Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Vague abdominal pain - I think I'm dying like my father did

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 31 year old white male.  I have always been very healthy.  My father who was 62 was diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma in July 2002 and after 3 months of watching him go from a healthly (or so we thought) vibrant man to a skeleton he passed away in November 2003.  So it was a traumatic, stressful, devastating process for me and my mom who took care of him the whole time.

So, I have always been healthy, jogged a lot, worked out etc. I stopped exercising while he was sick and in the months thereafter.
Ever since he got sick every little pain I get I think I have what he had or some other fatal illness, cancer mostly.  In December I had severe back pain from shoveling all the snow we had this winter.  The pain wrapped around to the lower right groin area.  I thought I had a hernia, went to the ER they said no.  The next day I went to the Chiropractor and he did his thing and the pain was gone.  

So then in February I started jogging again (in the very cold NY weather) and after 2 weeks I thought I was coughing up blood, I had a bad cough, broncitis like symptons.  My Dr. gave me Levaquin for the infection and Allegra for some allergies.  The infection seemed to go away but it still felt like i had a lump in my throat.  I also had a pain in my back, it felt like it was in my lung.  He said it was just a strain, my job requires me to lift lots of heavy stuff.

The pain in my lower right groin and lower back came back, went to the chiropractor and it didnt go away this time.  At this point I think I'm dying, of stomach cancer, mesothelioma, who knows.  I went back to my Dr. had a chest x-ray blood work, ekg....it all came back fine.  In the meanwhile I got severe back pain, my whole back was in knots.  I read Allegra can cause back pain as well.

My Dr. gave me 12.5 CR Paxil for my anxiety, and butilbital for my back pain, which he said was from stress. The week I waited for my results was the worst of my life, very nervous.  The back pain seemed to go away with the Butalbital, the Paxil seemed to help the aniexty.

After 2 weeks of Paxil the anxiety is seeming to get a little better, my lower back still hurts, it still wraps around to my lower right front of my belly.  My right hip also aches as well, feels like it out of socket or something. Plus my right foot feels weird, it doesn't feel numb, but stiff, it does occasionally get a warm feeling to it.
It feels like there is a gas bubble in my belly, right by my belly button. I did have some side effects, nausea, constipation from the Paxil I believe.  Could this lingering gas bubble feeling be from the Paxil/Butalbital side effects?

So, with this new Hip Pain, back pain that wraps around to my front that doesn't go away from a visit to the chiro i think I have some major problem like cancer or whatever.  The hip doesnt hurt when I run, nor does my belly since I started jogging again.

Any suggestions, my Dr. thinks this is all in my head, so do i but I can't let it go.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

You note chronic lower back pain, and a pain in your groin and hip.  You have a job that requires heavy lifting.  Episode of bronchitis cleared with Levaquin.  Chest X-ray, blood work, EKG normal.  There are questionable sensations on your right foot.  Currently on Paxil.

If you are having back discomfort since December, and it is still bothering you, it is time to obtain some further imaging.  A variety of nerve root impingement syndromes can cause groin or hip pain, and pain in your legs and toes.  Before attributing the symptoms to anxiety, an MRI should be considered to make sure that nothing is wrong with your back (i.e. a herniated disk).  

The "gas/bubble" feeling may be a side effect from the Paxil - gastrointestinal symptoms are one of the more common side effects of antidepressants.  See what happens after a trial off medications.  If you continue to be nauseous and bloated, further testing such as an upper GI series or endoscopy could be considered to evaluate for any stomach or small bowel dysfunction.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I truly feel for you. You sound just like me. I had to take care of my mother while I watched her pass away from colon cancer. It is a horrible thing to have to go through. Especially at our age( I am 29), I too thought I have every problem known to man. I now have the bills to prove it. It is so stressful waking up each day wondering what it going to hurt today to throw your mind for a loop. Mt problem was the internet. Every problem I had I looked it up. According to the internet I have every cancer out there. Big Mistake! I finally stopped that and I am doing better. I still have my days but it took time to change my train of thought. You only live once. And I know first hand that it is not fun living like this. I also am on Paxil but on 20mg. I suffered Panic attacks. I wish you all the luck and sorry for your loss. DAnielle
I lost my mother to gall bladder cancer 18 months ago.  I feel for you two because I went through and am going through the same thing.  After my mother passed away, I got sick alot: colds, pains, anxiety, panic attacks, etc.  I searched the Internet for hours on the symptoms I was having and thought I had many different types of cancer, etc.  I am on paxil and see a therapist.  I think my doctor thought I was nuts.  I am getting better.  I think this reaction described here is post-traumatic stress, a form of grieving, and depression.  What helped me was general statistics when I thought, "What are the chances of me having the same type of cancer as my mother, right now?"  Really slim to none.  Think of your odds the same way.  I have to keep myself off the Internet at times.  I am starting to have more better days than poor days.  Time does heel some of this.  Good luck!
ripkin900 Not sure if you will read this post... But if you do I would like to talk to you about what you are going through. Sounds like the same thing im going through too. I just went through the same thing with my mother who passed away in april on 2002 im 33 and feel like im 63 and think by talking can help some... This is my e-mail address ***@****
steve