Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
acid reflux or is it more?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

acid reflux or is it more?

My dad has has acid reflux but about 6 months ago I rushed him to the emergency room thinking he was having a heart attack. They kept him overnight, he was pale white, short of breath, chest pain, and nauseous. They said the next day they believed it was from his acid reflux. He also did a stress test and his heart was fine. Now today he almost fainted, beads of sweet, white as a ghost, nauseous, and very weak. Will be going to the doctor tomorrow. He is always nauseous and gets really bad headaches. Does anybody have these systoms? Could it be more than acid reflux? He has a good diet, cut down on the coffee more than half, does not smoke, and stress free. He is 50 years old. Thanks!
1 Comment
Shortness of breath and chest pain should be taken very seriously by the doctors . My mom had the same thing and they gave her a heart test...not a stress test but when they stick those things all over your body with the wires and everything was normal. After a couple of trips to emergencey at two different hospitals...the first saying she was normal after alot of tests, the second hospital discovered she had had a small heart attack. The she started to get pains in her head and dizzy spells while she was in the hospital and a few days later she had a stroke. It might be an idea for your dad to have a portable heart monitor hooked up to him as your heart could be functioning normal at the time they do the test but what about later. Maybe it is acid reflux but I have heard from doctors from both my mom and dad's heart experiences in the hospital...that a heart attack can come in the guise of a feeling of heart burn and nausea. My husband's father too complained about heartburn...a burning from his esphogous to his stomach before he had his heart attack as I remember going to the drug store to find something for acid reflux for him.
I think your dad has to be given more tests and checked out more extensively.
Goodluck, virgo