Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What can cause Rectal Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

What can cause Rectal Pain

I am 33 years old with normal bowel habits and no rectal bleeding or anything like that.  What I have noticed over the last couple of weeks is that there are times that I feel like I have to have a bowel movement but I cannot do anything.  Also, I feel like around my anal opening its swollen or there is something there but I can't feel anything.  I have had a little bit of anorectal pain but it does not hurt very much.  Maybe a little bit more like achy.  Anyway, I think I have worried myself sick over this thinking its something serious and I am just trying to find out if anyone else has had anything like this and if so what it was.  Again, my bowel habits are the same and everything else seems fine.  I have thought of hemorrhoids but I thought they usually bleed and since I don't have any bleeding I was not sure if that could be the problem or not.
How long have you been experiencing this symptom?
I don
If you don't think it is hemmroids, it might be perianal cyst.  It would be a good idea to get an appointment with your doctor to find out for sure.  Not to scare you, but if it is a perianal cyst they might refer you to a colon/rectal specialist because more than likely surgery will be needed.
I have been experiencing this for about 2-3 weeks.  It's just a weird feeling when you sit down.  It almost feels like you have a piece of toilet paper stuck after you wipe.  That's the only way I can describe it.  It sounds weird I know but that's the only way I can describe it.  Well I work in a hospital but I just don't have the nerve to ask one of the docs.  So if its a cyst all they go in and do is drain it right?  I am not too concerned about that.  But I just worry if its something really serious even though I dont have alot of the symptoms of cancer but its still pretty unnerving.  I did not realize after reading things on here how many people have "butt" problems.  But I will most likely get it checked out for "peace of mind".  It's just really hard to bring myself to go to the doctor and talk about butt problems.  ARGH!!!  LOL
Better to talk about your "butt" problems than wait for things to get worse.  I didn't mean to scare you about the perianal cyst but I thought I was having hemmroid trouble.  I went to my Gynocologist because I'm most comfortable with him looking down there.  My pain started on Thursday and I showed up at my doctor's office Monday morning.  Didn't even have an appointment.  The cyst went from the size of a dime to a large orange in four days.  I could hardly walk.  The could not drain mine.  I had emergency surgery and they cut it out.  Because of its location I had no stitches.  They had to let it heal from the inside out.  I had a whole packed with gauze that was the diameter of a 50 cent piece and 4 inches deep.  I won't kid you.  It was very painful.  They said if I had not gone to the doctor and it burst, I could have died.  Believe me you get rid of your modesty quickly when something like this happens.  I hope you don't have a perianal cyst and the remedy of your problem doesn't require surgery.  Please keep us posted.  Best of luck to you.
please  can someone help me   I have had rectal pains for months now  I have been to 8 colon rectal drs and they all gave me a thorough exam with their scopes, and they saw nothing .  They said that I had hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) but they were too small to cause anything.  I had one banded anyway to try to see if it would help but it does not.  Meanwhile, I do not know where to turn at this time. THey all say tht it is spasms in the rectum, but it does not feel tht way.  It feels like I have something swollen in there sometimes, and then sometimes it just aches and feels sore.  I constantly squeeze to move my bowels and I know tht this does not help the cause.  I take colace, and suppositories, and I sit and soak a lot as well.  I am a wreck worrying about this, and have run out of places to go,  I don't want to do anything drastic in there, like surgery, if it is not necessary, but i just can't deal any more with this.  I do not bleed either. I had a catscan of my rectum also and it showed nothing.  So,  what do I do?   THe drs are treating me with ativan and antidepressants and I hate drugs when I feel that this is a medical and not mental problem.  Please  Can someone help me?  Please e mail me at  ***@****  Thanks   JOLI
Hey Joli.. Try looking up articles related to Proctalgia Fugax.
It is an intense rectal pain that usually comes in the middle of
the night and can last anywhere from a few minutes to (in my case) an hour. There is no cure for this condition, which by the way is benign. I have been experiencing this for over 20 years (I'm 44 years old). The only thing that helps me is one of those hot packs that you can heat in the microwave and sit on that until the pain subsides. This may be what you are experiencing.

Ed.
A related discussion, pain and gallstones was started.