Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper right side abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper right side abdominal pain

Recently I had pain in my upper right abdominal , As per the doctor I was gone through CT Abdominal/Pelvis with contrast. their findings as follows.
The lung bases are clear. There is small peripheral hypodensity in the right lobe of the liver. this appears to fill in on delayed images. The liver is otherwise unremarkable. Speen,Pancrease and adrenal glands appear normal . There is a horseshoe kidney , but no focal renal abnormality is demonstrated. The gallblader (gallbladder) and bile ducts are grossly unremarkable, although ultrasound would be better for evaluating for gallstones.The bowels and bladder are grossly unremerakable. there is no free fluid or lymphadenopathy.
Then I did ultrasound and their findings as follows.
The liver appears normal in size .In the periphery of the right lobe there is a 1.7cm X 1.7cm X 1.8cm uniformly hyperechic mass which correlates with the peripheral hypodense lesion seen on CT. It's echogenicity is most characteristic for benign hemangioma. No other focal liver abnormalities are demostrated . the gallbladder and bile ducts are normal. Visualized portions of the pencreas are unremarkable and aorta is normal in caliber. the right kidney shows no hydronephrosis.
Suggestion was to follow up ultrasound in 4-6 months is recommended to isure stability and normal gallblader (gallbladder) and bile ducts.
I not sure if I saw a specific question here.

In any case, most instances of hemangioma can be observed.  There are cases where large hemangiomas or hemangiomas that cause pain where surgery can be considered to remove the lesion.  

The recommended course of action (followup in 4-6 months to ensure the lesion isn't growing) sounds reasonable.

This can be discussed with your personal physician or gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I am having pain in upper right side abdominal , but it is not very severe. I am taking Protonix and PANOKASE-16 and vit D tablets.
I am 52 years old and have had no health problems. But for the past year I have a constant dull ache in my upper right side of my stomach under my rib cage.  The doctor told me it was a condition known as costochondritis and has me taking Celebrex as needed.  But I don't really feel that this is the problem.  I've had all the tests done, upper and Lower scopes, cat scan of liver which shows I have a cyst but he says that's a normal thing with age)  My blood test showed a higher than normal count (relating to the liver) but he said it wasn't that high and could have been related to something I ate.  

It appears, at times, that my stomach on that side is a little higher then the other side.  

I'm going today for another blood test (at my request) to see if it comes out any different.  
I am someone over weight for my size, could that cause problems with my liver?  I also have a Hiatal hernia but no real problems with that except for heart burn.
thank you
Marilene
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
A related discussion, upper right side pain was started.