Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Very strange girgling sound in throat after eating or drinking 9 years

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi I posted about a rare not yet diagnosed problem of mine a month or two ago and had a few people with the same problem post messages. Im now tring to contact some of those people as I cant seem to write anymore messages on that topic. Since there is only a handful of us I would like to keep in contact with them and try to rid this problem once in for all. To some it up I get a constant strange girgling sound that comes up to my throat after I eat or drink anything even water and it will last for hours until my stomach is completly empty. Its funny I say it sounds like a frog in my throat but the sound sometimes sounds like that and if I have my mouth open when I feel the girgling coming up its very loud and others can hear it. This goes on about every 30 sec until I lye on my back then it goes away in less then a minute or until I get up again. For some reason everytime a brush my teeth I notice it to get real bad also it starts when I get post nasal drip which is about everyday. I dont know if this is causing my post nasal drip or just the opposite. There is something in toothpaste when a little gets in your throat it makes it start right away even on a empty stomach. Someone that posted a message after mine mentioned that if they lye on there left side it gets worse. I did notice this to be true. They also said ever since childhood they could never burp after a meal. I also had the same problem. Along with this I have many ear and sinus problems and have had a number of surgeries with no help so far and most doctors are stumped on whats causing my tissue in my nose to keep swelling up where I cant breath ever. I have been on allergy shots and many different medications and still no help. I now believe that this digestive disorder might have something to do with my nasal passages or ear problems of mine since it has been going on for 9 years now and I noticed some of my other problems started at that time. I was told reflux can cause a number of ear nose and throat problems although from the past doctors I have been to they tell me I do not have GERD as I never get heartburn and when I lye on my back it goes away everytime in less then a minute. I have also been to many ENT doctors and when they look in my throat and vocal cords they all say everthing looks fine and nothing is swollen. I was thinking it might be LPR but was told I do not have that. What else could it possibly be and has anybody heard of such a thing or treated it yet? Im going to another digestive doctor in less then a week and will keep all others with the same problem posted. Please email me at ***@**** and we can try and sove this together since there seems to be only a few of us and the doctors dont seem to know.   Thanks   Rich
Certainly GERD should definitely be ruled out.  Symptoms such as a gurgling that occurs can definitely be associated with this.  You do not necessarily have to have the classic "heartburn" type symptoms in order to have GERD.  Before discarding this diagnosis, I would suggest a 24-hr pH study evaluate to conclusively evaluate for this.  This study can also be used to diagnose LPR.  

If medications cannot control the symptoms in the presence of GERD or LPR, then surgery may be considered.

If this test is negative, you may want to consider gastroparesis, which can be evaluated with a gastric emptying scan.  Typically, this results in nausea, but there are some cases where regurgitation is can occur.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
A related discussion, "frog" in throat after eating/drinking was started.