Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What is the meaning of high liver enzymes?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I just had a blood workup done for life insurance.  The results came back pretty good with just a strange reading for the liver enzymes.  All were within range except for the GGT/GGTP as follows:

Total bilirubin:  0.60
SGOT/AST:         21.00
SGPT/ALT:         22.00
GGT/GGPT:         77.00

I do not drink alcohol and do not take anti-seizure medications.  I do take birth control pills and Prilosec for heartburn.  I also have allergies and use albuterol, Serevent and Flovent as needed.

Could any of these drugs be the cause of the high reading of the GGPT?  Do you think I need to have further liver function tests?

My triglycerides were 158 and my cholesterol was 245 and blood glucose was 85.

Thank you!
actualy some perscription and  across the counter medications can raise your liver enzyms here is a sight you can check your meds for side afects or concern www.intelihealth.com click on drugs.also to make sure you don't have a more serious problem i would go to your gastroligist/hepatoligist have them to do some blood work for you on hepatitis c and other liver realated  problems .i doubt if it is but better to be safe than sorry. good luck