I have been to see a dr who specializes in colonoscopy. He palpated the area, and I told him it hurt, he said that my liver was slightly enlarged (I had mono at 18) and that the pain was most likely from an inflamation (inflammation) of the cartelidge in the rib cage itself...
Since that time I still have the pain, it is worse if I drink too much. I drink mostly 1-2 glasses of wine every night. I do occasionally have hard well formed normal looking stools( never thin),mostly when I change my diet, like going on a diet and not eating as much fat, or carbs.
My dr ordered a u/s which showed nothing in the gall bladder and nothing else remarkable. I do sometimes get red blood in my stools, but it is always associated directly with hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), which I have had since having twins.
I have no family history of colon cancer, but am concerned as to what this may be..if it is just an inflamation (inflammation) as my dr seems to think, shouldnt it go away?
Also, all my blood test (full panel) came back normal. Thank so much for taking the time to answer.
Regarding the right upper quadrant pain, you may want to consider a test for gallbladder function.  This is usually tested by a HIDA scan with CCK stimulation - if low, then consideration should be made about removing the gallbladder.

In addition, you could consider an upper endoscopy - which could evaluate for things like an ulcer or inflammation - that can also cause your symptoms.  

The best test to evaluate the blood in stools as well as the change in bowel habits would be a colonoscopy.  This can ensure nothing like cancer or inflammatory bowel disease are causing your symptoms.

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
I have pain on my right side just below my last rib It gets better after I eat something. I dont know what I have? I dont if its my colon or my gall bladder?