Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
back pain-left side, lower rib cage

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

back pain-left side, lower rib cage

What could be the cause of sudden back pain? At it's worst it radiated across the mid section of back and brought on severe shakes, vomiting, muscle aches, and burning with urination. Was seen by ER doctor who did blood work, urine test and abdominal x-rays. They thought there was a blockage in small intestine but CT scan did not show this or anything else. Was given pain med, zantac and antibiotics via IV bag but discharged with diagnosis of viral infection because they weren't able to make another diagnosis. Back pain is localized now on left side, have dizziness and weak. Could there be other reasons for these symptoms? Need to start feeling better. Thank you.
There can be many causes of sudden back pain.  This can include musculoskeletal causes, kidney causes (i.e. an infection or stone), as well as GI causes (i.e. pancreatitis or an ulcer).  

If the CT scan was negative, that may make some GI causes less likely.  You can consider an upper GI series to evaluate for the possibility of an ulcer or inflammation that can cause this.

A helical CT scan looking for kidney stones can be considered.  A normal urine test would make a kidney infection less like (i.e. pyelonephritis).  

To look for musculoskeletal causes, you can consider a back MRI.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I had a burning pain in my back, at the middle and next to my spine. I also had a sore and burning pain in my throat on the left side. I had this condition for quite sometime until my doctor told me it was acid reflux. The acid was burning all the way up my esophagus. I was given pepcid and I feel much better.
i have the exact same lower left side back pain . I have a duadina ulcer( probably spelt wrong )  ( had it for 6 years and take daily meds of zoton 30 mg ) The backpain however is new and follows both a 6 week spell of bells palsy and a viral infection. I have been tested for all sorts and the docs have found nothing . The main concern is that the pain only follows regular bowel movement . If i have no bowel movement ( no pain ) It is more a discomfort than a pain ( more like an ache )

Will update you as i get more results
i have back pain alongwit right abdominal pain and blood/mucus in stools. i have been given cimetidine and it works a little bit but not much
A related discussion, LOST 30 was started.
A related discussion, what can cause my pain? was started.
A related discussion, wat should i do? was started.
A related discussion, low back rib pain was started.