Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
abdominal muscle spasms.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

abdominal muscle spasms.

I am 32 yrs old.  I have a daughter who is 7 yrs. old.  Before pregnancy, I was very athletically fit.  I had very strong abdominal muscles.  After I had my daughter, and lost most of my weight, I noticed certain strains in my upper quad muscles under the right and left sides of my rib cage.  These spasms would occur during ab. workouts, intense coughing, but especially during sexual intercourse.  It feels as if there is as knot on one side or the other, which ever happens first that sits on top of my rib cage.  It is very painful and I have to lay very still and almost stretch myself out on the floor to get the muscle to unwrap itself from my rib cage.  After about five minutes or so, the muscle twitches awhile and then everything seems normal.  However, for about 2-3 days I am so brused, that I feel like I have been used as a punching bag.  Then it goes away completely until the next time etc etc... I had talked to my doctor about these muscle cramps that occur in my right leg a few months ago, and he dismissed it as common. I did not bring up the abdominal situation for fear of embarresment, or not being able to explain it correctly.  However, I feel the two are related in some way.  I have the same muscle weekness in my upper arms ( tricep), while working out.  It's like my muscles get stuck or something.  I am very confused and afraid.  Is it a vitamin defficiancy or something greater?  I have doubled up on my calcium due to prior advice.  NO change.  I was diagnosed with SVT, (supra ventricular tacchycardia) in 2002.  I was put on Cardizem for about a yr.(calcium channel blocker).  Then followed up with a diffent cardiologist, who prescribed me toprol xl 50 mg.daily. I have been taking that for over a yr. now.  NO problems what so ever with my hypertension/tacchycardia.
However the syptoms (symptoms) of the leg cramps / abdominal spasms began right after my daughter was born in 1998. I mentioned the cardiology because I wasnt sure if they may be related.  Sometimes I also get a tingling in my back along with numbness.  Is this a muscle thing?  Is it something to be completely alarmed about?  I am posting my question in hopes of a better understanding.  When I return to my doctor I want to be able to explain my situation and concerns correctly to avoid numerous tests,... etc etc.  My insurance isn't the greatest.  Thank you so much for your time and knowledge.  I appreciaste it.
Shannon
Several options can be considered.  The first can be any electrolyte abnormality, which can lead to muscle spasms or twitching.  Checking potassium, calcium and sodium levels, as well as muscle enzymes tests, can be considered.  In addition, tests for vitamin b-12 an thyroid can also be considered, since changes in these levels can lead to some muscle symptoms.

If there is an issue with muscle weakness, then you may want to consider a neurology evaluation to determine if a nerve disorder or problem is leading to the weakness.  Sometimes an EMG can be helpful in diagnosing these problems.

If the tests remain non-revealing, you can consider a referral to a physiatrist (rehabilitation specialist) who can help direct you in various exercises and modalities that can help the muscle symptoms.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Have you tried a magnesium supplement. Many people are magnesium deficient. Liquid magnesium gets in your system faster and has an immediate effect on your muscles and cramping. I wonder if you had an epidural when you had your daughter. That might explain the occasional numbness and tingling in your back. My friend and I both have experienced that fromm time to time and we both had epidurals. Our numbness is on the right side of the spine just under the shoulder blade. I hope you feel better.
I'm very curious about an actual answer for this.  I have the same problem when I lean over, like when I spit in the sink while brushing my teeth, my lower abdominal muscles will begin to spasm and it hurts.  I also have problems sometimes when it feels like my guts come out underneath my ribs.  What would be the cause of this???
A related discussion, Abdominal spasms was started.
A related discussion, Muscle Spasms/Cramping/Weakness? was started.