Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Vitamins for liver health

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Vitamins for liver health
Three months ago I was dx with probable FNP, I am due for another CT for followup.  Meanwhile, I did a little research on what vitamins could be healthy for the liver.  What I found and have been taking are the following:  Soya Lecithin, Milk Thistle, Omega 3/6, Super B complex(does not include B1), B1, Phosphatidylcholine, Vitamin E, Vit C, A and D, Multivitamin, Selenium, and SAMe.  What is your opinion of this regimen, and if beneficial why do not more GI physicians support more aggresive vitamin therapy? (I am a med/surg nurse who rarely see's any vitamins other than B1 and folic acid recommended)  Also, what are the specific causes of FNP.  Is there any other vitamins that may be beneficial?
FNP - I'm going to assume you are referring to focal nodular hyperplasia.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  

This is the most common non-malignant tumor in the liver.  Although there may be anecdotal reports of vitamins helping, I am not aware of consensus studies or trials demonstrating benefit.  Many physicians will be hesitent to recommend vitamins or medications in the abscence of hard evidence.  

Causes of this is thought to be a hyperplastic response (i.e. regenerative response) to anomalous arteries that are in the center of these lesions.  

Treatment is normally conservative.  Oral contraceptives should be avoided since they are thought to expand these lesions.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I have found alot of doctors just are not educated in the benefits of vitamens ect. I think some( I am not saying all) do not want to take the money away from going to the prescription meds. You do have to be careful with what you take though. I am going to make a suggestion. Go to www.curezone.org  Go to the Ask Shelly forum. Tell her you situation and any problems you are having and tell her what you are taking. She will be full of great suggestions and can ask any questions you may have. Good Luck! Danielle
I'd watch your intake of vitamin A, which can be toxic in large amounts, especially in people with liver problems (diabetics, people with metabolic syndrome, alcoholics, etc.).

For information about "alternative" treatments (such as those that are food- or plant-based), I recommend visiting http://www.altmedconsult.com

-MW
ju
Oops, did not mean to do that !

I have some concerns about my liver & am hoping I may be able to get some advice in this forum.  I'm an alcoholic & at this present time, I do not have the ability to attend rehab.  In the mean time, I'm worried about my health.   I'm bloated & cannot seem to lose the weight around my stomach no matter what I do.  I'm looking for some vitamins or liver health that I can take to help improve my liver funtions.  I know I have to stop drinking, first step.

Please any help or advice would be great.
A related discussion, high test was started.
A related discussion, Cysts between Liver & Spleen was started.