Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
abdominal pain in the upper left hand side, below the left rib cage

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi!  I recently have been experiencing pain in the upper left hand side of the abdomen, below the left rib cage for about three weeks.  The pain feels like a sore muscle pain (similiar to pain one experiences from lifting something too heavy) and then I feel the pain in my left rib cage and shortly thereafter the pain goes into my back into the middle section of the back.  I saw the doctor and he first suspected gastritis.  However, the test results came back normal and the h. pylori test was negative.  In addition, food does not aggravate the pain.  I can sleep throughout the night but during the waking hours the pain is there.  The pain arrives suddenly and then can last for hours or for days.  There are some days when the pain is not there and I feel like my old self- healthy and happy.  I would appreciate it if someone would answer my question.
Ask for some tests for pancreatitis
fecal fat
fecal elastase
amylase lipase blood test
trypsin test
ERCP

that should be a start
have same type of pain and some bleeding when I have bowel movement.....have you been tested for colon problems?
Thanks for the information. I will definitely ask the doctor about the tests.  Just to let you know, I am still having the pain but it is not as bad as before so I am hoping it is just gastritis.
Hi!  I just read your message.  I basically have abdominal pain in the upper left hand side and some pain in the rib cage.  The pain is like I pulled a muscle.  I don't have any other symptoms.  I am sorry to hear you are experiencing the same type of pain.  It really *****.  I hope your doctor finds out what the problem is in your case.  I wish you the best of luck.
For about a week I've been having lower left side pains, almost like a pulled muscle. My Dr. says it might be Pleurisy, but I have other symptoms like fever etc. I've had these pains before , but always before my menstration, and then they would go away, only lasting a day or so. Any women out there with this problem?
.
..
A related discussion, abdominal pain was started.
Hello I have been experiencing excruciating pain in my ribs and back for over 10 years. The pain can be so debilitating. It really never goes away. It does have different levels and the past week it has been increasing. I am now in what I call fight or flight mode and desperate to make it stop. I have been to many doctors and they all say I am healthy. I have tried pain meds anything to make it go away. The pain is so intense I can not breath, I feel like I am going to throw up, can't sleep. I am in such pain it has effected my emotional stablility. During these times  I have lost jobs because I am "unfocused, irrational, panicky, and! agitated". These pain episodes are ruining my life. Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of pain and do you have any suggestions for relief.