Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Weird Swallowing Sensation

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Weird Swallowing Sensation

I have this "weird" swallowing sensation that comes
and goes. There is a bone or cartillage above my
adam's apple that "recoils" or "ricochets" pretty
hard at times when I swallow. It happens mostly when I
swallow saliva and less often when swallowing food.
When I drink liquids, sometimes that bone gives a
rhythmic "knocking" sensation.

I don't have any problems eating or drinking but it
is a very annoying feeling. There are times when the
recoil is so hard it actually hurts my throat. This
has been going on for two months now and I have seen
2 ENT specialists in my area (San Jose, CA). Both
performed fiber optic scopes. One diagnosed pharyngitis and the other had no diagnosis whatsoever.

Anybody here ever experienced this?

Thank you.
Cyrano

I get exactly the same problem, if you have heard from anyone who has helped you, please let me know. I have been to hospital to get it checked out but the doctor suggested it was cartilage and could see nothing else. Not only when swallowing do I get the sensation but during the night occasionally, I feel like I have a piece of bone or something cover my windpipe and I have to swallow hard to get it "back in place".

Let me know if anyone else has helped you.

Carm

Carmenne,

I went to UCLA head and neck surgery center to see a physician who specializes in "popping or clicking throats". He told me that it is abnormal hyoid bone movement and can be corrected with a 30 minute outpatient surgery where he makes a small incision in your neck and shaves off a piece of the larynx and/or hyoid bone to prevent the popping sensation. He said I may have a little reflux but the popping hyoid movement is completely unrelated to any reflux disease.

If you want more information, e-mail me at ***@****

Cyrano
I have been having the same problem for several months now and would really appreciate any information about this problem
doctor told me it was reflux after administering a barium swallow i followed all the doctors instructions on controlling reflux and it hasn't helped. the popping seems worse in the morning and eases throughout the day i also have a feeling of a scratch or something in my throat. i have noticed that if i turn my head certain ways it sometimes helps with the popping.