Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What Are The Effects...???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

What Are The Effects...???

What are the effects of an elevated GGT level?  I have had GGT levels of over 500 for well over a year.  I am currently being diagnosed, but am wondering what damage the elevated levels could cause to liver.
______________
dear Sherry Jackson,
There are no adverse effects of an increase of GGT per se.  The elvated GGT indicates either that there is blockage of the bile ducts or liver cells are either leaking or dying.  Determination of the specific cause will require additional blood tests and either liver biopsy or visualization of the bile ducts.  
The symptoms associated with the elevated GGT are those associated with the underlying condition e.g. jaundice, dark urine, light colored stool, abdominal pain, and fever/chills, to mention some of the symptoms.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: liver test
0.3

A related discussion, Is stress the reason for my acute intermittent Sx of IBS. was started.