Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Weird Coating on Tongue after upset stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Last night I had an upset stomach. All I had to eat/drink that day was tonic water (straight no alchol), some coconut shrimp, salad, and chicken fajitas with guacamoli, sour creme and a little cheese. I tend to have a sensitive stomach so this was not unusual. I usually do not take anything for it but a friend offered me pepto-bismal tablets and I took two. It helped a little and I went home brushed my teeth and went to bed. When I woke up this morning I had this light black coating on my tongue and a little back on where my wisdom teeth are coming in (it almost looks like mold). When I brushed my tongue it came off pretty easy but I would still like to know what it is from or if it is even related to my upset stomach. I do not have medical insurance and when I called the hospital they were no help.
1 Comment
Hi:

You should have come to this forum first, instead of wrangling with the hospital! Don't be alarmed. A black coating on the tongue is a common side-effect of the Pepto-Bismol. It is only a temporary surface discoloration and does not indicate the presence of any disease. The Pepto may also cause darkening of stool, so, if that happens, don't be thinking of a bleeding ulcer either.

Hope this helps,

JOHN W. (R.Ph)
Thank-you - I woke up this morning with a black tongue after chewing a pepcid complete during the night for indigestion. It scared me half to death. I couldn't get into my doctor and almost had my husband take me to the ER but I wasn't sick- just had the black tongue that took most of the day to finally disappear and left an awful taste in my mouth that is still there a little. I hope this is the same as the Pepto Bismal that you described.
Ellie8155
A related discussion, Irritable Bowel Syndrome was started.
A related discussion, stomach pains was started.