Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
XANAX and GERD

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

XANAX and GERD

I have read anecdotal accounts of individuals deriving benefit from GERD symptoms by use of Xanax.  Anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with this?
Have you read any articles on this and did this offer relief from heartburn with meals as well?
Try reading the article at <http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Shipko1.html>
It's article #63 under Mental Health / anxiety.
Xanax is alprazolam. It's suppose to indirectly inhibit bile
reflux and some say it helps with transient relaxation of the LES.
It's a tranquilzer and can be addictive.
lets try again....selfgrowth.com/articles/shipko1.html
also....algy.com/pdi/research.html
Yes, I have seen those websites before.   My problem is primarily 'atypical chest pain' often associated with fatty food intake, so am interested in CCK inhibition.  Removing gallbladder and sphincterotomy did not help, in spite of gastroenterologist claims.

I would like to see if anything other than Xanax exists to inhibit CCK.  I would like to try something with less baggage.  No, I have not tried Xanax.
Wombat...what about something like Questran or Colestid (cholesterol lowering meds that remove bile acids). I'm not sure if this is what you're interested in.
My cholesterol is GREAT: 151 last week.  (Was in the hospital after ERCP; will do separate post on that someday soon; ALT, AST and bilirubin were high).  What I seem to notice is gripping in my chest after eating fatty meals.  Nothing in the gut, just gripping in the chest, as if someone were squeezing my esophagus.  I noticed the same thing with CCK stimulation.  I know the literature which indicates that endogenous CCK can affect LES function and that Xanax is a CCK antagonist.  Am wondering if such an approach could benefit me.  Or more precisely, if there is something with less risk and baggage than Xanax that could benefit me.  

Thank you so much, and I will review,
When I was told to change my diet I did 6 years ago and lost 40 lbs. I am on a bland diet so I know I can't control with diet alone .
I have given up alot and do as directed and find comfort at my MVP support club. Wish me luck at the G.I. appt. today Hope to be eating a little more soon.........
I wasn't suggesting that your cholesterol needed lowering. Those meds just happen to remove bile which is what CCK is all about. CCK or Cholecystokinin is the hormone secreted by the small
intestine that stimulates gallbladder contraction hence the bile which may be culpret in bile reflux. I never read anything about CCK affecting the LES. If you have that information I would be very interested.
Here is some info on CCK affecting the LES:

The below is a summary of the article "Endogenous cholecystokinin enhances postprandial gastroesophageal reflux in humans through extrasphincteric receptors".  Clav
What a informed message board;
I would like to know if xanax could then heal the problem. It is a very addictive drug, I read.
Why does ones LES weaken and how would it strenghthen on its own.
What primary requirements for that study. Do you have a website I could forward to the G.I. nurse ?
Is there a correlation with ones CNS ?
Thank you for the article summary. Is there a URL that I can access this article or the summary? I tried the American Journal of Gastroenterology (1998 issues)but I couldn't find this particular article. I know many people on Heartburn-help.com forum would be interested in seeing it.
A related discussion, Erectile dysfunction was started.