Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
anxiety and diarrhea

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

anxiety and diarrhea

On Friday, four days ago, I became very scared and nervous, over something that has turned out to be a non-issue.  Within a few hours of my worrying, I felt the need to go to the bathroom.  I had a mild case of diarrhea.  Mostly gas and a little bit of very moist soft stools.  
     The problem is that my stools have not returned to normal.  I'm going to the bathroom about six times a day, and only have very small amounts of feces.  Otherwise I feel fine, look normal, but Ive lost about three pounds, and my appetite has suffered.  
      On Monday, I had basic blood work done and urine specimen taken which came back normal.  I have an appointment with my general practioner in a couple of days.
     I was happy and in good health right up until this incident.  I do believe it is a result of the anxiety, I felt, because a similar incident happenned to me about a year ago, after worrying about a bad reaction i had to neuronton for sciatic pain.  I remember it being more like normal diarrhea, and only lasted a few days.
      Now I'm worried that this is going to be a chronic problem, which is probably making my situation worse.
     Will this situation clear up by itself, or what is the normal course of treatment for this problem?  Thank you  RLM4949
Anxiety can worsen cases of irritable bowel syndrome which can lead to diarrhea.  

You should also rule out more serious causes, like infection or inflammatory bowel disease.  Sending the stool off for culture and analysis should be done.  If the symptoms continue, a lower endoscopy (either a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy) can be considered.  

If the tests continue to be non-revealing, treating both the anxiety and irritable bowel syndrome should be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Can the moderator here stop this guy from prosleytising his diagnosis and treatment?
I find it very offensive.
I have breast cancer and Crohn's and although I have had some complementary therapies, like reflexology and aromatherapy, this guy is out of order. We certainly don't need quack like diagnoses and treatments when we are dealing with a life threatening disease. Please stop this guy from posting, for all our sakes.
Liz.
You must be talking about Alphaazul...his ads have all been deleted now.