Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Why can't I move my bowels normally anymore?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Since 6/99 I have had a problem with constipation. It started after I passed 2 kidney stones that caused a kidney infection.  My urologist & g.i. both said it is unrelated.

I am constipated all the time. When I go to the bathroom, not much comes out.  My abdomen has been distended for the last 2 yrs. I always look like I am in the early stages of pregnancy.  I am 31 yrs old, have always been under 100 lbs. & have always had a flat as a board stomach.  I have not gained weight - I simply just have a stretched out abdomen.  It is very uncomfortable and taking fiber pills helps only a little bit.

Also, I have noticed a change in my skin & and hair. These changes culminated around the same time.  I've always had very thick, curly hair.  It has thinned out quite a bit,it's become very dry, & although it's not straight, it's not holding the natural curl anymore.  It's just a pile of limp frizz.  As far as my skin is goes, I never had a problem tanning. I am Italian and have a naturally olive complexion so I would always get deep dark tans. Suddenly I am pale & tend to burn more than tan.

I found out about 6 months ago that I am anemic so I was put on iron pills. This has not helped my hair and skin in any way.  I also have high blood pressure and take Cartia XT (Diltiazem). I have been informed that the medication is not responsible for these problems.

I am getting desperate & can't seem to find a doctor that can give me any answers. I should also mention that I have had an upper & lower GI series that were normal.

I hope you can help me.  Thank you!
Have you had your thyroid checked?  Often the symptoms of an underactive thyroid can be constipation,dry brittle hair and weight gain. Hope this helps.
I don't know if this will help you, but I do know that iron supplements will also constipate you. If the fiber pills help a little, try the fiber powders that you mix with water or orange juice, like metamucil or fiber-con. They work better than the pills. I'm not sure why, they just do. I also agree with the previous post, sounds a lot like thyroid. Hope you're feeling better soon, best of luck.
ri, first of all if u need to take a iron supplement take a non constipating one they do make them.  second ,eat some lean meats , poultry,fish and some dried prunes for iron. third, you should start taking probiotics for your intestinal flora to get in good shape . third your might not be producing enough enzymes and bile to break down and emulsify your food which inturn is not letting u absorb your nutrients from your food. this may be the reason for your thining hair and dry skin . start taking enzyme pills and then if u need take bile suppliments. stay away from junk food eat clean and drink lots of water all day !!  remember keeping your intestines clean is important. last take good multi vitamins daily especially vitamin E good for hair,nail and for that italian olive . which reminds me take a table spoon of extra virgin olive oil daily, that will help u go  good luck chiao!
Sounds like your digestive system is out of wack.try going to a nutritionalist he can give you some digestive enzymes and give you a good diet plan to follow.hope you feel better.
checking to see if u are doing better?