Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
acute pancreatitis recovery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

acute pancreatitis recovery

In October I had an ERCP performed to find the cause of severe abdominal pain I have experienced off and on for many years.  The diagnosis was just an extremely sensitive stomach that spasms when irritated.  Within 24 hours I had developed acute pancreatitis and was hospitalized.  The doctor said it was caused from the dye in the ERCP.  I recovered fully in a months time and returned to normal diet and activity.  Through the holidays, I drank alcohol and ate whatever I wanted.  I am now having the same pain I felt in the recovery period after being hospitalized in October.  Should I completely obstain from alcohol from now on?  What about high fat foods?  I DO NOT want to end up with chronic pancreatitis and the problems that causes.  I am 40 years old and female and had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago because of gallstones.  Thanks for your help!
____
Dear Renee Deck,
Alcohol can cause and/or exacerbate pancreatitis. If you think that taking alcohol is causing pancreatitis, then you should abstain.  High fat foods are not good for you 9or anyone else) but should not cause pancreatitis.  The probability that you will evolve to chronic pancreatitis is very low.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questiosn to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: pancreatitis
0.1