Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What are indications of blood in stool?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

What are indications of blood in stool?

I am a 26 year old female. 3 months ago my stools became hard & pebbly. 2 weeks after that my stool became extremely fat & I started seeing right red blood in my stool. After 2 weeks of taking fiber, I had a sigmoidoscopy in which doctors ruled the cause of blood was internal hemroids. Personally, I think the hemroids were a result of the fatty stools. Now my stools vary. Sometimes 8 inches long, maybe an inch & a half wide and soft. Sometimes they are hard & pebbly & range from light brown to very dark brown. Sometimes I see what looks like mucous & lately when I've taken Allegra-D the whole pill has been in my stool. For the last coupe weeks, I have had a dull pain on my upper left side, right above the navel & tender to the touch. The dull pain extends up into the breast area but is not tender to the touch. I sometimes get a pain similar to the pain you get while you're jogging. It's also been difficult for me to take a deep breath so I've been having the urge to yawn. The difficulty taking a deep breath always occurs when I eat & occassionaly at other times.

I went to the doctor for the same abdominal pain & difficulty taking a deep breath arround 1995.(no stool problems). Arround the same time my urine became cloudly. I had a renal ultrasound & nothing showed up. Also my doctor said cloudly urine isn't abnormal & my urine has been cloudly ever since. I had breath tests done arround the same time & those came out fine also. I see a GI specialist in 3 weeks. Since no stool or urine samples have been taken or any blood work, what should I tell the doctors to test for? I keep getting told to take fiber.

I don't know if this is relevant but for the past 7 months I've been getting recurring bacterial infections. My gynecologist just found an abnormal bacteria & put me on doxycycline for a week. I've had the problems with my stool prior to taking the medication. Can you tell me what these symptoms may be an indication of? I really need your help.
Being 26 years old, the most common cause of blood in the stool would be hemorrhoids.  Causes like cancer would be unlikely in your age group.  

Regarding the fatty stools - there are several causes, such as malabsorption, inflammatory bowel disease or pancreatic problems.  

You may want to consider a colonoscopy for a more thorough examination, or tests for malabsortion - including a fecal fat test, test for celiac disease or blood tests for the pancreas as further testing.

It seems like that your doctors are considering irritable bowel disease - increasing the amount of fiber is usually the first step in treating these disorders.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I'm a 25 year old female, About a month ago I fell poorly with sickness and diahorrea. I noticed that when I went to the tiolet there was blood on the tissue and blood in my stools. I went to the doctor and she informed me that it was probably internal piles. I haven't had any probelms with going to the toilet regularly since, I have changed my diet so that I am eating more fibre and using Ansol to try and sort it out. But after thinking it had gone away today I found blood in my stools again.

I keep getting abdominal pains but thinks this is due to the amount of fibre I am eating as by body isn't used to.

What do you think I should do, do you think it more than just Piles?
Hi.  I am really interested in what you find out.  I have also had many of your symptoms.  I am a little older than you are, but have also have some questionable immune problems, cloudy urine, worsening allergies, etc.  I am also having stool problems for the first time.  All of this started about a year ago.  Right now I am fighting strep throat.  I didn't even think adults got strep.  But I have been having floating stools.  I was on some medicine that made me constipated.  Once I got that straightened out, my stools have been floating ever since.  ????  Just curious as to what you find out.

Thanks.....