Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Virtual Colonoscopy or regular?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Virtual Colonoscopy or regular?

My doctor just set me up for a colonoscopy. I am concerned about dangers involved in the procedure.
I was wondering if the virtual colonoscopy is a viable alternative yet, and if so, how can I get one.
Any informatin will be appreciated.
They now have a tiny camera inside a capsule that you swallow. The camera takes digital photos of the inside of your intestines as it goes through, and transmits the images to a receiver and storage device you wear on your belt. The images are later uploaded to a computer for diagnostic evaluation. It's mainly used to look at the small bowel since no scope is capable of reaching the entire length of it. It's a relatively new procedure so you may have to visit one of the major medical centers to have access to it.

Otherwise, a colonoscopy is pretty safe if done by a competent, experienced gastro doc. I would think it would be more accurate than the camera capsule.
Get the regular colonoscopy done FOR SURE!!! the virtual one can only detect polyps of a certain size, and it not nearly as accurate as the regular colonoscopy.  I just had a colonoscopy done, and my doc told me that the thing that you swallow wasnt' available yet, but then again i'm in canada and it may be in the states.  
   anyway, i would strongly advise you to have a regular colonoscopy.  The risks of colonoscopy are so rare.  Think, what if the virtual one missed something??  That would be more likely then you having a perforated colon from the colonoscopy.  Its by far the most accurate test for detecting any abormalities in the colon!!!  (lol trust me, i've been hooped by just about every scope out there!! )
Katey makes a very good point - your risk from the colonoscopy is much less than the risk of the camera/capsule missing something. Unless there's a question about the small intestine, I'd stick with the colonoscopy.
my son had a virtual conoloscopy done last month and I will never put him thru that again the procedure is done  with nothing for the pain and in the end he had to have a colonoscpy done any how and the virtual missed some polyps why put yourself thru 2 procedures
If someone could please explain what the "virtual colonoscopy" is I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.