Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
ast/alt - high levels but low ration

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

ast/alt - high levels but low ration

Background:  I'm male, age 36.  I'm 6-4, approx 225 pounds.  I just received the results of a life insurance exam and am concerned.  I haven't seen a doctor for about 4 or 5 years, and the last time was merely for a physical since I hadn't seen one for several years prior to that.  I could exercise more, but I do better than others.  I drink socially, usually on most days of the week (2 to 4 drinks) and have for several years.  In terms of how I feel physically, I feel fine which is why I never go to the doctor.

My AST is 53, my ALT is 125 and my GGT is 87.  All my other tests from the blood test were within the normal range, except for slighly elevated cholesterol (but cholesterol/HDL rationwas within normal range, as was LDL/HDL) and slightly elevated triglycerides (240).

Other than telling me to go see a doctor finally, any thoughts on the likely causes or whether I should be concerned?  With what little you know, is this the type of thing I can change with lifestyle changes?  Medication?  Is it likely my liver is damaged and this will stay or be progressive?  Thanks.
Mild liver enzyme elevations can be due to many reversible causes.  Any ingestion of alcohol can injure the liver, and usually appears with a doubling of AST in relation to ALT (or more).  That is not the case for you.  That doesn't mean alcohol isn't injuring your liver, the safest thing is to stop drinking.  Other medications, supplements, even obesity, can injure your liver.

See your doctor to check on any reversible resaons for this.

Enoch Choi, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, mother needs to know if she has cancer? was started.