Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Water; digestive benefit or not?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Water; digestive benefit or not?

I usually drink liberal amounts of water with my meals. I have heard opposing viewpoints on whether water helps or hinders digestion. Can you clear up the question of whether water aids in digestion when consumed with meals or is it better to forego drinking during a meal. Thank You.
People seem to take very different positions on this issue. I have always been advised by my doctors to drink lots of water with meals, but in relatively small sips rather than in big gulps, as this apparently aids digestion. Chewing your food thoroughly is also very important. However, I more recently have heard from various alternative practioners (everyone from my yoga instructor to a friend who's an accupuncturist) that you should drink as little as possible with meals. If I were you, I would just try both, each for a few meals, and see if you notice any differences. Whatever you do, avoid drinking very cold water (no ice!) as this is a shock for your system and hinders digestion, and avoid carbonated water as this increases gas in your belly and can aggravate gas, bloating, and belching. Also, if you are suffering from any condition where dehydration may be an issue (dizziness, fatigue, dry mouth would be a few symptoms of this), you may want to consider substituting Gatorade or Pedialyte for water, either at meals or other times. Water won't help rehydrate you as well as these beverages can.

I have read that drinking water with the meal is not good because it dilutes the stomach acid that breaks down your food.  I had been told to drink my beverage after my meals by a doctor when I was on a special diet.
I too had been told both
Since the onset of heartburn and abdominal pain 10 months ago with weight loss too, I have read and visited the doctors trying to do all I can while waiting.
I used to drink more then a gallon a day.
I do drink water with meals and was told if heartburn starts: Drink water to dilude the acid.
Although maybe this could effect enzymes trying to work ?
Good Question
In the rest of the world people order bottled water in restaurants as part of the meal. In one upscale  eatery they now have a water-steward (like a wine-steward)who recommends the best digestive water type for your meal.  My pets always drink after eating if animal instinct means anything. In short, it does help digestion but don't over do it.