Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Weird feeling in throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Weird feeling in throat

Over the last 6-8 weeks, I have had a bizarre feeling in my throat.  I can't say it is sore, it is just like a swelling.  By flexing my throat muscles, I can sort of make it "click."

I have a cough and congestion in my head which sometimes moves into my chest.  I am an ex-smoker.  I have not had any problem swallowing or anything like that. Occaisonally I have limited hoarseness which goes away after I clear my throat. Sometimes I can push hard with a finger on my throat and feel a tender spot.

Is this serious?  What does it sound like.  I plan to go to the Dr. after Thanksgiving.  I would like to go with some information.

Thank you
I also have been having a similar problem. No sore throat but  occasional horseness and a scratchy or tickling feeling in my Larynx or Trachea that makes me feel like coughing.  I had been diagnosed with GERD previously by my GI doctor and have read that the acid reflux can cause problems in these areas. I went to an ENT doctor in order to rule out any problems with the vocal chords, etc.. I've found that gum chewing and sucking on lozenges helps....the saliva pushes any refluxed acid back down to the stomach and it also coats the throat and esophagus. I'll be talking to my GI doctor again since I'm concerned that this is happening and I am on GERD medication to keep the acid in check.