Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
What to do about a nervous tick?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

What to do about a nervous tick?

Here's my dillema. For the past 17 years I have had a nervous tick in which I shake my head quickly from side to side. This can happen several times a minute on occasion. I seem to be able somewhat control it when I am in the company of others but when I'm alone it seems I can't stop. Although this problem doesn't seem to pose any physicla threat it IS embarrasing nonetheless. I,ve been told I don't do this when I'm asleep and if I concentrate I can control it sometimes up to an hour but it can be mentally taxing. My question is, is this something physical or mental. I've done some research on nervous ticks but it all seems to be in the area of adolescents. I'm a 32 yr old male, workout daily and have excellent eating habits and relatively low stress. Just looking for some advice on which direction I should go here.

Thanks in advance.
Have you heard of Tourette's Syndrome?  Tourettes is characterized by ticks.

I don't think it's Tourettes because you only have one tick.  Have you talked to a doctor about this?  

My guess is you developed a bad habit or have a bit of an OCD disorder.
hi signguy,,,,I have been diagnosed with Tourettes syndrome since age 16,,,,im now 43,,,I take 1mg Klonipin (klonopin) twice a day and it took care of the twitches,,,,I also had eye blinking, and some involuntary vocalazation,,not like u see it on tv when people are cussing,,,,that is the most severe,,,also,,,a good thing,,,tourettes is not progressive meaning it won't get worse.......talk to your doc about it or make an appt. with a neurologist and get on some klonipin (klonopin),,,it worked wonders for me,,good luck

I have had been involuntarily winking at people (twitching on my left eye) for over 40 years. I gave up Topamax (did not like the idea of not being able to quit) and have tried facial excercises with partial success.  It hapens mostly when I am walking alone. I've been told that accupunture can help. I am happy I got to this site. Will check with my neurologist on klonipin (klonopin). Thanks for the advise. The previous entry implied that if you only have one tick it may not be tourette. Then  OCD disorder was mentioned and I don't know what that is. Have a nice day every day. You've been most helpful. I wellcome your suggestions. Castellanos
A related discussion, nervous ticks was started.