Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What does this elevated bilirubin mean????

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a healthy 34 year old white male, no smoking ever in my life but did have some alcohol usage in younger years. In 1995, I had a work physical that came back with an elevated bilirubin(total) of 2.2.....range .2-1.2. Also in this blood test my total protein was 8.3.....range of 6.4-8.2 and my albumin was 5.2......range of 3.8-5.0. I really never thought to much about it since I am not a medical person so I just let it go and never went back for follow up. Now, I had another work physical done last week and once again, elevated bilirubin. This time it was 3.05 with the same range as above. On this test....everything else was normal this time SGOT was 17 and alk phos was 68. They did not do an AST or GGT this time but did the first time in 1995 and those were both well in the normal range. I feel fine, no problems that I am aware of . But now, I am married to a Registered nurse and she is freaking out over this.....she thinks I have a liver ailment!!!!! Could someone please help me out on this??????? I will be glad to go to the doctor for more testing if needed but I dont want to waste a bunch of money if nothing is majorly wrong. Thanks for your time........
Dear Troy, It is difficult to know the cause of your elevated bilirubin without doing additional tests.  However, if all the other liver tests are normal, it is possible that you have a condition called gilbert's disease.  In this condition, which occurs in 5% of the population, there is an isolated increase in bilirubin.  The disease does not progress and is not associated with other liver conditions.

In addition to Gilbert's disease, it is also necessary to consider hemolysis- premature breakdown of the red cells.  This condition can have many different causes.  

If your wife is concerned, a doctors visit with a few blood tests should provide indications whether there is a cause for anxiety.
I am also 34 years old, and just went thru some liver function tests. The first tests I had showed total bilirubin 2.2, my (sgot or ast) was normal but my (sgpt or alt and ggt) was twice what it should be.. Since the sgpt or alt is the main enzimes tied to the liver the doctor ordered an Adominal (abdominal) ultrasound. Results showed possible fatty infiltration of liver. I was kind of concerned because usally alcohol makes both the ast and alt enzimes high, but just the alt was elevated.. Might be a good ideal to have these enzimes checked since something else could be causing the elevated bilirubin.

Best of luck..
What kind of symptoms did you have?
I also have elevated bilirubin - a condition called Gilbert's syndrome.  Apparently if everything else checks out normal you have nothing to worry about.  I have had this for years (I am only 38) and continue to live a very active life running, paddling, biking etc.  Good luck with it.
I had a couple of doctors look at my test results and they both agreed, I have Gilberts syndrome. They assured me I had nothing to worry about since this doesn't cause any problems and quiet a few people are walking around with Gilberts syndrome and don't know it.
The same thing happened to me... I went for a community health
fair blood test a few months after having a baby and found that
I had an elivated bili ruben, about the same as yours.  Funny
thing is that my baby was born with a VERY high bili ruben that
required a 4-day hospital stay in an incubator under 5 sets of
lights to bring down to a safe range.  I told my OBGYN about it
and he didn't seem to be all that worried.  He did refer me to a
Gastro-doctor who diagnosed me with Gilberts Syndrome - although
he never did any tests to confirm it.  He basically said that it
was probably just normal for me and no big deal.  I have always
wondered if there is any relationship between that high bili
ruben and the gastro-problems that I have (irritable bowel, heart
burn - acid reflux, gas, etc.)  Did you ever get a response to
your question posted here?
I also have a high bilirubin count, unfortunately, I have been experiencing bouts of extreme fatigue.  when the fatigue comes over me, my arms and legs begin to tingle.  I wondered if this had anything to do with the high bilirubin?
Thanks Doc!
My 63 year old dad had a blood work done and his liver function test was normal except for his bilirubin which was 2.7. His cholesterol is great. He also feel fine. What could be the cause?
I'm dumb.  What is Gilbert's Syndrone/Disease and is it dangerous?  My husband just got some blood work back from the doctor and that's what the doc is diagnosing.  Hubby is a pilot and I'm concerned that this could knock him out of his flying career.  I've never heard of this and need help.

Thanks in advance.
my daughter was has gilberts'. Is there any medications that she shouldnt take?
I HAVE A TOTAL BILIRUBIN LEVEL OF 1.9 AND EVERY THING ELSE IS NORMAL. I HAD BLOOD TEST DONE FOR AN INSURANCE POLICY. SHOULD I HAVE MORE TEST DONE.

I would like to ask something, I have just gone for full blood test and the results came back normal.  I was a bit worried as my Platelets level was slightly low 111 and my Bilirublin level was very slightly high 2.1 , is this something to be concerned about, I have been on the Dinette for 7 years could that be why my level was high. I am also not yellow or suffer from pain in my stomach or anything.  My Dr. recommend I go for a Sona of the Pelvis.  Is this necessary as my level was only very slightly raised.   I really feel that this is not necessary.

