Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
anal polyps

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

anal polyps
Question on anal polyps

I have just had a flexi sigi done my lower colon was fine and also my rectum was fine but when the doc checked my anus there was two small bumps same colour as the rest of my anus I asked the doc if these where normal she said yes, I was also told at the end that everything was normal.
She did not tell me what they where but after looking at pics on the net they looked like very small polyps  I do not go back to the consultant for two weeks yet.

My Question is

If they were small polyps can they cause the discomfort I have had in my anus for the last 5 weeks or so IE a dull ache when sitting for any length of time and some times when I walk also some mild burning? I have had a fissure.

What would small piles look like with a sigi .

I also thought that polyps were removed when found she did not do a biopsy  

Also can she tell by looking if they were cancerous??

Other than polyps and piles  is there anything else which would look like a small bump ???

Thanks for any help
To answer your questions:
1) It is possible for anal polyps to present with the discomfort that you described.

2) A picture of an anal polyp can be found here:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010701/77_f13.jpg

3) If the polyps looked suspicious to your physician, a biopsy can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

4) Difficult to say without examination, but hemorrhoids are also a possibility.  

You can discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
hi please reply
it did not look like. that not that big. not so round.
more oval
thank you for the reply
I think a gastroenterologist can distinguish between hyperplastic polyps (which are benign) and adenomatous polyps (which are precancerous) by looking.  If they were adenomatous polyps, the GI doc would have removed them and had biopsies performed.

I am not a doctor, so you should follow up with you personal physician to be on the safe side.
.