DIGESTIVE DISORDERS / GASTROENTEROLOGY
FORUM
Why do I keep gaining weight after gallbladder removal?
by SpaceKat, Oct 28, 2001
Hi, I really hope someone here is going through this also and can help me. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago due to stones. Since then I have uncontrollably gained a large amount of weight and keep gaining. I am 22, 5'3 and currently weigh 160 lbs. Before my surgery I NEVER had a weight problem - I weighed 130 lbs tops at all times. If I wanted to lose weight then, I could easily, but this is not the case now. For 6 months I have been eating low fat, high fiber diets, portion controlled. I also work out 5 days a week and do running, yoga, weightlifting, and tae-bo on these days. But no matter how hard I work out, or how little I eat, I keep gaining weight steadily. Since my surgery I have gained almost 50 pounds. For the last 2 months I have been eating only 2 small meals a day and I am hungry all the time. I still work out the same amount. But I have not been able to lose a single pound even so. I went to my doctor in desperation but she belittled me and accused me of eating too much and lying about it, when in reality I eat not much more than an anorexic. I gain 10 lbs on average every month and I am constantly having to buy new pants. If anyone else has had or is having this problem also please email me at: ***@**** . I want to collect evidence that this is being caused by the abscence of the gallbladder so I can show it to my doctor. I am desperate, I don't know what to do anymore. I really hope someone can help.
Member Comments (2)
by MARY ANN, Oct 28, 2001
it sounds to me the first thing you need to do is kick your doctor to the curb side and get one that actualy gives a dam .it sounds to me that you may have hypothyroidism it will cause you to gain waight with out being able to control it . go to a gastro digestive specialest and let them know what is goig on and explain it in the same way you did to us .thyroid disease can become a serious matter so i would  get a specialest to see if in fact this could be your problem.dump the doctor .good luck and god bless.
by Tarbush, Dec 01, 2001
Hi, my name is Christy. I too had my gallbladder removed and am having problems with weight gain. I had it out in January due to excessive gallstones and gallbladder disease. Then I was 5' and weighed 120. Now I am 145 lbs.I like you eat right, exercise and I am still gaining weight. It's almost like my body isn't metabolizing fats and carbs right since the gallbladder is removed. I even had (excuse me if this is too personal) bad diarrhea for 8 months after the surgery and still continued to gain weight. Something is wrong here. I saw that someone suggested hypothyroism. I too thought that but I had my levels checked 3 months ago and they were normal.
But last week I read an article that thyroid levels can come back normal and the thyroid can still by hypoactive. If you find out anything, could you let me know. I go back to my Doctor in a week and a half.
It was nice to hear that someone was experiencing the same things as I was.

Christy

PS-a lady I worked with and my cousin are both having the same problems. There has to be a connection somewhere don't you think?
by starcat, Sep 10, 2008
A related discussion, Can you gain weight after gallbladder surgery? was started.
by janinedesiree, Feb 24, 2010
A related discussion, weight gain and big appetite was started.
by sonomared, Aug 27, 2010
A related discussion, Weight gain after gallbladder removal was started.