I also take Garlic tables and imagine that is why my Platelets level is low. I thought was good as I would rather have thick blood then thick blood.  I don
Dear sir,
I am twenty two yeras old and I was diagnosed with gilberts syndrome 7 years ago. My last blood test should that my level of bilirubin was 88.  I have talked to many people who have gilberts, but they normally have 44, 46 50 bilirubin.  The reason
I am writing is because I have constant pain somewhere underneath my rib cage.  I am just wondering what this could be and if you know if there are any ways of lowering my bilirubin level.  Thanx.
I am 27 years old and have just recently went in for a basic physical. I just quit smoking and I am not an excessive drinker. The tests that my Dr ran show high levels of AST, Alkaline Phosphatase, and Bilirubin. These tests were also ran last year and were also considered high. At that time, my Dr. had no explanation as to why they were high but that my liver just may function normally that way. After having these tests ran again in th elast week, these levels seem to be progressing but again she states there is not an explanation for it. She has ran all of the typical checks for Hepatitis, Iron storage disease, etc.. and they all come back negative. The only sympton I have been having is Fatigue. She is having an ultrasound on me in a couple of weeks. I wanted to get another opinion on what may be happening. Does anyone have any other ideas??
I am a 27 year old male, and have just recently been diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome.  Next week I will be returning to my doctor for more testing and possibly a liver biopsy.  I seldom drink alchohol or smoke cigarretes however, I chew tobacco.  Should I be abstaining from this sort of thing or does it matter?  Also should I be avoiding certain types of foods.
TO Judy and Kevin...  Judy, I am not a Dr. but have vast experience w/my own liver problems. Please check out C.R.E.S.T. syndrome and see if you have any other symptoms, there are websites on this. What many people don't realize is that there aren't any diffinitive blood tests that can easily and simply tell if you have a serious liver problem. The liver is an extremely complex organ and not fully understood yet. Anyone reading this please refer to my advise posted under "My ten year old son..." my comment is dated 4/26/00. It is lengthy and full of tips helpful to anyone with serious problems who are on a journey for a correct diagnosis.                                                                                                    Kevin, is the pain under your ribs on your right side??? That is where your liver is. Sounds to me like you need an imaging test of this area. My problem was discovered during a CAT-SCAN for something else. Since I have found this site it breaks my heart to see how many people are suffering endlessly without knowing what to do. YOU HAVE TO EDUCATE YOURSELF AND BECOME YOUR OWN TOUGH ADVOCATE or you will continue to wander aimlessly. No one else is going to do it for you. Best of luck to you all -                                                 Sincerely, Karen
My son was delivered by vacuum extraction on 02/17/2000 with HR=0. He was orally intubated. He was discharged on 02/22/2000 with a peak bilirubin of 13.6/0.5. On discharge day the overall status was "critical and statable".
       TBili 13.6  DBili 0.5
The next day after discharge, my son was taken to the for follow up on bilirubin. The clinic sent us (my wife and I) to Emergency Room at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami because of the high level of bilirubin. The doctors there said there was nothing wrong with the baby.
On Friday 03/31/2000, he was diagnosed with anemia. Some iron medication was prescribed for that. On April 2/2000, he was having a hard time breathing, he was rushed to ER then to Miami children Hospital the same daywhere he administered "phenobarbital, fentonyl, and ativan" because he was agitated. Since then hewas asleep or in coma untill he was pronounced dead on 05/03/2000.
I have been told that he suffer severe brain damage from front to back of the head.
Please help me solve this puzzle...

I am a healthy 22-year old and I just got back a blood test with elevated levels of bilirubin at about 2.1.  What does this mean? Is this very serious?  Could I have something wrong with me--what should I do?
I too have Gilberts Syndrome.  The major problem that I'd like to know how to fix, yellowing of the eyes.  I work in the medical field and often am questioned as having hepatitis.  I've ruled this out a number of times.  

ARE THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS, MEDICATIONS, TECHNIQUES, ETC . . . THAT CAN AT LEAST ELIMINATE THE JAUNDICE OF THE EYES?????

