Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What are these deposits in my throat?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

What are these deposits in my throat?

I hope someone can help me. I have had this recurring problem for years, and Im ready to put an end to it.
I get these waxy deposits in the back of my thoat. These are different from a tonsil infection(which I have had before) where you get white patches.
These Wax chunks become lodged around my tonsils,and grow further down my throat. I don't wanna get disgusting, but have you ever found a small chunk of a peanut in your mouth a few hours after eating some?
that is what they look like and feel like. In the past I have scraped some out of my throat and when squeezed with my fingers, they feel very waxy, and the have a horrendous odor.

My wife can always tell whenever I get them because of my bad breath.
Well, I coughed up some this morning, and I've had enough. can anyone tell me what I have? I would really like to find a way to get rid of them.

Btw-- im a 35 yrs. Male, I dont smoke and I drink only a few beers a week... no other alcohol.

any help would be appreciated.
Tags: food, years
I don't have a clue what's wrong,but sounds like you need to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist.  Good Luck!
These deposits are old food that becomes trapped in your tonsils.
It's nothing to be worried about.
I have had the same problem for years.  I asked my doc about it and he said although they are nothing serious, they can be bothersome with the bad breath and all.  He suggested gargeling (sp?) regularly with very mild salt water to help loosen any lodged food particles. It has helped tremendousely.  Good luck.
Yea, this is annoying.  I also am plagued by this.  I have narrowed it down to certain foods that are easily trapped.  But I am sure everyone's experiences are different.

Just as a tip-  I have tried for years to "pick" them out; not a pleasant task.  Spoons, pens, toothbrushes, icepicks--you name it, 've tried it.  The *absolute* best tool is a Citrus Peeler; the yellow plastic one.  For some reason, it's the perfect curve, thickness, and length to achieve a swift, non-gagging, cleaning!  It has made an unbelievable difference to my life!  seriously...

Hope it works for you too.
Gayla
I have also had this problem and haven't had success in finding out what it is.

I've also noticed that the problem gets much worse when I get sick, or have a mild throat infection.

I'd be curious to hear if you've noticed the same things.

A related discussion, throat deposits was started.