Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
another elevated enzymes question

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

another elevated enzymes question

I have read many of the responses to the advice already given.  This is my question.  Today I was informed that I have elevated Alk/phosphates, elevated bilirubin, as well as elevated ALT.  The other tests came back fine.  I haven't yet seen this combination of results in the questions posted.  I am a 23 year old female that is overweight.  I excercise pretty much daily to try to lose weight(doesn't seem to work).  I have just had the set of thryroid tests and they have all come back fine.  As a teen I had hypoglycemia controlled by diet.  I have been tested for HIV and it was negative.  I am a non-drinker(maybe 4 times a year).  I do not and never have smoked or used drugs.  I use Tylenol very occaisionally for the odd headache and usually take less than the amount indicated on the back of the container(1-2 per headache).  My doctor has not disclosed much information except that they want to monitor these levels every 6 weeks.  I am just not sure what this all means or what to think of this.  Is there something I can be doing to help this situation any?  Thank you for your time.

_
Dear Janet,
There are many possible causes for elevated alk phos, bilirubin and ALT. Your history excludes a;cphp; related liver disease. Your doctor needs to check for viral, autoimmuine and metabolic liver disease(Wilson's Disease). Blood and urine tests will exclude these diseases.  An ultrasound study of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas is needed to exclude structural causes for your elevated liver tests.  Medication-related liver disease is also unlikely.  In many instances, the underlying cause is fatty liver.  Before reaching thi sconclusion, however, it will be necessary to exclude the other potential causes that have been listed.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: elevated liver tests, fatty liver
0.1