Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Why does my granddaughters stomach hurt so bad?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My granddaughter was taken to the emergency room about a week ago for really bad stomach pains.  They diagnosed her with a urinary tract infection.  She began taking antibiotics and a couple days later was no better.  She was taken to her pediatrician and they gave her a urine test and a blood test.  They determined at that time that she did not have a UTI and took her off the antibiotics.  They said her urine was clear and her blood work was fine that she probably has a virus.  The pain has continued and she has no energy, not much of an appetite.  She sometimes cries the pain is so bad and she does not cry easy (She's 8 year old).  On Christmas day she seemed pretty good until about 6 PM and then the pain started and she cried for over 2 hours straight until she fell asleep.  She now says her stomach hurts to the touch.  Her mother took her to the DR again this morning and the DR was reluctant to do any more tests but finally after some insistence she agreed to an ultra sound.  They will find out the results in a couple days.  I'm worried about her and hate to see her in so much pain.  It's very unlike her to cry over a stomach ache.  I'm wondering if it could be appendicitis.  The Dr. doesn't seem to think so but didn't give her another blood test today (12-27).  The last one was done on (12-23).  The first few days her pain was more often in the evenings.  Yesterday it was off and on all day and she slept alot yesterday and only had a small amount to eat in the early morning.  She has barely played with any of her Christmas presents.  It seems like a virus would be getting better.  Please tell me what you think and thank you so much.
Tough to say without examination.  However, things like gastritis, an ulcer, gallbladder pain, pancreas pain, or GERD can all be considered.  

The ultrasound is a reasonable test to evaluate the liver and gallbladder.  If appendicitis is suspected, then a CT scan can be discussed to evaluate this possibility.

The more useful test in my opinion would be an upper endoscopy or upper GI series - these tests can evaluate for ulcers and possible inflammation which can cause the symptoms that has been described.

You may want to consider a GI referral for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
with appendicitis,  kids find it uncomfortable to walk and also the pain increases when riding over bumps in the car.....this is a usual presentation.......good luck
if she has appendicitis,she would have problem bending her body,like standing and bending to pick up something from the floor.
you have to ask her be specific-stomach,abdomin (abdomen)??left,right??
is it bloated?
is she getting bowel movment?
have you studied her stools?
does she fart?/
My daughter had similar symptoms when she was 13 yrs. old.  She complained of a stomach ache for about a week and a half.  It was at Christmas time and she was not her active, perky self.  She had an abrupt onset of vomiting blood.  She was taken by ambulance to the ER.  She ended up in ICU for 12 days.  She had been taking normal amounts of Motrin for a root canal.  The doctors think it caused a bleeding ulcer.  During this time she received 19 pts of blood.  She was scoped 3 times with no success.  Surgery was done and all symptoms stopped.  I hope it is not anything this serious but your granddaughter's symptoms did seem earily similar.
Thanks for all your comments.

My granddaughter is getting better but is a slow process.  The ultrasound didn't show any problems.  She has continued to have stomach aches but they seem to be not so often and maybe not quite so bad.  The Dr checked her blood count again (12/29/04) and her white blood cell count was down a little so she feels fairly certain it is a virus that just needs to run its course.  She has begun to eat a vary small amount and her energy level has returned to some degree.  She went with us yesterday for a drive up in the snow.  That's the first time she's felt like going anywhere for about 2 weeks.  I will be glad when she gets through this.  

I have appreciated everyone's input and please if you any other suggestions or ideas please comment.

ljbennett
My daughter just turned 11. But since she was about 8, she had symptoms which you described. Doubled over in a fetal position with terrible stomach pain. And her too, would cry, which she hardly ever does. I took her to the ER, but they couldn't find anything wrong. We just moved, and again it happened at 11:00 p.m. on a weekend (10/04). With no clinics open, I called 911. I understand your concern believe me. I hated to see her lying on the bathroom rug all curled up in pain. The fire dept arrived first, then the EMS. All men, but they kinda figured it may be menstrual cramp related, although she hasn't started it yet. When a female tech arrived, she confirmed the pain looked like it was coming from the uterus area, and chalked it up to female cramps. They offered to transport her to the hospital 30 minutes away, but having done that before I knew the outcome. We put her to bed and the next day (and since then) she's been fine.

I noticed none of the replies mentioned menstrual cramps, so I wanted to add my two cents. Hope your granddaughter is fine now and enjoyed the snow! Here in Michigan, we love it!

Val
I am so sorry to hear of your granddaughter's pain.  My daughter has been suffering stomach aches for the past 6 weeks.  We had a DR apnt. last weeek and her urine, liver, and spleen appeared normal.  Her DR theorized that she has something called Eosinophilic Gastritis, and recommended a GI specialist if it does not clear up......My THEORY (based on the facts given,the education I'm currently attaining as a Holistic Nutrtitional Consultant, and in treatment of my own daughter), I SUSPECT FOOD ALLERGIES !!! Take her off dairy immediately (soy products (tofu,soy cheese,etc.), soymilk,canned fish,leafy vegetables, fortified orange juice-and other fortified foods, provide all the calcium she would obtain from dairy-the most common food allergy known to humans!), and increase her daily fiber.  These suggestions will NOT hurt her either way.  Try this for 30 DAYS (no squelching on any dairy)and see how she feels.  If she has an ache, remember to always write down the exact time of day it occurs AND EXACTLY EVERYTHING she had eaten prior to the onset of pain....I find it more than curious that several comments have been made in regards to the holiday season and the onset of stomach pain...it is a time when we all consume a lot of food that has been prepared by others (which means we are unaware of what is within our food)!!
Good luck and God bless.
Well When I had really bad stomach pains I first thought it was food poisoning, and it also kinda felt like someone punched me in the stomach it was bad I didnt want to move at all.. It turned out that I had pancreatitis from very high triglycerides.