Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Why do I keep gaining weight after gallbladder removal?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi, I really hope someone here is going through this also and can help me. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago due to stones. Since then I have uncontrollably gained a large amount of weight and keep gaining. I am 22, 5'3 and currently weigh 160 lbs. Before my surgery I NEVER had a weight problem - I weighed 130 lbs tops at all times. If I wanted to lose weight then, I could easily, but this is not the case now. For 6 months I have been eating low fat, high fiber diets, portion controlled. I also work out 5 days a week and do running, yoga, weightlifting, and tae-bo on these days. But no matter how hard I work out, or how little I eat, I keep gaining weight steadily. Since my surgery I have gained almost 50 pounds. For the last 2 months I have been eating only 2 small meals a day and I am hungry all the time. I still work out the same amount. But I have not been able to lose a single pound even so. I went to my doctor in desperation but she belittled me and accused me of eating too much and lying about it, when in reality I eat not much more than an anorexic. I gain 10 lbs on average every month and I am constantly having to buy new pants. If anyone else has had or is having this problem also please email me at: ***@**** . I want to collect evidence that this is being caused by the abscence of the gallbladder so I can show it to my doctor. I am desperate, I don't know what to do anymore. I really hope someone can help.
it sounds to me the first thing you need to do is kick your doctor to the curb side and get one that actualy gives a dam .it sounds to me that you may have hypothyroidism it will cause you to gain waight with out being able to control it . go to a gastro digestive specialest and let them know what is goig on and explain it in the same way you did to us .thyroid disease can become a serious matter so i would  get a specialest to see if in fact this could be your problem.dump the doctor .good luck and god bless.
Hi, my name is Christy. I too had my gallbladder removed and am having problems with weight gain. I had it out in January due to excessive gallstones and gallbladder disease. Then I was 5' and weighed 120. Now I am 145 lbs.I like you eat right, exercise and I am still gaining weight. It's almost like my body isn't metabolizing fats and carbs right since the gallbladder is removed. I even had (excuse me if this is too personal) bad diarrhea for 8 months after the surgery and still continued to gain weight. Something is wrong here. I saw that someone suggested hypothyroism. I too thought that but I had my levels checked 3 months ago and they were normal.
But last week I read an article that thyroid levels can come back normal and the thyroid can still by hypoactive. If you find out anything, could you let me know. I go back to my Doctor in a week and a half.
It was nice to hear that someone was experiencing the same things as I was.

Christy

PS-a lady I worked with and my cousin are both having the same problems. There has to be a connection somewhere don't you think?
A related discussion, Can you gain weight after gallbladder surgery? was started.
A related discussion, weight gain and big appetite was started.
A related discussion, Weight gain after gallbladder removal was started.