Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
anxiety and diarrhea
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

anxiety and diarrhea

On Friday, four days ago, I became very scared and nervous, over something that has turned out to be a non-issue.  Within a few hours of my worrying, I felt the need to go to the bathroom.  I had a mild case of diarrhea.  Mostly gas and a little bit of very moist soft stools.  
     The problem is that my stools have not returned to normal.  I'm going to the bathroom about six times a day, and only have very small amounts of feces.  Otherwise I feel fine, look normal, but Ive lost about three pounds, and my appetite has suffered.  
      On Monday, I had basic blood work done and urine specimen taken which came back normal.  I have an appointment with my general practioner in a couple of days.
     I was happy and in good health right up until this incident.  I do believe it is a result of the anxiety, I felt, because a similar incident happenned to me about a year ago, after worrying about a bad reaction i had to neuronton for sciatic pain.  I remember it being more like normal diarrhea, and only lasted a few days.
      Now I'm worried that this is going to be a chronic problem, which is probably making my situation worse.
     Will this situation clear up by itself, or what is the normal course of treatment for this problem?  Thank you  RLM4949