Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Why is my abdomen swollen and hurting for three months?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My mother is 59 YO; 5ft 4"; 125lbs.  She has had abdominal edema and pain for the past three months sometimes the pain is severe.  The pain covers her entire abdominal region and is beginning to extend to her back.  Her abdomen hurts most in the middle and upper right, and on her back in the same area.  Abdomen is hard and protruding, as if pregnant.

Bowel movements are normal, no constipation, no vomiting, some nausea.  No urinary problems.  No appaernt jaundice.

Last week she had a complete physical with blood work done.  She advised her phycician of the pain.  Bloodwork came back unremarkable in all areas except:  bordrline high cholesterol and low Thyroid. Bone density test shows borderline osteoperosis.  Her physician prescribed prevacid and synthroid.
Her physician ordered a endoscopy, with no sense of urgency.  Maybe 2 weeks before she could get appointment for procedure.

Once again, My mother looks as if she is 6 months pregnant, she had a complete histerectomy 30 yrs ago. The condition has been going on 3 months and is getting worse!  

Am I makinig a big deal out of nothing?  Her quality of life has diminshed rapidly since the onset of theses conditions.

Any advice?  Should she have a KUB or a CT Scan?  
What is the sense of urgency for this condition?  Is it something that can wait?  Need peace of mine?

Help my Mom!  

I would suggest some kind of imaging study.  If there is fluid in the abdomen (ascites), this could be due to malignacy or liver failure.  An ultrasound or CT scan would be the most reasonable next step.

If there is enough fluid to cause the abdomen to become hard and protrude, then a procedure known as a paracentesis can be performed to remove and sample the fluid.  

In any case, I would suggest a physician evaluation for this - and other opinion if this isn't being appropriately looked at.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
when was the last time she saw a gyne?
underactive thyroid or high cholestal do not cause abdominal swelling.
she needs to see a gastro doc
Physical last week was complete, including pap smear and mamogram (mammogram), Gastro doc may be 2 weeks away...is there a sense of ugency here????or can it wait another 2 weeks.  will endoscopy show whats happening inside abdominal cavity outside the GI tract?????  Really worried about waiting for the GP to schedule the next procedure....but insurance ded. is 1,000 for ER.  Does anyomne know if this can wait another 2 weeks???
The only person that can answer that question is her own Physician....He is the one that has access to her complete medical history..If you feel there is an emergency call her Dr, and talk to his answering service, usually they have the Drs. return the call to the Pts....Dr. Pho is the one that will answer your questions here but that may not be today...Good luck to you and your Mom....Tessa
"abdominal edema" is not a common term. If you mean swelling of the belly, which is not really edema, then there are many things that can cause it, and in the absense of acute symptoms such as vomitting, fever, etc, then two weeks wait isn't really significant. Edema of the abdominal wall, meaning fluid within the skin, under the skin, in the tissues between the skin and abdominal cavity (which is not something necessarily easy to diagnose by someone not skilled in physical exam) could in fact be a quite serious thing; and if that's indeed what she has (which I assume is not the case because it's rare and serious, and because I infer you really mean abdominal distention) she needs urgent evaluation.
yeast infection can cause swelling but not pain.
is it gas or is it water??
Depending on the gyne exam, could be an ovarian cyst. Did she have the gyne exam before the abdominal distension? Did she have liver enzymes checked? Does she drink alcohol? Has she lost height at all? How many kids has she had?
She had a total histerectomy 30 years ago...no ovaries left...Complete gyn exam..which was unremarkable.  No gas....Possible h20 retention, but she has no problem with urination.  She cannot eat or drink a lot in one setting... due to swelling not giving much room for food or liquids  I assume.  She has bloating sensation.. and looks bloated.  

From what I was told...Bloodwork that was done 5 days ago was very comprehensive and unremarkable, other than borderline high cholest and low thyroid.  

She never has drank or smoked, or has had children.
Whats the noticable difference between abdominal distention and abdominal adema?

What could possibly cause each or both...ulcers?  hernias? given the only acute symptom is sporadic severe pain.  I would like to reiterate.....Her GP is ordering more tests but does not seem to have a sense or ugency.....I am not sure if my mother, who is very tolerant of pain...clarified the severity of the pain and the duration of the symptoms...3months.

She is in constant pain, sometimes severe! and connot move around much..I am concerned that there have not been any CT scans or x-rays done at this point....to at least give us peace of mind.  

Call a gastro and explain the situation - urge them to set an appointment asap - I would think a CT/MRI/Ultrasound would be in order at this point.  Is there are Convenient Care (Urgent Care) facility near you? The doc on this website should be answering you soon, I hope. Good luck and God Bless.
did they check out her kidneys??
My Mom is 64 now ahe has had this problem for 4 years and no one has figured it out yet.She has had all the test they can think of done and nothing has shown up yet. She asked them to do exploratory surgery but they will not do that. Plus she has no insurance so she jas to pay for all her test up front.I was hoping I could found out something on here. She has a knot or feels like a knot on her right side under her ribs. She has lost weight and she looks like she is 9 months pregant.