***@****
I am the father of a boy that has the Gilbert syndrome.
Is there any Italian URL or link, that comment this syndrome,
because is very difficult for me to read in English.
Thanks !
The Red Cross rejected my blood about 10 years ago because it tested positive for Hep C antigen.  Since then, Hep C has not been detected in my blood in numerous tests.   I asked about it again in 1999.  A Hepatic Function Panel shows elevated AST and ALT. (AST = 44 for 1999, 36 for 2000; ALT = 132 for 1999, 76 for 2000)  Still negative for Hep C.  What does this look like?  Would you recommend the liver biopsy they want to do?
Dear Doc, Iwas told I had high levels of all my liver test.Ihad a scan done and they thooght there was a tumor. The doctor found what she called a blood blister on my liver. And that is whatis causing the high levels. This year I had another test and they were even higher.The drs. don't seem concerned.All they say is it will bleed like hell if it breaks. I do not drink and never have except perhaps once a year.
Dear Doc.Ihave high enzime counts. Never drink more than 2 ozs. of alcohol a year.Drs. don't seem to concerned. The tumor is what theycall ablood bister of some type. They say it will bleed like hell if it breaks will just keep aneye on it. The last time I had it checked the nos. were even higher. Please respond.
Well, I'm really glad I found this, I'm going to ask my doctor about this Gilbert's Disease.  My bilirubin went from 2.2 to 3.5 in three weeks.  And I'm only 14 years old!  I don't know anything about bilirubin, I'm just searching abpout it right now.  Thank you and if anyone could give me some suggestions aside from what is posted, could you please e-mail me at ***@****?  Many thanks.
Dear Doc.
Dear Doc.
Dear Doc.
I have had symptoms of abdominal pain after surgery.  With a family histroy of mental instabilty.  Aslo a loss of sensation in the feet.
I also have Gilberts Syndrome.  I just had some test done on my iron counts to rule out another condition.  I have two questions.  First, my GYN wants approval from my doctor so she can prescribe birth control for my pain during menustration.  Will I have any kind of problems?  
and the second question:  SHould I never give blood or plasma?  I am not allowed to give blood, but the plasma center can't tell me if I am not allowed to give plasma.  thanks.
I developed gilbert's syndrome when I was sixteen years olds and had to lose weight to qualitfy for a wrestling weight class. I am now 42 years old and in good health. I am constantly on the look out for simple natural treatments to ease the yellowing of my eyes. I have found that two teaspoons of raw unpastuerized apple cider vinegar in a glass of water with meals does wonders. It tastes like apple seltzer and once you get used to it plain water tastes too bland. Also, beets or beet juice will clear up the yellow eyes. I don't think gilbert's syndrome is entirely benign as I have had irritable bowel syndrome and other stomach stuff.
what do extreme levels of amylase1140,lipase2260,ldh251,alkphos381 in a child mean?she is an 8 year old a vacterl syndrome child.I understand lipase levels are elevated in pancreatitis,but not as much as amylase.
chris
chris
I am a 26 year old male who has always been very active and have noticed in the past 2 years that my energy levels are down and have to have a sleep during the day.  My eyes at times look very tired, blood shot and yellow.  This seems to been getting worse.  I have just had some blood test which show a high level of bilirubin.  The Doctor says I have Gilberts sydnome.  He has not given me much information on it.  I would like to ask people what I can do to help this sydrome, and things to eat, do or take to get my energy levels up again and for my eyes not to look so tired.  thanks
Sorry for my english!
I'm italian, 26 years old, student, i like swimming.
Never had problems with bilirubin but this year I tried to enter the italian army but they say that I'm not Ok for the high level of total bilirubin (3.65). I'll do every test to know the causes of this but now is necessary to get down this value to 1.5 or less. How can I do in few days?
Thank you!
I am just a little concerned re my bilirubin levels and would really appreciate some advise whether this should be of concern and what I can do to improve the situation.  The results came from a full blood test which included liver function.  I had these tests due to feeling generally unwell & occasionally feeling completely wiped out (usually on waking)
My son who is 22 and is a professional cyclist in Italy found that when his training intensity increases and when he is racing in tours which can be up to 15 days of 150-220 kilometers a day in mountainous terrain his iron level drops dramatically. he becomes very tired and lethargic, and his recovery after each stage of racing deteriorates. His doctor after testing diagnosed Gilberts Syndrome.He was told that under normal cicumstances he would not have a problem, but because of the stress his body is under he needs to have a diet which has good source of Iron and to use iron supplements.There is not much research on the effects of Gilberts Syndrome on Elite athletes, so if anyone has any reference sources please advise as the condition does have an effect on his performance.
I've had Gilbert's Syndrone since I was 14 (I'm now 25) and I just want to say that as I've got older,it has affected my health
less. When I was first diagnosed with it, I was quite ill with flu like symptoms, swollen glands (all the time) and pain where my spleen is but I have since been much better. It is true that many peole have this disease without even knowing it as it is nothing serious.All I can recommend is for those who have it, is to simply find out what foods suit you and what food/drink affects you and just try to keep healthy by eating plenty of fruit and vegetables. Simply just forget you have this illness and carry on with your life as normal because if not, you may tend to blame everything on Gilbert's Syndrone and it can become more of a psychological illness.

Having found this page it is actually comforting to know that there are other people who have got what I have...it's that bad you know:)
One more thing, it is to my understanding that Gibert's Syndrone is also heredrity as one of my brothers also has it.
Keep Smiling!
If anyone wishes to ask me anything please do not hesitate to e-mail me at: ***@****

Keep Smiling!
A related discussion, help was started.